Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: closing one door, opening another

  1. #1
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default closing one door, opening another

    Friday was my last day at S&N Locating after giving my two week notice. My goal now is to find a kick ass pizza joint and deliver pizza on my bicycle.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    around the corner
    Posts
    548
    Years of Experience
    21
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Good luck Pro!! Hope you get plenty of huge tips.( I hope you didn't go to the dark side)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Wingfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    4,401
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    189

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Friday was my last day at S&N Locating after giving my two week notice. My goal now is to find a kick ass pizza joint and deliver pizza on my bicycle.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    yahoo likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wingfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    4,401
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    189

    Default closing one door, opening another

    What's the deal?


    Mid-Life Crisis?


    Retirement?


    Someone at work pissed you off?


    Your 'Give a Shit' got broke?


    All of the above?


    None of the above?


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Premium Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,121
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Can't be a mid life crisis. Locators don't make enough to afford one. Good luck PL.
    UULC likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    What's the deal?


    Mid-Life Crisis?


    Retirement?


    Someone at work pissed you off?


    Your 'Give a Shit' got broke?


    All of the above?


    None of the above?


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    mostly all of the above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    I worked with a lot of good experienced locate people who know what they are doing. The S&N Locating is dominated by S&N
    Communications, an utility construction company. Its like having a plumber direct your vasectomy. The good experienced locate people are not in charge. I have confidence in the locate people but not in the company.

    I am using social security benefits for income. I have 12 months to find better employment, pay back to ss payments and opt out of retirement. If I don't find better I can stay retired.

    Work at S&N has shrunk due to losing some contracts. While these contracts went away the were new contracts starting up, two of which were out of state in Georgia and North Carolina and one in Charlottesville, Va. So in long term to stay with the firm requires moving. I make no sense picking up and moving with a company you have no confidence in.

    They still needed a lot of people for the new start ups so it was work out of state/area and live in hotels for the people where contracts had been lost. I
    have been living in hotels since last Thanksgiving and having no family was easier for me than most. Mostly a 6 day work week and long days. The six day week was really a 7 day week as they did not provide a room for the seventh day if you were not marking. So Saturday I finished after 8 hours and drove home usually getting home from 10 to 11 pm. Wakeup Sunday and drive back leaving in time to get to hotel about 3pm. That is what bugged me, they were paying up to 10 hours travel time on overtime and I could have just relaxed at the hotel and it would have cost them half the money. While technically a 6 day week the travel time made all weeks a 7 day week. For some workloads I stayed and marked all 7 days. So I have a major case of burnout.

  8. #8
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    I know how you feel. I love locating but I reached the point of burn-out and a desire to move on and do something different. I am still interested in opening my own pizza place but for now am working at an espresso machine repair shop. It is easier, it's inside, and the boss is pretty cool. My old boss was cool, too. I still think about getting out there and marking lines but being inside, out of the weather, (it reached 97 degrees today already) makes it less attractive.

    I look forward to hearing what you have found and what you are up to.
    ohlocator and yahoo like this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  9. #9
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I know how you feel. I love locating but I reached the point of burn-out and a desire to move on and do something different. I am still interested in opening my own pizza place but for now am working at an espresso machine repair shop. It is easier, it's inside, and the boss is pretty cool. My old boss was cool, too. I still think about getting out there and marking lines but being inside, out of the weather, (it reached 97 degrees today already) makes it less attractive.

    I look forward to hearing what you have found and what you are up to.
    Yesterday I sat in a chair under a shade tree all day long.

  10. #10
    Premium Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,121
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Don't sit around too long, PL. I know you deserve it but a good locator like you has an active mind that needs to be nourished with challenges. As important as the money is, it's not the most important thing. Trust me. It's not good on a mind or body to sit idle for too long. I spent too much time in between jobs and there are only so many episodes of The Price is Right you can watch before you start wanting more. Take your time finding what you might actually enjoy as an intelligent worker. Use your contacts in the field to find a position that values a strong mind over a strong back. Even part time is better than not having a reason to get up in the morning. I say all this from personal experience. I hate to see another motivated, quality individual drop out of the game. People like you are getting harder to find and are needed more than ever. You have more than paid your dues. It's time to think about you. I hope this leads you to better things. You've earned it.

    Again, good luck, my friend.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Today I gave me neighbor their chair back and bought one of my own.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Don't sit around too long, PL. I know you deserve it but a good locator like you has an active mind that needs to be nourished with challenges. As important as the money is, it's not the most important thing. Trust me. It's not good on a mind or body to sit idle for too long. I spent too much time in between jobs and there are only so many episodes of The Price is Right you can watch before you start wanting more. Take your time finding what you might actually enjoy as an intelligent worker. Use your contacts in the field to find a position that values a strong mind over a strong back. Even part time is better than not having a reason to get up in the morning. I say all this from personal experience. I hate to see another motivated, quality individual drop out of the game. People like you are getting harder to find and are needed more than ever. You have more than paid your dues. It's time to think about you. I hope this leads you to better things. You've earned it.

    Again, good luck, my friend.


    Thanks, good advice. First once I have shaken the burn out off is to set the alarm and be up by 6AM. Start growing some plants in the yard so up at sunrise and care for them.


    I haven't watched TV since I quit, don't want to get locked into that.

  13. #13
    Mke
    Mke is offline
    Senior Member Mke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Republic of Washington
    Posts
    1,536
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    34
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Good luck on the change PL. I know it's a little south of you, but I know someone who owns a small locate company out of NC. It's him by himself and has enough work to turn some down. I know it's locating but it is a change of scenery.

    mke
    yahoo likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Good luck on the change PL. I know it's a little south of you, but I know someone who owns a small locate company out of NC. It's him by himself and has enough work to turn some down. I know it's locating but it is a change of scenery.

    mke
    Maybe later, get my head straight first.

    I was working in Raleigh for awhile and liked the area . Economy in that area better than most and a lot going on.

    Last I was in Charlottesville Va and seems like beggars at every corner. Plus nearly everything there was on a hill so it was climb up and down all day long.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: closing one door, opening another

    Years ago before I started with S&N Locating I put my electric account on the bill payer program where they average your use and you pay a set amount each month with adjustment if need every January. My amount was $70 and each month I put $100 on it at a bill payer place that was in my work area. About 18 months ago I checked the account and had a huge credit on my account. I worked so many hours I was not there to use as much electric and my payment had gone down while I still had paid the $100
    a month. I had an online option an bills were not mailed to me.

    After working since last Thanksgiving out of state and living in hotels the billing amount dropped further. My electric payment is now $23 a month. This is example of why I am burned out and do not wish to do anything right now. I need to recover.

    My personal truck sat all this time and a lot of crap buried itself into the paint. Spent last two days using polishing compound to clean out the paint and topping it with a good layer of wax.
    daman1 and UULC like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •