Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: closing one door, opening another

  1. #16
    Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Locator's Paradise
    Posts
    111
    Years of Experience
    9
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    ProfessionalLocator, I can say with bulletproof certainty you were definitly my favorite poster on this site. I never missed a chance to declare you the 'carl sagan' of the cable vine. I hope that you continue to come back and post, even if you are not power passiving telephone ducts during the day anymore. I know that Steve also left the industry recently, and he still continues to post and share his opinions and thoughts. Although he does own the place.

    I must admit, I was surprised you declared your adjournment from the locating industry sooner rather than later. You always impressed me as the guy who had been here since the beginning. You've seen it all, and would be here for years to come. Honestly I think you actually have more one-call experience than anyone else here. You got you started in the 1980's didn't you say? I will also admit that your recent actions have inspired me to maybe do something similar in the near future...

    In the past I know I casually joked once that you should have started your own locating company, and then hired me as the vice president. Just because I gave you the idea. But in all seriousness, you are the strongest candidate out of a very small group of people (I can count on one hand) that I would strongly desire to actually work for. It's a shame we never crossed paths in the field, I would have talked your ear off and siphoned every last bit of interesting knowledge out of that genius level brain of yours.

    If the technology ever comes to pass that a clone army of underground locators could be made, they should use YOU as the base dna. 'Nuff said.

    "We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master." - Ernest Hemingway
    daman1, UULC, Wingfoot and 2 others like this.

  2. #17
    Premium Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,125
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    54

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post

    If the technology ever comes to pass that a clone army of underground locators could be made, they should use YOU as the base dna. 'Nuff said.

    "We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master." - Ernest Hemingway
    A clone army of Professional Locators !?! SKYNET becomes self aware next year. It's almost 2017. Remember? Are you sure we should risk it?
    .
    .
    .

    Last edited by daman1; June 11th, 2016 at 05:24 PM.
    yahoo likes this.

  3. #18
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    ProfessionalLocator, I can say with bulletproof certainty you were definitly my favorite poster on this site. I never missed a chance to declare you the 'carl sagan' of the cable vine. I hope that you continue to come back and post, even if you are not power passiving telephone ducts during the day anymore. I know that Steve also left the industry recently, and he still continues to post and share his opinions and thoughts. Although he does own the place.

    I must admit, I was surprised you declared your adjournment from the locating industry sooner rather than later. You always impressed me as the guy who had been here since the beginning. You've seen it all, and would be here for years to come. Honestly I think you actually have more one-call experience than anyone else here. You got you started in the 1980's didn't you say? I will also admit that your recent actions have inspired me to maybe do something similar in the near future...

    In the past I know I casually joked once that you should have started your own locating company, and then hired me as the vice president. Just because I gave you the idea. But in all seriousness, you are the strongest candidate out of a very small group of people (I can count on one hand) that I would strongly desire to actually work for. It's a shame we never crossed paths in the field, I would have talked your ear off and siphoned every last bit of interesting knowledge out of that genius level brain of yours.

    If the technology ever comes to pass that a clone army of underground locators could be made, they should use YOU as the base dna. 'Nuff said.

    "We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master." - Ernest Hemingway
    I started doing call before you dig locates around 1989 or 1990. I started underground cable fault locating in early 1973 which gave me a solid background for this.

    I may go back to locating as I have 12 months to opt out of Social Security retirement and return to full time work. That is an option I am keeping in mind and am using the retirement to bridge a move out of S&N.

  4. #19
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,912
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    you good people PL . you will do great no matter what you do
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  5. #20
    Senior Member sauroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Under Heaven's Skies
    Posts
    182
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Sad and glad to hear. I find the change great, a new skill learned, and a new change of scenery. It's sad how locate companies can burn you out on something you like doing.
    On another note, I have an opportunity for someone to change what they do, if they want. Probably not the best of pay, it is mindless work, but it offers outside work, excellent benefits, and a 9 to 5 position.
    As long as you don't mind 90 degree weather and bugs....

  6. #21
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Hey, PL... you sound like a person that needs a little time off. Enjoy it and stay busy with a hobby while you are figuring out what's next. I do several things myself. Although I now have a job (which is pretty much part-time) I still like to go to auctions and other places to buy stuff and resell it for a profit. It's fun and it pays for itself. I also do copper work. It's basic stuff but its fun to do.

    Just some ideas for ya.
    yahoo likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  7. #22
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Hey, PL... you sound like a person that needs a little time off. Enjoy it and stay busy with a hobby while you are figuring out what's next. I do several things myself. Although I now have a job (which is pretty much part-time) I still like to go to auctions and other places to buy stuff and resell it for a profit. It's fun and it pays for itself. I also do copper work. It's basic stuff but its fun to do.

    Just some ideas for ya.
    I took two weeks of use it or loose it PTO time early last May, it was about to run out. I really needed the time off as every night was locating nightmares. I was always doing a difficult locate several time a night that just would not work out. Several of these reoccurring dreams a night waking up three or four times.. I would wake up in the morning thinking that at had to go finish that as a first job, but it was only a dream and took awhile to understand this. As a result my mind was never rested and I slept poorly so my body was never rested, After those two weeks off only half my dreams were about impossible locates, now the dreams have stopped.

    One day I had gotten in and for dinner only had a small salad, got called out in middle of night for an oncall. Started working the heavy workload without breakfast, hit me around 10AM.
    I did no know what was happening to me as I had never fainted before. Figured out I was about to pass out and sat down in the yard. After the worst passed I slowly finished to locate. Drove to Taco Bell and got a large iced tea and three chicken tacos. Drank down half the tea waiting on the tacos as I figured my blood sugar was low. A little shaky for awhile but was able to finish the day.

    Today was a landmark, I slept until 6AM instead of getting up between 5 and 5:30.
    yahoo, UULC and TheCableVine like this.

  8. #23
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Okay,
    I understand why people who retire go back to work. I worked jobs with long hours my entire life. Not working feels unnatural. Hopefully this feeling will pass.
    TheCableVine likes this.

  9. #24
    Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Locator's Paradise
    Posts
    111
    Years of Experience
    9
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Hehe, PL, we had a guy retire earlier this year. One of the other guys I work with still talks to him and his wife. I just heard that Mr. Retired is having marital problems with his wife now. Being home all the time has apparently caused personality rifts between them. This kind of time together has literally never happend for so long, since he was always working. Now their marriage is stressed somehow more than it was when he was working.

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    821
    Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    They say the retirement is hard on the wife. Just because of that. The husband was always working and wifey got to do what she wanted. The hubby's friend base is usually based around work. So now the husband relies on the wife for her friend base and his free time.

  11. #26
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    They say the retirement is hard on the wife. Just because of that. The husband was always working and wifey got to do what she wanted. The hubby's friend base is usually based around work. So now the husband relies on the wife for her friend base and his free time.
    Maybe if I had a wife this would be easier on me.

  12. #27
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Now able to control where I am for breakfast, lunch and dinner I have dropped 12 pounds since quitting. Plus if I dropped my calorie intake too low when working I did not have the energy needed for outside work.

    My efforts to pick a winning lottery ticket have been less successful.
    Wingfoot and yahoo like this.

  13. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charlotte,NC
    Posts
    17
    Years of Experience
    26
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    I know how you feel. I left contract locating in 2003 and jumped into SUE, it is still challenging but the stress level is much less. A friend of mine left contract locating and started a private locating company, nothing big but he now has several regular clients and makes pretty good money. Good luck and if you ever move to NC and are looking for work let me know, we are a small group but are always looking for experienced people.

  14. #29
    Senior Member The Big-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    248
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Just reading all of this... Congrats on your "retirement" Come to Tampa, work in-house, no stress, less than average pay, no on-call or overtime ever, done by 3:30 and plenty of sunshine...

    Offer is serious...

  15. #30
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    Just reading all of this... Congrats on your "retirement" Come to Tampa, work in-house, no stress, less than average pay, no on-call or overtime ever, done by 3:30 and plenty of sunshine...

    Offer is serious...
    Sounds interesting. I get down there I will give you a call.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; July 13th, 2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: edited to fix html code

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •