Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Concerns for Utility Locators in California using GPR and EMI locators

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Concerns for Utility Locators in California using GPR and EMI locators

Quote Originally Posted by 1stCall View Post
    Does anyone have an update on this? We just received a letter from the Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists stating that we are performing geophysical services without holding the appropriate license. Wondering how to best respond to the charges.
    You reply by telling the to shove it and that they have to first prove their claim to the state government. Put the burden of proof on them and let the spend their time and money.

The state will be on your side because the existence of locate contractors was created by the state. The states regulate utility rates and pressured utility companies to reduce operating costs. Locating was done in-house and was subcontracted out due to this pressure from the state The coat inc4rease of using these licensed individuals would skyrocket and the state would be forced to grant rate increases to cover this. Another effect would be locating to go back in house because the licensing requirents often do not apply to direct employees of utility firms which would also increase costs.
    Cuda and 1stCall like this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Concerns for Utility Locators in California using GPR and EMI locators

The letter is from the Enforcement Board for Professional Engineers (etc) and the complaint alleges that we are "performing geophysical services without holding the appropriate licensure." I have no idea what this is about and trying to read the statues and regulations around this does not help.

The request is that we "submit a description of the services we provide, including but not limited to the manner in which GPR equipment is utilized and methods used for utility mapping." It just seems off to me. Like a fishing expedition.

Years of Experience
    a few

I use GPR to find utilities, I do not do near surface investigations like sink holes, or looking for water etc. If I was sent that letter and I was not doing anything that is in their field it would go in the trash as the board has power over the people in that industry and since I am not......

Years of Experience

If it was me I would say:

1st: GFY
    2nd: you have to expect that kinda weird shit in Kalifornia... glad I don't reside in that ****ed up state.
    3rd: find a new line of work and get rid of all the bs/hassle/stress

JMHO

Years of Experience

What state agency regulates utility locators in the area in question? In Virginia utility locating is regulated by the State Corporation Commission. Here we would just forward the letter to them and let them clean up the mess.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Seems like they are confused. They may use GPR themselves to survey the ground for geophysical stuff like ground water or differences in soil etc. You use GPR to find things in the ground that were put there by people in much the same way a handheld locator finds things in the ground that were put there by people. No difference.

However, some of these boards have the backing of regulations and they could have the power to determine you are using it for geophysical purposes even though you aren't. I'm thinking a lawyer might be a good idea.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Seems like they are confused. They may use GPR themselves to survey the ground for geophysical stuff like ground water or differences in soil etc. You use GPR to find things in the ground that were put there by people in much the same way a handheld locator finds things in the ground that were put there by people. No difference.

However, some of these boards have the backing of regulations and they could have the power to determine you are using it for geophysical purposes even though you aren't. I'm thinking a lawyer might be a good idea.
    I'm thinking throw it back on them and let them spend their money on lawyers. In the end they will loose or if they realize what winning would mean back down.

If they won their people doing simple locates and all the hassle and overhead they do not want. Also the utility companies taking locating in-house would negate their win. Utility employees do not have to meet most state licensing requirements which is why linemen are not licensed electricians.

Years of Experience

I, myself, was trying look for a utility locator as well before. I googled and found this number 8-1-1. I called them and they said they were a public locator who only locate underground lines on public property (which means up to the meter). I eventually found out the water line that I tried to locate was on private property which 811 could not help me. So finally, I went with Penhall and they helped me with my situation. You can find more information about Penhall as private locator here: https://www.penhall.com/utility-locating/.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12