Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated is Hiring

Default Consolidated is Hiring

Locators are needed in the Florence S.C. area for marking AT&T and Verizon. Also a locator is needed in Myrtle Beach S.C. for marking Verizon.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Consolidated is Hiring

Wouldn't CUS have picked up all the old UQ guys from the old contract????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    Wouldn't CUS have picked up all the old UQ guys from the old contract????
    I find that often new contract holders do not want all of the old incumbent firm's locators.

Years of Experience

how then could they go in and survive without them????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

how are the benefits with this company? i would bewilling to relocate if the benefits are very good (medical, dental ect) the company i am with now has very high and EXTREMELY shity benefits... my prescriptions are very high even with the insurance

i am a locator but i also earn higher then the "average" locator currently make over $19 an hour and to move down there i would be looking for over $20 per, is this something you think they would do?
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    how then could they go in and survive without them????

Normally the new company will take all the good locators and then ship in "traveling locators" to help while new guys are trained.

Alot of the time the other company is already working in the same area. So when a new contract is taken over it is just increasing the new companies density so they don't need as many guys as the old company had because they already have guys in the same area doing other utilities.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    how are the benefits with this company? i would bewilling to relocate if the benefits are very good (medical, dental ect) the company i am with now has very high and EXTREMELY shity benefits... my prescriptions are very high even with the insurance

i am a locator but i also earn higher then the "average" locator currently make over $19 an hour and to move down there i would be looking for over $20 per, is this something you think they would do?
    Forget gross hourly rate and benefits until you compare the cost of living in the two areas. You could possibly move there and work for $18 an hour, a pay cut, but do to the cost of living be netting more money.

Check housing in the target area, that is big one. Call your auto insurance company and give them the zip code you would be living in, your rates may go down or up dramatically.

Years of Experience

well thats easy... i live in the most expensive housing market in the us... so anywhere i go is cheaper
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    well thats easy... i live in the most expensive housing market in the us... so anywhere i go is cheaper
    Try this link, http://www.kw.com/kw/ Keller Williams Realty and this site will get you into the multiple listing systems of most of the country. Best for houses for sale but some rentals. Gives you an idea what to expect and enough area info to make a trip and look around.

Double this up with mapquest or google maps and search by cites, towns, zip codes or counties.

Years of Experience

well ...........it's no secret now......they are hiring in our state too!!! BUT, I do not want to say anything any further about this!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by [HAF]Foxtrot View Post
    Locators are needed in the Florence S.C. area for marking AT&T and Verizon. Also a locator is needed in Myrtle Beach S.C. for marking Verizon.
    And this year Utiliquest lost all of their Verizon contract in Virginia as well as WSSC, Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, which covers most of Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties Maryland. WSSC's service area is 1,000 square miles, a population of about 1.8 million and is the 8th largest water and waste water facility in the United States. They also lost some marking contract for water and sewer in Virginia, I think PinPoint picked up that contract.

Rumblings are that by the end of this year or early next year they will lose two major contracts in Maryland alone and maybe a smaller one in DC.

Utiliquest and USIC are making a lot of opportunities for their competitors. Time for their locators and foremen to get their resume and references in order. As pointed out the firms that pick up the lost contracts need not and do not hire all the incumbent firm's locators. I have been in that exact situation and the idea that we simply work for the other firm is not valid at all. Always best to get out before the collapse.

Years of Experience

HA! hey PL , I thought gloom and doom wasn't your style?????......ha! Thanks for the warning!

Rumor has it that they (Utiliquest) got the Virginia Verizon back from CUS as the state passed some sort of electronic sketching law and CUS did not want any part of it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    Rumor has it that they (Utiliquest) got the Virginia Verizon back from CUS as the state passed some sort of electronic sketching law and CUS did not want any part of it.
    S&N Locating, not CUS, took the Virginia Verizon contract contract from Utiliquest. S&N Locating does electronic sketching.

S&N Locating is a new firm less than a year old and is a subsidiary of S&N Communications, a cable installation firm, whose principal customer is Verizon.

S&N hired anywhere from 20 to 40 locators out of Utiliquest's Maryland offices and these locators are hoping the Maryland Verizon contract is taken by S&N so they can work closer to home. They travel all the way into Virgina to get away from working at Utiliquest and if their firm does not take the contract they still no longer have to work at Utiliquest, seems the hour or hour long plus drive is worth it to get away from Utiliquest.

S&N cross trained some of their cable installers to be locators so in Summer when the locating load is high these installers will locate. Then in Winter they go back to installing instead of being laid off locators. This way they keep a year round staff of qualified locators. Also they plan to cross train locators to do installation work so if need be they can do installation rather than be laid off. Their goal is to keep employees by lowering their loss rate by offering full 40 horu week employment year round.

I know in Maryland a few years ago after losing the Comcast contract Utiliquest put their Beltsville office locators on a four hour workday, during summer workload, offering only 20 hours a week. This way they could not claim unemployment due to being terminated.

Florence – 2 Locate Technicians – locating Verizon & AT&T

Myrtle Beach – 1 Locate Technician – locating Verizon

Pay scale will be $12 - $16 per hour with piece rate once qualified.

We are offering the following relocation package:

Two (2) weeks pay via regular payroll processing in advance of moving to new district.

10 days lodging paid for by CUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast