Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a house

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default buying a house

I've been trying to buy a house. what a pain in the butt this has turned out to be. The sellers are less than cooperative. The problem is that I WANT this house and the sellers know it. They aren't budging on anything.

The appraiser said that the led based paint on the fascia needs to be removed and repainted. The agreement was that the sellers would pay up to $500 dollars to repair what the appraiser found wrong. They are now reneging on that agreement. They said that since we didn't sign on the agreed day (the 26th) which was not our fault, the appraiser was late in doing the appraisal, that they are now going to pay a few more days worth of interest on their loan and shouldn't have to pay for the repairs. That is what you call being a tightwad.

Default Re: buying a house

Know what you're going through. My wife and I were close to buying a house closer to where I used to work. We had made an offer and thought we were locked in. Well, the homeowner had left out some paperwork which disclosed that a fuel tank had been removed from underneath the driveway at some point in the past. My wife and I were concerned about possible soil contamination which we could have been held liable for had we bought the place and found out afterwards. Well, we requested a soil-testing to find out if there was any contaminated soil. Found out several days after our request that the homeowner had accepted an offer from another buyer. Needless to say, my wife and I were pissed. It's a subject that I dare not even bring up with milady.

Years of Experience

Hopefully it all works out for you. Home buying can make a sober man drink and a drinking man drink waaaayyyyyyyyy to much. Contingencies always seem to be the deal breaker.

When I bought my first house I was pretty young and didn't even have an inspection but that only led to alot more work for me in the end. Needless to say my first house didn't have any contingencies because I didn't know any of the things I should of had them fix.

I still live by the Readers Digest Do it Yourself Manual. My dad had one when I was growing up and my mom bought me the book when I bought my first house. Every house warming gift I've boughten to this day was this book. It shows how to fix just about everything. I'm to cheap to pay someone to fix stuff.

Years of Experience
    30+

Steve,

Want to move to Riverview Florida? I will sell you my house for the payoff. $169,970. You can view it on Zillow.com

http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/8809...,-Fl-33578_rb/

Years of Experience

Walk away man! I hear you about wanting this one, but it's a buyers market. IMHO, lead paint is a hazard and should be fixed by the seller! If they want to play hardass, you do the same

Steve, I would have to agree with phoenix... it IS a buyers market... don't let the emotion of this house get the best of you. At the very least, insist on this as that is a very big issue that NEEDS to be done. Unless they are already selling short... I wouldn't budge on the original agreement. Think long term here, my friend.

Steve I agree with everyone else. Just tell the seller you are withdrawing you offer and walk away. Then they will have to pay many more days of interest. Then if they get another offer they will have to disclose the lead paint that your inspector found and have to pay to fix it anyway! Basically shove the knife in their back and turn it a couple of times!!! opcornsmile:opcornsmile:opcornsmile:
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

??

Okay, I bought a house built in 1898. Odds are pretty good there is some lead paint somewhere in this house. Heck, one of the outlets was still wired with CLOTH electric lines, so I just assume that the two windows that still have ancient frames/sills were once painted with lead-based paint. Since I don't plan on sucking on any window sills, I think I'll be safe from that threat.

Exactly what threat is the lead based paint on the fascia?

About 2 months after I bought this house, I did have the Dept. of Natural Resources show up here threatening me about a well on the property that was improperly sealed. Turns out the previous owner filled it with rocks and called it a day. It was never disclosed to me that the well was even on the premises. The alfalfa crop was planted right over it... At one time, this was a working farm, so I figure there is LOTS of stuff improperly disposed of on this property. This jerk was telling me I would get stuck with the $10,000 bill, etc. We had a short go-'round that resulted in my good friend (a defense lawyer by trade) giving them a taste of their own medicine ;-) Needless to say, the DNR guy about wore my butt cheek out from kissing it so much, and has been ever so pleasant with me since LOL ...Anyways, you cannot be held accountable for an act that happened on your property before you purchased it and was not disclosed to you in writing...so threats about a removed oil tank are just that....threats. ;-)

My dad was an HVAC business owner for years. A lot of the work he did involved working in basements with pipes insulated with asbestos. Again, not a problem if you don't mess with it. Well, one time Dad was hired to inspect a furnace, and the hired home inspector declares "Oh my god! This is asbestos! It MUST come down" and, as my dad and brother are making flying tackles at the idiot, he pulls down a piece of the pipe insulation. That idiot's one action required a Haz-Mat team to now come in...and the potential buyers were stuck with the bill. Had the idiot inspector left things alone, there would have been no problem...for the issue with asbestos is not when it is intact, but rather when it is disturbed and the particles become airborne and settles into the ol' lungs.

AlphaBEYOTCH

Years of Experience
    na

You must have given your soul to a woman or somthin'???"WE" attempting to buy a house...

I owned a 1948 house right before they came out with the lead base law...

"WE" sold it and only had to make sure the paint was not peeling or had to paint over...

I will never buy a money pit I mean old house again...

We had insulators where they use to have bare wires for electric...And also the cloth covering that disintegrates if you do any electrical upgrading...

Heres another humorous story-

I did Hvac breifly and the furnace in the house was rusting and old well there was one out in the yard at my work so I got it in the back of the truck and took it home...It was a big oil furnace and took 3 of us to get er downstairs and I duct boarded and wired it in...I dont know what BTU this thing was but the house was only about 1000 sq ft...When this sucker turned on for the first time the velocity was so high it blew my duct work apart...So I had to reinforce it with back up wood framing around that duct board...The furnace would only run for about five minutes and the house was like an oven...My dog would lay by the vent for the initial burst but even he would succomb and stagger away roasting...Now why did my wife leave me again???Oh I dont know...

I had termites to...Walked in to pee one day felt this crunch in the bathroom floor by the toilet...pulled up linoleum and it was grand central station of termites going through the hard wood floors all the way into another room...

We amost could nt resell because of damage to the sills...

I did nothing but bust my ass on that place for 4 yrs...It was nt worth it...
    Ol Norm can buffalo some other sucker next time...
    I did home construction before being a locator and was nt a Harry Homeowner type...I could do it all efficiently but discovered house maintenance and yard work are nt my american dream...Guess thats why all the old timers are out RVing across America...

I want a toy carrier and make the toyspace into a bedroom/living room and just leapfrog local parks and Wallyworld parking lots...Avoid the tax man - never worry about bad neighbors - share storys with other transients - not be tied down if new opportuntiy/interest arises...

Oh thats right I m spose to be a truck driver nevermind...

Good Luck on the place-
    Last edited by USIC1; September 27th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.

Years of Experience

time is on your side...use it wisely......if it doesn't feel right don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Everything is good except the paint is peeling. The paint is not the problem cause the house is mostly brick. They just need to fix the peeling part. It is a small fix to be honest. As far as walking away! I spent too much time already looking for a house and buying this house has been a month long process as is. If I pulled out now, I'd be looking at starting all over again... AND this house for the money is the best I've seen. If the matter amounted to thousands of dollars... yeah, I'd pull out faster than the french army but it is a small fix so I guess I'll look at this as a learning experience.

Will let you know how it all turns out.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Here is the house I'm buying:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dahouse.jpg  

Hey Steve.. that is a very nice looking house! Best wishes for you!

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Hopefully it all works out for you. Home buying can make a sober man drink and a drinking man drink waaaayyyyyyyyy to much. Contingencies always seem to be the deal breaker.

When I bought my first house I was pretty young and didn't even have an inspection but that only led to alot more work for me in the end. Needless to say my first house didn't have any contingencies because I didn't know any of the things I should of had them fix.

I still live by the Readers Digest Do it Yourself Manual. My dad had one when I was growing up and my mom bought me the book when I bought my first house. Every house warming gift I've boughten to this day was this book. It shows how to fix just about everything. I'm to cheap to pay someone to fix stuff.
    Golden:

Have the same book. Do lots of stuff around our home and at the cottage. When time permits, even build some 2x4 furniture for my deck at home and the patio at the lake.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

home prices are in a free fall, i expect them to bottom june/july 2009. prices could drop another 30% between now and then. after that homes wont be a speculative investment, they will be a nice place to live and build equity, but not until then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast