Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest thing lost on the job.

Years of Experience

Default Biggest thing lost on the job.

Just wondering, whats the biggest thing you ever lost while marking? Had anything stolen? Get it back?
    Thanx!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Biggest thing lost on the job.

The most expensive thing I've lost is my Leatherman. I've actually lost 2 or 3 now. I've lost lots of ped wrenches and a few ground rods but I normally find them again once I remember where I last used them or a few weeks later when I happen to be back to the same job and find them.

Years of Experience

Lost not much ground rods stabber clips etc stolen laptop that was a 1000 dollar mistake on my part don't leave the truck unlocked anymore!

Years of Experience
    30+

I did not loose it but mt RD4000 Tx was stolen while connected to a ped. I lost the signal and did a sweep to try and find it. So I went back to the Tx and low and behold it was gone. I called the sheriff and started to check the homes to see if anyone saw anything. Never did get it back. The SO does have the serial number though.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

A leatherman... a few ped wrenches. Nothing stolen, though.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

geez, I feel like crap now, Had a rd7000 receiver stolen on a locate, and had a rd4000 tx lost when I forgot it hooked to a house, think a contractor snagged that tho.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

My Leatherman was the only thing that never came back. Vault wrenches, ped wrenches, manhole hooks, Leeds, but the only thing that was stolen was a case of paint...... go figure.

Mke

I have left my box (rd4000) hooked to a service............noticed it 30 minute later, went back to the job site and it was still there. And lost a company PDA (some verizon p.o.s. thing when smart phones were just coming onto the market) down a drainage manhole..............never got that back.

I was a quick learner though...................never lost anything after those two incidents.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I left an rd4000 transmitter hooked up to a gas service next to a bar. The owner came out for a smoke and heard a beeping sound and saw red lights in the dark next to his gas and called the police. Their hasmat team came out and pulled it off. I remembered it about 15 minutes from home and had turned around when my supervisor called me and asked if I forgot something. Luckily one of the cop's wife worked for a local gas company and he called her and asked her what it was. i had to go to the cop shop to get it. Left my rd4000 receiver leaning up against a boulder while i flagged and took pictures. Didn't realize until the next morning when i got to my first locate. Went back and couldn't find it, but the guy across the street saw the kids on the block playing with it and took it from them. Returned it to me when he saw my walking around looking for it.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

The biggest thing lost on the job....lets see.....My sens of self respect and self esteem, management took it away from me, and I have yet to get it back.

I did have an RD4000 transmitter and receiver stolen out of the back of my truck one morning, and I got it back 2 days later. I have left my ground rods in numerous places and returned later in the day and up to a day or two later and it was still there.

I once left my RD4000 T10 box hooked up to a tv ped in a new subdivision one friday afternoon, by accident of course, it rained and stormed all damn weekend, I went back monday morning for my first job (in the same subdiv) and it was still there running at 25% power and beeping its butt off....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience

wow..............that is same thing that I lost......ha dude that was so funny!!!! thanks for thatand BTW thanks H for giving it back to me b4 I left....
    Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    The biggest thing lost on the job....lets see.....My sens of self respect and self esteem, management took it away from me, and I have yet to get it back.

I did have an RD4000 transmitter and receiver stolen out of the back of my truck one morning, and I got it back 2 days later. I have left my ground rods in numerous places and returned later in the day and up to a day or two later and it was still there.

I once left my RD4000 T10 box hooked up to a tv ped in a new subdivision one friday afternoon, by accident of course, it rained and stormed all damn weekend, I went back monday morning for my first job (in the same subdiv) and it was still there running at 25% power and beeping its butt off....
    Last edited by yahoo; March 1st, 2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: left something out
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I was getting ready for work one day about 15 years ago and saw a report on the local news show about cars parked on the street several blocks from my house being painted up with bright orange paint overnight. Didn't think much about it until I went out to the truck and found the side window of the bed cover busted out and a box of paint missing. Called my sup. and the cops. Never did hear if they caught the little $h*t$, but nobody ever raked me for it. I think most companies now have switched to flat bed covers or cars.

Also, one day in a very hot summer some A-hole stole my water cooler off the truck many years ago.
    "You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Nothing but small stuff here. Aside from a cone, two manhole hooks, a few phone ped wrenches, CATV ped wrenches, NID tool, screwdrivers, pocket knife, wire strippers, and my dignity. I did manage to mangle a camera one time though.

very funny dude

seems that most of us have left a transmitter someplace or other, ive left a rd 400 transmitter in a street once, lucky to get it back only problem was i left it approximately 200 miles away on the last job and just recently i left a brand new rd 8000 transmitter on the bank of a river at low tide 2hour drive home then remembered it and had to drive 2 hours back to get it just before the river claimed it, it was pitch black and the river bank was soft silt another hour and i would have never got it back

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast