• 1 Post By USIC1
  • 3 Post By Mke
  • 2 Post By PokerAdam
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 2 Post By daman1

Thread: Best training methods?!

Years of Experience

Question Best training methods?!

I've been locating for 1 year and a half.
    I just got my first trainee on Mon. he's doing ok.

I have him shadow me, audit my marks with his machine.
    or have him mark a line on my ticket and I'll check it.

What kind of field training methods have you all done with a noob?
    and how long were they with you?

My DI (20 yrs exp.) said he rode along for 3 MONTHS! before locating.
    I rode along for 1 month before my first completed ticket by myself.
    Now, my boss wants this trainee to do a couple tickets a day and hes been with me for less than A WEEK!??

I made him flashcards, gave him homework, and extra time behind the stick in the field,
    I still have to make my #'s for the day while coaching him...
    Locating is VERY hands-on, you don't know it until you've done it a couple times, not just watching someone do it.

Didn't they have field trainers back in the day??
    Noobs are not going to learn much technique by watching me run through 25 tix a day radio-mode, power-mode,
    not hooking up to some ped's/ not unbonding b/c I know my area and contractors very well.

I try to do it by the book when he's with me, but it honesty takes TOO LONG to do it like that and still get all my $hit done...
    This is a problem for my trainee...

My VERY FIRST ticket took me 8 HOURS to complete... how about yours?

I'm guessing everyone's learns differently....?
    SO what are some thing's you've done with your trainees?
    Thanks.
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Best training methods?!

When I got out of the in class training I was sent to help out a senior guy marking a large project for two days, the third day I had twenty tickets in my que and the sup called me and said good luck.

Years of Experience

people with great common sense ....only needs a ride-a-long buddy to help train him in about 1 month.......BUT an educated man with great book sense needs a training class for about 1 month after he has rode along with a guy in the field for about 2 weeks .....
    Nb22x and Mke like this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

You do all the driving, and let him handle the computer (prints, tickets, etc...) Let him tell you where to go next... let him handle the ticket upon arrival... you just fill in when needed to instruct...
    UULC, PokerAdam and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Go to this Web Page and you can sign up to receive a free How to Locate 101. Save it to a file or print it out. It is a read only file and will not let you attach it to anything.

Schonstedt Instrument Company: Locating Handbook

Years of Experience
    na

Since your not talking xtra $ for xtra duties and they still want you to pump out the same work load - I d resort to plan A

Just show him how to drop the box alot...

Once the word gets out and they yank the trainee you can go back to the less stressful day with the same compensation...

I only had 1 day as a trainer and was never hindered with the extra responsibility again....

No hard feelings over shunning a noob... These companys need to accommodate the extra responsibility in some way that's all...
    Last edited by USIC1; July 19th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Nb22x likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Swagman can back me up on this. When he trained me with no previous experience: First day was a ride along and watch. Second day was Ride along and route tickets and look up maps with sprinkled jobs where I used the reciever. 3rd day I drove, did the maps, and started to do most of the basic locating with him checking my work. In that first week, he also left me on site for about an hour to do a job, just to see how I would do it without having him around.

However, I am currently 3 months into training a new guy who has 12 yrs experience with publics. I'll be damned if I can leave him alone on site yet. I can leave him with jobs that have a predictible outcome, but I can not leave him by himself on any job that is typical, but not predictable.

I'm begining to think that Training is based on the trainee. Some Trainees you can throw stuff at and they can muddle successfully through it, and then there are some you toss things at and they look at you like your an idiot. The other thing a good trainee does is respect their trainer. Some trainiees think that you are throwing all the crap jobs to them, little do they know that all the jobs are crap.

Mke
    PokerAdam, yahoo and UULC like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Once the trainee got enough experiance to know how to hook up I would take them to a housing development construction site. I tell them to hook up and see how the machine responds and 'feels' when correctly on the utility. I leave and do a couple of tickets then return and go over the site together. If they are correctly hooking up and using the locate equipmnet correctly then they will be able to duplicate my marks.

Years of Experience

The first thing you need to find out is if this person can navigate themselves out of a wet paper bag. I would spend the first half of the day teaching the computer. Navigation software (Map point, street n trips, delorme, whatever), ticket management software (how to log on, how to route work, how to research tickets, what all the info on the locate request means, etc...), prints/platts. For the next half of the day I would go out and let her watch me locate, explaining as I went along, exactly what I was doing...and why. At the end of his 8hrs, I would drop her off and go finish my work for the day. (Of course I would claim the time.) On day two I would conduct a quick review of what we went over the day before. I would hand the computer to the nub (In the navy we used this term: N-on U-seful B-ody) and have her do all the computer work for the day. This way I could coach and assist with all the computer and navigation stuff in between locates. Of course, at the end of 8, drop off and finish work. This routine would continue until some sort of mastery of the computer stuff was accomplished. If she was incapable of grasping this side of the job withing a week, I would advise the management that she was not field technician material.
    As soon as she shows some mastery of the electronic side, I can then put her behind the wheel. Her job would then be to drive her route, I would get out and teach her the field side of the job, most importantly advocating safety, risk assessment, job assessment, ticket review, etc...(whatever the companies 10 steps are). This should take about another week if only one utility is being marked.
    The final weeks, you should only be advising and auditing her work, making corrections as necessary.
    Voila' you have a new locator. As a manager/supervisor, I would then assign easy tickets (CATV/Phone drops, Pet fences, landscaping.....single address tickets). I would send my auditor/supervisor to review every locate completed (especially the clears). Down the road 2/3 weeks, you can begin assigning the more difficult locates. I would advise her to call if she had any questions on any thing.
    Until she is contributing, and not causing the workload of another to be increased, I would limit her hours to 40 or less. No on-call.
    After about 6 months she should be fully trained a capable...still new and inexperienced...but capable. She then should be able to be fully accountable for her work and assigned OT and on-call as required.
    Of course this is because I live in a bubble and have all the time in the world to do things the right way.
    My actual experience is, put the person out there, show them the basics, follow them after. Sink or swim, only the sharks survive.
    Mostly I was given two weeks to train the new person on one utility, a month for multiple utilities.
    Last edited by PokerAdam; July 22nd, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
    UULC and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I'm beginning to think that Training is based on the trainee. Some Trainees you can throw stuff at and they can muddle successfully through it. There are some you toss things at and they look at you like you're an idiot. The other thing a good trainee does is respect their trainer. Some trainees think you are throwing all the crap jobs to them. Little do they know that all the jobs are crap.

Mke
    Greetings Mke - That's funny, you sayin', "all the jobs are crap." Thumbs up on all your input! I agree, there are some noobs you toss things at and they look at you like you're the idiot. A trainer can fix an ignorant trainee, but a trainer can't fix stupid.

I have found the noobs that accept instruction without objections are worth the effort. Those stupid noobs who ask for help on the phone and then argue the suggestion stinks (as if they know more about locating than the senior techs) make me just shake my head. Those who argue/question any senior tech's suggestion seldom stick around for long. Those arguing noobs who hang around for awhile usually stink as locators their entire locating career.......... just sayin'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

I have found the noobs that accept instruction without objections are worth the effort. Those stupid noobs who ask for help on the phone and then argue the suggestion stinks (as if they know more about locating than the senior techs) make me just shake my head.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My 14 year old is entering that phase........ Dad, will you fix my bike???........ Ok kiddo, see this bolt here? You have to put it on before that one....... I don't see why you have to do it like that, Dad. It's obviously easier to put this bolt in first...... I know it seems like that son, but you won't be able to put your brakes on right unless you do it like I showed you........ No Dad, that doesn't make sense. I'm gonna put that bolt on while it's easy....... Fine. Do it your way. Next time don't ask for help if your going to argue and ignore my suggestions. I have a lawn to mow and a noob just like you to train in the morning. Grrrrrrr......Headshake... Grumble...........

Hey Mom, what's Dad's problem? I guess he just woke up in a bad mood. All I did was ask for help. He got grouchy at me for no reason whatsoever. Now my bike won't work and it's all his fault !!!!!
    UULC and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience

This is gonna be a slight diversion from the topic. This Spring our team received a transfer from Texas who had one-year experience in locating. What a joke........ Granted, he came from a one-way area into my seven- to thirteen-way area. I seriously think he never hooked up to anything. Every damage of his I investigated left me thinking his gain was outa sight or he just free-lanced everything. Every suggestion I tossed at him for correction was met with a stare which made me think I was the idiot. He lasted maybe six weeks here, but I can honestly say, "Good Riddance!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

This is gonna be a slight diversion from the topic. This Spring our team received a transfer from Texas who had one-year experience in locating. What a joke........ Granted, he came from a one-way area into my seven- to thirteen-way area. I seriously think he never hooked up to anything. Every damage of his I investigated left me thinking his gain was outa sight or he just free-lanced everything. Every suggestion I tossed at him for correction was met with a stare which made me think I was the idiot. He lasted maybe six weeks here, but I can honestly say, "Good Riddance!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if that would have been a Texas Mylie trainee you would have taken extra measures to have that trainee succeed...