Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-call pay

Years of Experience

Default On-call pay

After a 16 hour day yesterday and not seeing my kids the whole day I wondered what others get paid for oncall. We are on call for one full week at a time and get an on-call pay of $50.00 for the week. We obviously also get paid for all the work we do on-call.

I don't think the on-call pay has changed since I've started. Just seems like it should be worth more than $50.00 to put your life on hold for a full week,be sleep deprived for a full week, and pretty much not see much of the family for the entire week.

Don't get me wrong I love my job but everytime I'm on-call I wonder why the amount we get has never changed. I vote for $100.00 for being on-call.

Default Re: On-call pay

A 16 hour day is really pushing it, and is probably in violation of DOT regs. But, as we all know, this company and many others have gotten away with this for years because most of us don't know the law.

That said, I think ALL call outs should be prorated. Time and a half minimum, and it should really be double time. You are on a leash for the entire time you are responsible for calls, yet you may not get paid a dime if you don't get a call. We have lost MANY good employees for this reason alone, and it is the hardest company policy to justify to a noob. I've never had anyone say " That sounds reasonable", or anything like it. It's usually " Woah dude, that sucks, how do they get away with that!" Or usually something MUCH harsher comes out of their mouth.

As of August, no one here is getting paid for anything other than weekend work. We used to get paid an extra $50 for covering COM ED (power) call outs, but they killed that as part of cost cutting ( along with much of the usual overtime this year...)

We do one day at a time here ( a week would KILL YOU, trust me..), and if you work a weekend day you can expect $50 for your trouble. Not enough IMHO, but better than nada.

No drinking, no travelling too far out of the area, and the disruption of sleep costs you a hell of a lot more than you may realize. And $50 for a week of this? No thank you sir! You guys are getting the royal shaft.

I like my job too, but in a business littered with company hose-jobs, this one is by far the worst...

For what it's worth the higher ups are checking into revamping the on - call mess, at least according to our rumour mill. So there may be hope yet. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by shovelhead; September 4th, 2008 at 09:23 AM.

$50 for being tethered to a pager 24/7 was never enough for me either. During the winter months we were also expected to cover other areas when locators were finished for the day.
    A 16 hour day is really pushing it, and is probably in violation of DOT regs.
    Never thought of the DOT angle.

Years of Experience

Goldenboy - I agree with you. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all that I receive from this company. But, is $100 really enough of an incentive? It's been a $50.00 weekend incentive for the 11 years I've been here. It was $50.00 long before I started.

Years of Experience
    retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blunderbuss View Post
    During the winter months we were also expected to cover other areas when locators were finished for the day.
    Oh yeah, I loved that part too. Then you start wondering what kind of guys the others in your sup group are, going and sticking you with their incompletes and leaving you out in the field fending for yourself. I always felt like everyone should stay out till at least 15:30 and let you get your own area cleaned up before having to worry about callouts everywhere else.

By lovED I mean to say that since I've moved out of Cook county to Will county here in IL, we do NOT do on-call one day at a time, it's one full week. Anyone can understand this idea, not just other Illinois people: In areas where the infrastructure is older, you will tend to have more water main breaks in winter than in areas where it's (relatively) newer. Say, water mains installed pre- 1960 vs. later would be more prone to popping when the cold snap hits. That's also partly because most suburbs surrounding Chicago get their water from Lake Michigan. When its temperature changes, there's a trickle-down effect in the water services which are connected. So, the point is the suburbs farther out from Chicago city proper are (mostly) newer and you get less water main breaks out here. Unless whoever bidded to install the mains used a bad batch at the time... Then the age wouldn't matter at all.

My opinion: for those who do a week at a time, oncall should be a straight fee for the week then a per-ticket amount in addition - $ for the trouble and $ for the effort. For daily oncall coverage areas, it should be a straight fee per ticket, then a 1-hr minimum pay per callout on top which adds to your weekly bottom line.
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

we do a full week and don't get spit extra only our time

Years of Experience

Anyone that gets paid something other then their time and a half is doing better then most. My former company had everyone on-call for a week at a time and the guys in the rural areas had to cover as many as 7-9 counties. Some of the areas were right on the edge of the 2 hours to respond. Not too mention in the winter when everyone gets laid-off except for the few lucky ones who now have to do on-call for a month of more straight. All of this responsibility with NO additional pay. Many guys were tied to their phones for weeks at a time and put their lives on hold just waiting for the call-outs. It's a extremely hot topic with all companies and none of them will make changes because no one knows how to make it fair. God forbid they listen to the people that are having to be on-call and their concerns.

we have one week on 4 weeks off call out and get paid $0 extra its part of our jobs.
    SOME DAYS U R THE BUG OTHER DAYS U R THE WINDSHIELD!!

Years of Experience
    na

What you all need is some poor scoundrels that need the $ so desperately they stay permanently volunteered...

I told the guy I know I would take anything in my county if it pops up since its a multi county call out(more than one locator should really be responsible for such a large area anyway) and I m one of 2 other guys in this county... Its more like team work where the callout guy can call some of the other people to see if they will take a call out if its a good distance away near some other locators areas...Most of us realize its a pain in the ass so we cover for the assigned callout guy...

But sometimes I dont wake up if I m in the middle of a good wet dream at 2am...
    Last edited by USIC1; September 4th, 2008 at 09:38 PM.

Years of Experience

we get time and a half from the time we leave our house to the time we get back in our house ........every time we go out.....nothing more
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    we get time and a half from the time we leave our house to the time we get back in our house ........every time we go out.....nothing more

So what your saying is if it takes 1hr it really takes 2hrs...

If it takes 2hrs it took 4 hrs...

Are we on the same page???

Years of Experience
    30+

Sounds right to me.

Years of Experience

usic1 ................we are sooooooooooooooooooooo on the same page!!!!!!!!!! you must be republican too?????? hahahhahahahhahahhah
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I hate the not being able to drink thing when on-call...

Our standard is 2hr reg pay for every 8hr shift covered .. but we have oddball shifts when on-call... works out to about $750 if i recall for the week. Plus, 2hr min call-out (even a clear by laptop) at 2x. Its good money when its busy out, but ya know how the mind starts to swim after a while (and thats what the booze helps, but ya darn not be out driving the co truck and get an DUI !@)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast