Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daman1

Thread: 'Calibration'..

Years of Experience

Default 'Calibration'..

Hello, I'm think of getting a used Rd7000 or Vivax Vloc Pro off the ebay.
    My concern is with regard to calibrations of the units. How likely is the unit to run out of calibration from normal use and need to be professionally calibrated?
    Is there a way for end-user to at least verify that units (both RD & Vivax) are out of calibration?

I'm asking this since there is no service center that offers calibration services nearby and sending them out for calibration would probably take time & money.

Best Regards
    ard

Years of Experience

Default Re: 'Calibration'..

You can, just go to the manufacturers web site and they should have the procedure on there website.
    I must be F#%@ing Daffy!!!

Years of Experience
    30+

A simple was to check calibration is to mark a know location of a facility and then dig it up and check the accurateness of horizontal and vertical depth.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    A simple was to check calibration is to mark a know location of a facility and then dig it up and check the accurateness of horizontal and vertical depth.
    That always worked for me. Better yet, if your as lazy as I, just wait until you catch a contractor on one of your tickets. Pull over, get to know them, and wait while they expose the line.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

Hey Newbie, great question.
    The problem is rarely one of calibration, as there isn't anything to calibrate on the RD's and Vivax-Metrotech locators. As all the antennas are fixed to a central board, nothing should be moving in there (but if you want to wiggle it and see if anything rattles, that's not a terrible idea). It's the older gear (especially Metrotech 810's and 850's, Ridgid and some of the really old stuff) that needs calibration because there are moving parts: antennas that extend or fold-out. Those do require actual calibration.

The problem you might run into in buying it online from an out of state/out of province sale is that the rep in your area may not want to touch it... not his/her problem. They didn't sell it, so why would they service it? Several of the eBay/Kijiji sales that have come into this area are a disaster - somebody bought somebody else's garbage.

How about contacting your local rep and ask if they have any used/demo gear? That way they'll be more inclined to care and try to help you out.