Thread: Big Sandy

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Big Sandy

I expect from this really big storm those in it's path can expect to find similar working condition and work load.

I expect a lot of emergencies for replacing broken poles. These can last for a week or two as it can take that long to get to them all when storm damage is over a really wide ares.

After the storm can come a long period of time for stump removal tickets, possibly hundreds of them.

During the storm little to nothing can be done except respond to emergencies. Immediately after the storm some routine tickets will come in while excavators are finding out if they can work or not. Now many pole replacement tickets are possible.

Every place will be wet and all manholes and hand holes will be flooded so have your electric / gasoline pump ready for use or at least a hand operated bilge pump for hand holes.

Keep at least one pair of pants, one extra pair of boots and as may dry socks you can carry. Your feet are going to be wet and your pants legs will get soaked. Dry cloths are a good thing to have especially with falling temperatures.

Can for extra gas on your vehicle as you cannot count on gas stations having power for their pumps. You are not going to be mowing the lawn anyway so you may as well take that gas can with you.

Stores and restaurants are also going to be out of power so carry food and drink. Canned food or packaged food that does not require refrigeration. Remember, these days there are no prices on items, most places rely on bar codes and do not know what to charge if power to operate the scanner is out.

Cash! With communications and power down retailers cannot run your credit card. Also the telecheck confirmation system can be out so they may not be able confirm your checks. So if you want to be assured of purchasing anything from a working store you need to carry cash.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Big Sandy

Oh yes, I forgot. Almost all excavators will call demanding remarks due to the old marks being washed away. They will do this as a matter of routine without anyone going to the site and seeing if the marks were still in place.

Years of Experience

Hope all come thru safe looks like a nasty storm headed your way. Do the one call centers suspend routine tickets in cases like this. They wont in my state we got hit by a tornado this year and had 500-600 broken poles in 3 days in a fairly small area. We spent hours every day delaying normal tickets

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Hope all come thru safe looks like a nasty storm headed your way. Do the one call centers suspend routine tickets in cases like this. They wont in my state we got hit by a tornado this year and had 500-600 broken poles in 3 days in a fairly small area. We spent hours every day delaying normal tickets
    Never heard of them suspending normal tickets in the Maryland, Dc and Virginia area.

Back in the early 90's the Mayor of DC declared a state of emergency during an ice storm and ordered all nonessential businesses closed. (I was out there running emergencies in Maryland. ) I do not know if DC Miss Utility continued to take routine tickets or not but I doubt that many were called in. (This was pre-laptop computer so all dispatch was by radio with pager alerts to call dispatch, did not have cell phones yet. So I could not see if routine tickets were coming in.)

Years of Experience

Well the local news is now full of closings for tomorrow, Monday. Seems all the area school systems, local government, Federal government, trains, buses, subway system and others are all closing. Also the President has signed the order declaring Maryland an emergency area and has FEMA standing by.

Was that underwater marking paint I saw in the store room?

Years of Experience
    17 years

You take care of yourself there PL. Looks like it could get ugly. If this storm hits, I hope you'll be safe and you wake up with lots of cool stuff blown in your yard (leafblowers, laptops, bank bags, etc.... (Gotta be a silver lining in there somewhere).
    Seriously, good luck. Keep us informed.

Years of Experience
    30+

Keeping all my fellow locators up in the northeast in my prayers.

Years of Experience

I will be thinking about all the locators after sandy goes thru . I worked the aftermath of hurricane Andrew , my heart is feeling for you all , be careful .

Years of Experience

I am ready to come work OT ASAP !!!!! I am on standby.....ha! Good luck with this ONE !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato