Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By superman
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Communication in this profession!

Years of Experience

Exclamation Communication in this profession!

My Sup puts a ticket that's 45 min away from my area. It was at the end of the day,

I get there, look at the notes in the ticket, I find out a noob was there earlier that day...
    The note said, "Can't locate power meter, tv, or any other utilities on prop."
    it was a cable drop...
    okay...(deep breath)

It was a townhouse complex/ condo with "block" or "shared power"
    The power meter was inside the house, no access.
    The CATV ped was 1 ft from the building with all the lines in a shared conduit going into the building.
    no gas.
    1 Fiber svc from near the tv ped to a HH 10 ft away.
    The entire locate took 5 min.
    About a 10ft X 10ft area to locate.......

To get the pwr svc I connected to the XF...
    okay...

I call my sup and ask for the noobs phone#. So I can go over the ticket he didn't complete
    so he will know what to do when he sees something like that again.

He says I don't need to call him.
    I say I want to, so I don't have to drive 45 min AGAIN near the END OF MY DAY
    to complete a ticket that is easily do-able for a noob if he had just called someone and asked how to do it...

WHAT IS IT WITH THIS INDUSTRY?
    They don't want us to talk to each other for help?
    locating at first is not easy, and after 2 weeks of training one will not know everything.

I got a ticket from a noob an intersection, he didn't even go there and try it,
    he looked at the print, he said, "it looked hard" and told the sup he couldn't do it.....

IF noobs would AT LEAST TRY to do tickets,
    IF they NEVER TRY the ticket, they'll NEVER LEARN HOW TO DO IT....

So I get 8 more tix today that noobs didn't do..
    I understand everyone's different,
    BUT, Some things you have to do it, AND make some mistakes to really learn it.

How are your group's noobs doing?
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Years of Experience

Default Re: Communication in this profession!

Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    My Sup puts a ticket that's 45 min away from my area. It was at the end of the day,

I get there, look at the notes in the ticket, I find out a noob was there earlier that day...
    The note said, "Can't locate power meter, tv, or any other utilities on prop."
    it was a cable drop...
    okay...(deep breath)

It was a townhouse complex/ condo with "block" or "shared power"
    The power meter was inside the house, no access.
    The CATV ped was 1 ft from the building with all the lines in a shared conduit going into the building.
    no gas.
    1 Fiber svc from near the tv ped to a HH 10 ft away.
    The entire locate took 5 min.
    About a 10ft X 10ft area to locate.......

To get the pwr svc I connected to the XF...
    okay...

I call my sup and ask for the noobs phone#. So I can go over the ticket he didn't complete
    so he will know what to do when he sees something like that again.

He says I don't need to call him.
    I say I want to, so I don't have to drive 45 min AGAIN near the END OF MY DAY
    to complete a ticket that is easily do-able for a noob if he had just called someone and asked how to do it...

WHAT IS IT WITH THIS INDUSTRY?
    They don't want us to talk to each other for help?
    locating at first is not easy, and after 2 weeks of training one will not know everything.

I got a ticket from a noob an intersection, he didn't even go there and try it,
    he looked at the print, he said, "it looked hard" and told the sup he couldn't do it.....

IF noobs would AT LEAST TRY to do tickets,
    IF they NEVER TRY the ticket, they'll NEVER LEARN HOW TO DO IT....

So I get 8 more tix today that noobs didn't do..
    I understand everyone's different,
    BUT, Some things you have to do it, AND make some mistakes to really learn it.

How are your group's noobs doing?
    What the hell does your sup do? Sounds like your doing his work for him!!
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Once upon a time I had no issue going out and helping a noob on a job but I damn sure wouldn't tolerate getting stuck with a job just because they didn't want to do it. The thing that would piss me off quicker than anything was going out to a job to help a noob and arriving there to find them sitting in their truck when there were things in the locate that they could have been marking. I can understand a fiber or duct run giving a noob trouble, but when they're not trying to do any of it..... That just tells me that they don't really care, they just want someone else to do it and the Sup wouldn't move the ticket for them.

Years of Experience
    na

Reminder - First rule of the locator " I will always default aggravation to the primary priority - " stuffing of the pockets "

Years of Experience

I just hate it when a lazy vet calls you to take a ticket, or bullshits a sup into moving one to you. It's the same as a n00b, but in my experience the tickets from a vet are always harder, bigger,grizzlier. Then again, some vets just keep getting lazier as time goes by.

A n00b can have the desire and drive to perform a locate, and just plum not have the technical ability or experience to back all that gusto up.

It's easy to get discouraged and just say f*ck it when you don't know what to do. I remember being tripped up for hours on locates that I'd blow through in five minutes now.

If the n00b really just cannot do that locate, then your Sup should definitely let you teach him what is up... but from the sounds of it, the guy is just lazy. Sounds like he didn't even have to come up with a good excuse, much less have a real reason to conflict the ticket. Your boss knows that you'll take less time than the n00b to do the ticket, and would obviously rather pay you $5.00 to do it in 20 minutes than to let the lazy n00b get paid $22.00 for taking two hours to perform a simple locate.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    I just hate it when a lazy vet calls you to take a ticket, or bullshits a sup into moving one to you. It's the same as a n00b, but in my experience the tickets from a vet are always harder, bigger,grizzlier. Then again, some vets just keep getting lazier as time goes by.

A n00b can have the desire and drive to perform a locate, and just plum not have the technical ability or experience to back all that gusto up.

It's easy to get discouraged and just say f*ck it when you don't know what to do. I remember being tripped up for hours on locates that I'd blow through in five minutes now.

If the n00b really just cannot do that locate, then your Sup should definitely let you teach him what is up... but from the sounds of it, the guy is just lazy. Sounds like he didn't even have to come up with a good excuse, much less have a real reason to conflict the ticket. Your boss knows that you'll take less time than the n00b to do the ticket, and would obviously rather pay you $5.00 to do it in 20 minutes than to let the lazy n00b get paid $22.00 for taking two hours to perform a simple locate.
    I only send another tech out if I cannot get there myself. As supervisor I need to know why this person cannot do the job and then teach them how to do it.
    If they keep calling for help on that kind of ticket I know they are just trying to get out of doing the harder tickets. So if a RIF comes up I need the people that wil do the work and not the lazy ones. Plus development and training of techs is one of the primary duties of a supervisor.

Back in the day before cell phones and laptops work was distributed by pages of paper in the morning. One guy, can't remember his name - just called him Smiley, if you called to ask for paint or anything would bring you stuff but then insist you take a couple of his jobs. Even if you came to help him or deliver supplies he tried to pawn jobs off on you. This before cell phones and all communication was by two way radio in the truck. When anyone called out everyone heard it. Soon none of the other locators would answer his calls.
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

send on the noobe tickets !!!!!!!!! LOVE the OT that it would bring !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato