Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: The BIG announcement.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default The BIG announcement.

Its big for me, anyway. I have decided to quit locating and to pursue another career. I've given my notice and I will be unemployed at the end of the day on Friday, may 29. I have 2 weeks left. I will continue to be active in the locating industry through this website. I have let it decline and some of our older members aren't as active as they used to be. That is my fault and I want to make this place worth visiting.

Here are my plans

June - enjoy myself. Work on the website which means get smilies back and a few other odds and ends in addition to what I've already mentioned. Go fishing, camping and whatever else I wanna do.
    July - take a bike (bicycle) trip from Boise, Idaho (my home) to the Seattle area, down the Washington/Oregon coast to southern Oregon and ride back to Boise. It should take about a month. Go to Crazyguyonabike.com to see what bike touring is all about.
    August - look for a job at a pizza place and learn the pizza business.
    unknown - open my own pizza place.

On my bike trip I would like to meet up with as many people as I can. I think it would be interesting. I'll start a thread and let people know where I am or where I'm headed. I don't have a specific route planned. Just a general direction.

Thanks
    Steve
    daman1, yahoo, UULC and 4 others like this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: The BIG announcement.

Wow Steve. Good luck with that. Too many people forget to enjoy their lives and take chances. Good for you.

Years of Experience

Steve ....I am excited for you .....but you need to call me asap ...LOL
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

Rumor has it that Steve invites them to a "free lunch", and you know a locator can't turn down a free lunch. When the unsuspecting locator comes to the meeting spot. Steve sedates them with a couple roofies and puts them down in the basement to jog on the life size hamster wheels that are connected to the power of his house. The more this site grows the more locators Steve needs... It's the price we have to pay.

mke

On second thought, I think Mke busted Steve out so now he has to go on the road to find his "power supply". Pray your phone doesn't ring when he's in town fellow locators. Keep your kids close and your women out of sight.
    Mke likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Congrates Steve!!!! Happiness does not equate to doing things other people expect of us.

I am considering making some changes myself. I would like to stay with locating but I am not making any restrictions. More important to enjoy life.

Years of Experience

You know, I'm looking to hire a couple more laborers...want to join the other side?
    yahoo and Nb22x like this.

Years of Experience

Good Luck Steve!

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; May 16th, 2015 at 02:45 AM.

Years of Experience

Steve congrats on your move,if you have some spare time this event is off the hook RAGBRAI | The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Congrats Steve!

Not just because I'd like to get out of locating, but I love pizza... How much will it cost us for you to name a pizza after us?

The Mke - Alfredo sauce, motzerella, Parmesan and Romano, feta cheeses, grilled seasoned chicken, dates, bacon, onions and good fancy mushrooms.

On a side note, let me know when you are near the OR /WA boarder and I'll risk buying you lunch if I can free up. I'm going to guess its hard to conceal a 230lb guy on the back of a schwin for your power supply needs.

Mke
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to the change and the time off but I'm also, as you might suspect, a bit apprehensive about the whole thing. I make pretty good money at this company. I'm walking away from that security and jumping straight into the unknown. Yikes. What am I doing?

In a conversation with my boss the other day I told him I've changed my mind 50 times since giving notice. I gave him 2 months notice not 2 weeks like I implied earlier. Either way this will be a big change for me.
    yahoo likes this.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Yikes! Say it ain't so, Steve.

I am thinking the recent other announcement you made a few months earlier about some other company grabbing away a contract that you guys had for years had something to do with this? Is there any truth to that?

Was it also true that you had Cable TV only to locate for? Surely that was less stressful than doing gas, no?

And making good money doing cable TV only? If that is all true then you have found the locator's paradise my friend...

Just sayin', it sounds like a sweet deal you had. If you still decide to go, keep in touch on this website and post often. God bless you.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've been thinking about it for several years. With every summer getting harder to tolerate it was only a matter of time before I left.

Losing the contract made me think that our present contract was in jeopardy, also. It may be, it may not be. I'm not too smart when it comes to these matters it seems. If it were then I would be leaving either way.

Yes, locating only CATV and getting good pay is the holy grail of locating I admit. I'm sure I will regret my decision on many occasions. I just hope that the regrets aren't permanent.

I'll be around much more than earlier. Like I mentioned earlier. I have let the website slide and I need to get it back on track. I'll be posting much more than before.

Thanks
    Steve

Years of Experience

My dream is a food cart, like hot dogs, on a beach with year round summer. Spend the days counting tattoos on the skimpy swimsuit clad girls.

It is a worthy dream.
    yahoo, TheCableVine and phoenix827 like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I've been thinking about it for several years. With every summer getting harder to tolerate it was only a matter of time before I left.

Losing the contract made me think that our present contract was in jeopardy, also. It may be, it may not be. I'm not too smart when it comes to these matters it seems. If it were then I would be leaving either way.

Yes, locating only CATV and getting good pay is the holy grail of locating I admit. I'm sure I will regret my decision on many occasions. I just hope that the regrets aren't permanent.

I'll be around much more than earlier. Like I mentioned earlier. I have let the website slide and I need to get it back on track. I'll be posting much more than before.

Thanks
    Steve
    I know what you mean. I have been at the supervisors job for 4 years. This area had 5 supervisors when I started and has been reduced to three. The work load from the two gone supervisors dropped onto the remaining three. Since they rif'ed half the damage investigators added duty of damage investigations including after hours which they say they "can't" pay us OT because we are salaried. The audits the damage investigators did has been placed on us as well. More reports to do at night. Now they want us in marking on weekends. Being we are salaried they "can't" pay us OT but they offered a bonus which is less than OT. Did away with quarterly bonus then added to pay about half what we got for bonus and told us that pay cut was a "raise". Except for one cost of living raise still at start pay. Counting inflation I make less money than when I started. There are other things going on I am not putting into this posting. Overall everything is going downhill and picking up speed every day now. Like you said, time comes to do something else.
    Last edited by ProfessionalLocator; May 17th, 2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: make correction
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

do I think your nuts? yup!
    Am I jealous that you are in a place that you CAN leave the daily grind and enjoy life a bit? HELL YES!!
    Congrats and don't look back!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast