Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Certification

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Certification

Hey Prof,

I know this link is for surveying, but check it out, and tell me what you think about a system similar to this for Locating.

http://www.nspsmo.org/

All the surveyors I work with are a member. Click on the CST links as well, it shows a break down for the levels of experience.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Hey Prof,

I know this link is for surveying, but check it out, and tell me what you think about a system similar to this for Locating.

http://www.nspsmo.org/

All the surveyors I work with are a member. Click on the CST links as well, it shows a break down for the levels of experience.

mke
    Looks like a very well designed website. It is also industry wide friendly and gives no appearance to being slanted towards management or surveying employees / professionals.

The Board members list shows the Board members names, the companies they work for but no indication of if they are owners, managers or surveyors giving a open door feeling. Very well cone.

The NULCA would do well to study this site if attracting locators is their interest.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

what did you think about the fact that they are a orginization designed to license and regulate their industry..... with out governmental intervention?

mke

Years of Experience

what did you think about the fact that they are a orginization designed to license and regulate their industry..... with out governmental intervention?

mke
    A good idea. There are various points made in this thread of the barriers faced in doing this within the locating industry. Anything is possible but their is possible and next to impossible. I see it as next to impossible for this to happen from the locator level.

If the locators launched an effort to form such a professional organization it would be seen as the first step to forming a national union. That would not be popular with the employers.

The big corporations could have instigated certification long ago and have not showing a strong aversion to the idea.

The big corporations dominate industry organizations like NULCA (at least that is the appearance from their website) and certification has not been pushed from there.

I think the industry leaders, at least in the contract locating firms, wants nobody telling them what to do, either government or locators.

What you recommend is logically possible but in our industry environment highly unlikely.

Years of Experience
    lifetime

mke
    you find this true with the awwa and the abpa to name a couple. most of the agencies are more concerned with public safety and operator education. and they were started by people just like us.
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post

I am in favor of some form of certification or licensing but I need to hear from all sides and weigh the pros and cons. For this, we need participation from the very folks such rules would affect, the locators.

what is it that you need? how can i help?

spock
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    rd,
    what would it take to bring the rest of the locators up to standards, and where did you get your education?

I'm interested, and always looking for info
    Sorry for the time it took to respond to this. Been hit and miss lately, and missed this question.

It isn't really a matter of "bringing locators up to standards". It's a matter of insuring that only technicians with the drive and competency to perform the job are allowed to DO the job.

The only way to insure companies only hire and maintain a skilled work-force, is through a mandated certification/licensing process for the trade. (Whether it be industry, state or federally enforced). This will A.) remove those individuals who really shouldn't be doing the job in the first place from the field, thus improving public safety, as well as the image of locators in general. and B.) drive the demand for competent locators up, providing leverage to increase standard wages to a level the profession deserves.

My personal education in the field is a hodge-podge of company-based training, mentoring with some extremely knowledgeable professionals in this and the construction fields, a strong background in technical studies, as well as on-going and continuous personal study every day (I'm a bit obsessive about learning everything and anything I can involving subjects I'm interested in). This is a trade that requires far more information and knowledge than most are willing to recognise.

To address earlier concerns about cost of training, I'd like to see a day when the profession is taught and certified in trade schools and universities, much like the wind-generator technician and surveyor professions...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post

To address earlier concerns about cost of training, I'd like to see a day when the profession is taught and certified in trade schools and universities, much like the wind-generator technician and surveyor professions...
    I agree!
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

I disapprove of too much government intervention also. But sadly I believe that the industry may never be ready to come together to make this happen. I believe this will happen and it will be government certification ,either on a state level or federal.

Virginia's State Corporation Commission has been trying to bring a group of stakeholders of local Contract Locators, NULCA, and a Community Collage together to form a class for the propose of certifying professional locators. Unfortunately, this school's development has been slowed this down, perhaps money, it may be more to the story. Common sense tells you that most contract locate companies are not happy about that. They have their own training and testing. But when the state sits you down in a room, you best believe they what a change. They are probably sick of hearing about locator's open book testing (not saying all are like that), but it only takes one.

I think it would be a good thing for the worth of a locator. And that play's a big role in how slow things are moving too.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by HWYRIPR View Post
    I disapprove of too much government intervention also. But sadly I believe that the industry may never be ready to come together to make this happen. I believe this will happen and it will be government certification ,either on a state level or federal.

Virginia's State Corporation Commission has been trying to bring a group of stakeholders of local Contract Locators, NULCA, and a Community Collage together to form a class for the propose of certifying professional locators. Unfortunately, this school's development has been slowed this down, perhaps money, it may be more to the story. Common sense tells you that most contract locate companies are not happy about that. They have their own training and testing. But when the state sits you down in a room, you best believe they what a change. They are probably sick of hearing about locator's open book testing (not saying all are like that), but it only takes one.

I think it would be a good thing for the worth of a locator. And that play's a big role in how slow things are moving too.
    We can all agree that such a certification standard and requirement would be best to come from within the industry. As has been made abundantly clear, also in your post, is that this is just not going to happen, too many locate firms feel this is contrary to their interests. So if it is going to come it will by circumstance have to come from government.

There appears to be those here that would prefer no certification requirements at all if government was the only way this was going to happen. I think these people fail to consider what comes later. Once these requirements are set they are not written in stone, they can be modified. Groups like an association of professional locators can put before legislature suggestions and proposed amendments. Government required certification would open the door that is securely closed at this time and in the foreseeable future.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234