Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 70
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: closing one door, opening another

  1. #31
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Thanks. I was working Raleigh for awhile on the at&t start up. Turned down the offer to relocate there.
    Relocation package offer was way too low among other reasons.

  2. #32
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Now able to control where I am for breakfast, lunch and dinner I have dropped 12 pounds since quitting. Plus if I dropped my calorie intake too low when working I did not have the energy needed for outside work.

    My efforts to pick a winning lottery ticket have been less successful.

    My weight is now 24 pounds less. Soon I will just disappear.
    The Big-E likes this.

  3. #33
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    I have been able to reopen the joys of reading.

    Stephen King's 'Dr. Sleep', the sequel to 'The Shineing'. Little Danny Torence is all grown up and facing his own personal demons as well as real ones.

    'The Mask of Sanity' by Dr. Hervey Cleckley. A study of the psychopathic personality.
    TheCableVine likes this.

  4. #34
    Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Locator's Paradise
    Posts
    111
    Years of Experience
    9
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Actually reading books, now?! Well, we have to put a stop to this.

    Maybe you could start a Limited Liability Company (LLC) for a few hundred bucks of paperwork. Then, purchase a used electromagnetic locator on ebay for like $1,500 - $2,000 or so.

    Then, put your name on the state one call website if they have a private locator list. Most one call centers in each state have a private locator list.

    You won't have a GPR to locate plastic or concrete, so you can't do everything. But you could buy a metal snake up to 200 feet for smaller plastic pipe locates or so.

    It won't cost much, and if you charge your clients the lowest rate in the area for private electromagnetic locating, you will likely get a few calls a week. Make sure you create a website for your LLC, too.

    That way, you won't get too bored and make a mild amount of spare income. You know you want to.

    Oh, and the best part, is that you can take your time doing the locates. You know, working for yourself and all.

    But if you still prefer to read, I recommend Deliverance by James Dickey. I've had a few run-in's with property owners that were not too far removed from the events in that book...

  5. #35
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    Actually reading books, now?! Well, we have to put a stop to this.

    Maybe you could start a Limited Liability Company (LLC) for a few hundred bucks of paperwork. Then, purchase a used electromagnetic locator on ebay for like $1,500 - $2,000 or so.

    Then, put your name on the state one call website if they have a private locator list. Most one call centers in each state have a private locator list.

    You won't have a GPR to locate plastic or concrete, so you can't do everything. But you could buy a metal snake up to 200 feet for smaller plastic pipe locates or so.

    It won't cost much, and if you charge your clients the lowest rate in the area for private electromagnetic locating, you will likely get a few calls a week. Make sure you create a website for your LLC, too.

    That way, you won't get too bored and make a mild amount of spare income. You know you want to.

    Oh, and the best part, is that you can take your time doing the locates. You know, working for yourself and all.

    But if you still prefer to read, I recommend Deliverance by James Dickey. I've had a few run-in's with property owners that were not too far removed from the events in that book...

    Hmmmm... Which would I'd rather do, paint dirt or pound shards of glass up my ass?

    If it makes you feel any safer Bill 'squeal like pig' McKinney died a few years ago. He was originally cast as the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket but Kubrick changed his mind because he felt that McKinney was 'too scary' to play the part.

  6. #36
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,908
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    looks like it's back to reading ole friend ! LOL
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  7. #37
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    I have taken to walking, got up to two miles a day minimum. Since my feet softened not walking to paint dirt I walk it barefoot.
    TheCableVine likes this.

  8. #38
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,908
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    exercise is good for you , it will improve you physically as well as mentally . hang in there buddy !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  9. #39
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Exercise is good. I need to do some-o-dat.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  10. #40
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Exercise is good. I need to do some-o-dat.
    Deliver pizza on foot. Work and exercise at same time.
    yahoo likes this.

  11. #41
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    okay, an update.

    Out of hospital, had 2nd stroke.
    Much like the first my speech is damaged and again have to learn to speak clearly again. Also difficult to eat and drink again.

    MRI was not conclusive about what type, blockage or rupture blood vessel. But since
    I have high blood pressure they selected that high bp. Since I have lost 45+ lbs untreated bp is much lower than it used to be. Still is high enough to be called "severe" .
    My bp is greatly unresponsive to medication and now on 3 different meds to get it low enough to get discharged from hospital.

    My bp now is in the high for a few hours and goes back up, nothing makes it normal. 4-F at my draft physical at age 19.

    Now must do speech therapy and continue to loose weight and get to 180 lbs. 25 lbs to go.

    Well, at least I am not painting dirt.

  12. #42
    Premium Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,121
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Hang in there PL. Your friends here on the Vine wish you the best and pray for a full rebound.
    Wingfoot and UULC like this.

  13. #43
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Hang in there PL. Your friends here on the Vine wish you the best and pray for a full rebound.
    Thanks Daman1 . Starting to feel better already.

    Damn, there I was in hospital and all my nurses pretty. So I have a room with bed and I am filled with enough BP medication to deflate the Hendinberg.


    Oh well too old anyway.

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    around the corner
    Posts
    548
    Years of Experience
    21
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Pro great to hear you are on the mend!! Hope they get that bp under control so you can enjoy many years of retirement. Take care

  15. #45
    Senior Member Wingfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    4,410
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    189

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Out of hospital, had 2nd stroke.
    Much like the first, my speech is damaged and have to learn to speak clearly again. Also difficult to eat and drink again.



    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •