Thread: biggest damage

Default biggest damage

What is the biggest damage that you have had or you have known of.

Mine was in my first 90 days of locating i had a 600 pair and 900 pair,

Default Re: biggest damage

Paper cables in terra cotta duck run. $300,000

Years of Experience

Mine was in the first 90 days of locating too. Mine was a phone drop.

The largest I have heard about was an MCI damage in Atlanta over 10 years ago reported to have run over $11,000,000.00.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

I recently had a fiber damage going to a medical building, but because the customer screened the ticket and did not put themselves on it because it said they were only doing "paving and grading", it was not my fault. If they don't want to pay us for locating their plants and don't put themselves on the ticket, then.........oh well.

As for biggest damages that are not mine that I know of, too numerous to mention. I could write a book and bore everyone here.

6 strand fiber into my 3rd year locating at my 2nd company i worked for. not bad for my 1st at fault mis-mark. damn i am a good locator. my next locating job, i think i do well deserve at least 20/hour considering my damage ratio rate and my high productivity

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Please tell me that this line was marked correctly and a ticket was called in for it.

3 people died.
    Latest is 3 dead, 6 at the hospital and 2 unaccounted for. A crew in the area was drilling pier holes for electric transmission towers just outside a sub-station. Still not sure who hit the line. This was located in a field off Hwy 67 between Cleburne and Glen Rose
    Photos of the 36 inch gas main that was damaged
    while drilling holes to set electric poles near Darrouzett, Texas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The remains of the new electric pole to be set
    lays across the end of the open trench.

Hey monkey - From one USICer to another, Welcome to The Cable Vine!

I've had my cuts over my past 14+ years of locating (mostly small stuff), but thankfully, I had no part of the 36" transmission gas line cut in Texas. This one will take years to sort out for compensation. Who can put a dollar figure on stupidity/laziness, the value of 3 to 5 lost lives, 6 severe injuries and property damage of this magnitude?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I always get the hee bee jeebies while talking about damages.

Not to tempt fate but.....

The biggest At Fault one i've had has been..... a 200pr that dipped around the end of a culvert and was laying in about 10" of water.

I was pingged for that one because I didn't wade through the puddle.

The two pricey ones i've seen was a 14.5kva single phase that a boring crew clipped when they had to auger their anchors deeper to secure their bore. That line fed a sizeable saw mill. it shut down production for 2 days. So they get dinged for the parts and labor but also for the lost revenue for the mill. The estimated time + the fine the Mill slapped them with was around the 1.5 mil mark.

I think they settled for a lower number though.

The other pricey one was a clipped HP gas line valve near the enterence of an international airport. They had to close down traffic to the airport so people missed their flights and when all was said and done....... it was in the cupple of millions as well. Fortunately it was just the natural gas line and not the AV gas line.... that would of been a bit messier.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Attachment 790

This is from Dec. 2006. It was a 24" HP gas main. I had met this guy in the field:

Updated UNION (NEWS 3) – A man was killed Tuesday during an explosion along a natural gas pipeline in southern Cass County Michigan near the Indiana border.

Danny Young, 27, an apprentice lineman with Midwest Energy Cooperative, died after a trencher he was operating hit a high-pressure natural gas line in Union.

Young was working as part of a three-man crew. Others were not injured.

The explosion happened shortly before 10 a.m. near US-12 and Tharp Lake Road in Porter Township between Union and Edwardsburg.

As a safety precaution, police and fire officials evacuated residences and businesses within a half-mile radius of the explosion.

I never heard who was ultimately held responsible for this. According to newspapers it appears that the co-op did file a locate request with the state one-call system and that they in turn notified the pipeline owner. It does not appear that the pipeline was located and marked. The pipeline that was struck was pressurized at 850 psi. Fortunately the gas never ignited. The explosion created a crater over 25 feet deep and 100 feet long. The blast also uncovered a second unmarked 22" gas pipeline that was buried about 15 feet away.

I actually heard that explosion from miles away although I had no idea at the time what it was. It was the area just across the state line from where I worked and is what comes to mind now every time I get tempted to pull a short-cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gas1.jpg  

Biggest ones that I have seen in person, major AT&T duct run coming out of a C/O. Multiple ducts, pulp cables, 600prs, 900prs, 1200prs, multiple fibers, whole thing ripped up. Other than that, a few 6" gas mains, 6"water mains, a bunch of smaller fibers and 600prs but nothing else too crazy.

Luckily none of those were my locates. My biggest damage was a 50pr or something. I'm a drop damage kinda guy.

The biggest I have had was a unlocatable 4 inch gas main. Still was charged with it. Still damage free to this day on all telephone and power, knock on wood. I'm a savant when it comes to locating telephone. I go out of state and guys call me SEAL team 6 when I hit that telephone. But gas is a bear alot of times, bad tracer wire and what not.

Years of Experience
    too many

600 pair att copper 3 weeks out of class

Quote Originally Posted by [HAF]Foxtrot View Post
    The biggest I have had was a unlocatable 4 inch gas main. Still was charged with it. Still damage free to this day on all telephone and power, knock on wood. I'm a savant when it comes to locating telephone. I go out of state and guys call me SEAL team 6 when I hit that telephone. But gas is a bear alot of times, bad tracer wire and what not.
    lol

the biggest damage in my local area was on a fiber install project a friend of mine was working on. he fell behind and the dm would not allow project work on saturday (even though he told them the situation), the crew came out on monday and plowed paralleling our fiber and hit it in two spots, it was a toll and shut off alot of stuff. i think they told us it was $20K but you never really know what they pay.

my biggest damage was a conduit pack that a local electric co augured into. however, the run wasn't on prints and no visual indicators for a few blocks got me off the hook, even though sm&p paid.
    Last edited by Jcbro86; February 18th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

I saw a 12 inch gas line that was hit by a cable crew who was boring a drop under the road to a peg. They seem to not speak english until the cable company arrived and then they all could speak english. The line was clearly marked. They said they thought they had hit a rock and backed up the walk behind bore and hit it three times. The gas company worked on the line from 3pm till 8am the next day doing repairs. It was 12 inch steel. No fire or injuries. One note, the asphalt raised up 6 inches and the gas line was not even under the road. The city had to repair the road. Contractor bore crew for the cable company got one hell of a healty bill.

Years of Experience

Biggest damage I ever saw was an AT&T multiple duct damage several years ago, and this was directly in front of an AT&T facility. Just shy of one million dollars in damages. The CLS locator had tried to maintain the marks over the course of a major road project, but at the time of said damage was covering an insane amount of real estate. The year prior to the damage there were 5-6 guys covering the area he was covering alone.

Wow, never seen that one before, eh? Of course he was "snuffed" after this incident as well.