Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: choice of tools?

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: choice of tools?

Aul i understand where you are coming from. I have found that the rd8000 speaker and audio level on the receiver is low compared to the rd4000

Old school Fuji 801 it freezes up fast in the winter but I have not seen anything scan/sweep as good as the 801 not even the newer PL 960
    Ditchwitch/Subsite for woring in the fence or anytime I need to hook up.

Years of Experience

my primary is a DitchWitch 950, my back ups are the Metrotech 810, Pipehorn, and a MALA Easy Locator GPR unit. I work for a survey firm so I can afford a lot of toys to locate with, I think it is a necessity to have options.

Years of Experience

I really like the Subsite 75 series, although I don't think it power sweeps the greatest. I used to borrow the RD 400 & 4000 occasionally from some techs I know locally when in a jam, but I picked up a used 400 myself recently and it's a great backup. And a big, big +1 on hating the Dynatel AUL! I used to hear that damned thing in my sleep when we used to use it, lol!

TMO
    Years of Experience

Dynatel 2250m , rd 8000, and a pipehorn 800 ride in my truck. All i ever wanted and more.

Years of Experience

forced to use the vivax..........I'm starting to like how accurate it locates but can not stand how it sweeps........
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I used the subsite 75 for 2 and a half years, and have recently been using a rd 8000, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I use it constantly, it is light, compact, and accurate (though it needs calibrated every so often, but that is with any piece of equipment).

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    forced to use the vivax..........I'm starting to like how accurate it locates but can not stand how it sweeps........
    Sweeping is a major problem with the vivax. If the gain is set too low, and you cannot tell what too low is, you will pass right over your utility and never know it. Plus you have to constantly watch the faceplate unlike the 810 where the sound let you look around, sweeping with the vivax requires taking you eyes off your surroundings making on the job injuries more likely.

So you set the gain too high and get hits all over the place. Back the gain down and re-sweep that area. This adds time to the locate and reduces productivity.

Years of Experience

there is no way I could have said this any better!!! thanks dude I appreciate that! that is my thinking exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Sweeping is a major problem with the vivax. If the gain is set too low, and you cannot tell what too low is, you will pass right over your utility and never know it. Plus you have to constantly watch the faceplate unlike the 810 where the sound let you look around, sweeping with the vivax requires taking you eyes off your surroundings making on the job injuries more likely.

So you set the gain too high and get hits all over the place. Back the gain down and re-sweep that area. This adds time to the locate and reduces productivity.
    Does the vivax auto-gain ? With the rd4000/etc, you set up near the line and hit either up or down.. it will auto-gain to an appropriate level for the signal currently received. I like this function, as I can go 'off-line' a bit to make the autogain settle higher etc.
    If the vivax is fully manual level setting.. then that just plain sucks.

I need to figure this new vloc out at some point.. we do have some metros that we're gonna get rid of (no one uses them since our main locator went off on compo) , and we need to choose if we're going to keep buying/fixing the rd's or move to vivax.
    I do like the 4000 and I trust it. The 8000 is a slick unit but it eats batteries like mad from what Ive heard.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    Does the vivax auto-gain ? With the rd4000/etc, you set up near the line and hit either up or down.. it will auto-gain to an appropriate level for the signal currently received. I like this function, as I can go 'off-line' a bit to make the autogain settle higher etc.
    If the vivax is fully manual level setting.. then that just plain sucks.

I need to figure this new vloc out at some point.. we do have some metros that we're gonna get rid of (no one uses them since our main locator went off on compo) , and we need to choose if we're going to keep buying/fixing the rd's or move to vivax.
    I do like the 4000 and I trust it. The 8000 is a slick unit but it eats batteries like mad from what Ive heard.
    The vivax does auto gain. But this is good only if you are over the line, otherwise hitting the + button only makes it go to full gain if you are far off the line. Then you have to step it down as the thing reads as if getting an erratic signal. So auto gain is there but no use for sweeping.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    I like the RD4000 and I trust it. The RD8000 is a slick unit but it eats batteries like mad from what I've heard.
    The RD8000 receiver does not eat up batteries. The RD8000 transmitter will eat up batteries quickly using only 100% power. Using only 100% power on my transmitter will kill 8 fresh D-cells in 80 minutes.

The RD8000 transmitter has 5 power settings - 0% power, 10% power, 20% power, 50% power and 100% power.

When I first got my RD8000, every time I hooked up I was in the 100% mode and I changed batteries constantly. I then started experimenting by setting the transmitter in the lower power levels. I was amazed how well the RD8000 transmitter/receiver combination worked on the 10% power level; even while inducing in the coupling mode.

I have found the batteries will last much, much longer in the 10% and 20% power levels and still gets the job done well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can confirm Wing's findings on the 8000. Just keep it out of High and the batteries last pretty long. I have found that if the transmitter starts acting up - changing frequencies on it's own , etc- ignore what the battery meter shows just change out the batteries. BTW Wing, what are you doing up so early? Guilty conscience? HeHe
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Some say: You need whatever you already have AND a Pipehorn!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDodd View Post
    Some say: You need whatever you already have AND a Pipehorn!
    A friend of mine was working for UQ here in DFW running problem Atmos gas locates. JT bought him a Pipehorn so they wouldn't have to vac as many tickets. Well, JT got fired and then Atmos found out several mains got hit because the Pipehorn wasn't very accurate. Atmos then insisted someone with UQ needed to be fired for opting to use the Pipehorn instead of vaccing. Do you want to guess who got fired? You probably guessed - my friend who was following his Supervisor's and District Manager's instructions.
    And people wonder why I never went to work for Utiliquest.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast