Thread: A Chat Room For TCV

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default A Chat Room For TCV

Jump In and give it a try, I'll leave it up late tonight to see how it goes.

http://chat-beta.aim.com/chats/speci.../thecablevine-

Sorry, I keep changing it but I'll get it straight, just click the link.
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; February 21st, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Chat Room For TCV

It will be much easier to get this thing moving if you would PM me your AIM screenname, then I can invite you straight to the room once you sign on.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Just a follow up, the room did work but only got traffic from RD. I don't have a trememdous amount of time to sit around and watch a chat room but will open it up and leave it open as long as I can. However, anybody can start a room AIM. Any thoughts on coordinating letting people know when a room is open? And how to find it?

The AIM chat program is a beta version and is VERY buggy, it'll take patience, and you have to hit the reload key frequently to keep it working. It's not a great option right now but Yahoo no longer allows creating your own rooms and ICQ just isn't user friendly. If this AIM program doesn't work out, I'll look at Paltalk next and see what they are all about. Any input by the other members would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you have an AOL or AIM screenname, PM it to me and I'll add you to my buddy list. Or, you can insert it directly into your Cablevine profile. If this chat room doesn't generate any real interest, I'll bag it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Just a follow up, the room did work but only got traffic from RD. I don't have a trememdous amount of time to sit around and watch a chat room but will open it up and leave it open as long as I can. However, anybody can start a room AIM. Any thoughts on coordinating letting people know when a room is open? And how to find it?

The AIM chat program is a beta version and is VERY buggy, it'll take patience, and you have to hit the reload key frequently to keep it working. It's not a great option right now but Yahoo no longer allows creating your own rooms and ICQ just isn't user friendly. If this AIM program doesn't work out, I'll look at Paltalk next and see what they are all about. Any input by the other members would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you have an AOL or AIM screenname, PM it to me and I'll add you to my buddy list. Or, you can insert it directly into your Cablevine profile. If this chat room doesn't generate any real interest, I'll bag it.
    Do you have any experience with IRC (Internet Relay Chat)? It's been around for YEARS and is pretty much stable. The upside is that once you register a channel, you don't HAVE to hang around to maintain it's integrity. As long as the channel owner logs in periodically (15 days for most servers, and there are ALOT of these) it remains their property. You can download mIRC (the most common platform) for free, it's fairly easy to use, and doesn't take up much space.

The only thing that would have to be decided is, which server (I prefer Dalnet), channel name, who would be the owner, assignment of operator status, etc.

It's something that can be left open for locators to float in and out of for general chat and you can also post scheduled meetings for actual discussion of issues. You can also upload a "bot" to the channel that auto-maintains things in the absense of any moderators. Just a suggestion.

Lemme know what you think?
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Sounds to me that you are the right man for the job......yes, I have used mIRC, wasn't too bad to use, I forgot about IRC.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Sounds to me that you are the right man for the job......yes, I have used mIRC, wasn't too bad to use, I forgot about IRC.
    LOL...I forgot the primary rule...exibit an unknown talent to a manager and he's damn sure gonna "delegate"...

...I'll be glad to move to register a channel, etc. with the head man's ok.

Steve? I don't feel comfortable registering anything like this in the forum's name without your ok...? Your feelings on the idea?
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

LOL, I didn't make my way to Director cause of my looks......You catch on quick too I see RD.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Sounds cool to me if it will help the community.