Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RD_Wrangler
  • 1 Post By 4Q2

Thread: Best Computer for our Trucks

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Best Computer for our Trucks

I have my personal computer that I take with me everyday and get all my email to it. I use all MS Office. I have a lot of prints on it. The 72 gig hard drive is full. I need a new computer. I would like the Tough Book but my wallet disagrees.

Default Re: Best Computer for our Trucks

Toughbooks are the best, but they certainly are proud of them. Dell makes a semi rugged laptop that I have used in the past. It worked well and it was a fraction of the price. Also, what is the cell coverage like where you work? Have you considered a "cloud" based solution?

Years of Experience
    30+

I am old school and I do not know what the cloud is. When I started I had a dot matrix printer in my home hooked to the phone.

Years of Experience

I agree thoughbooks are the best, Dell makes a version called the ATG. I have used them and they are not bad. I also suggest if your wallet is light to get a external hard drive and transfer some of the less used items to that drive freeing up space on the computer hard drive. You can keep the external with you and only attach it when needed.

Years of Experience

I have always had ....the same one..... Panasonic Toughbook since I can remember.....the only way I would stop using the one I had is only to get another one with new updated technology !!!! It is great machine !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The rugged class Panisonic Toughbook is the gold standard for locating. Very reliable and hard to break. The only weak point I could find was the keyboard.

They also offer a semi-rugged model that would probably do just as wll for us for less money.

Money spent on rugged field class computers is money well spent. The cheaper office mdoel laptops are too expensive once you add up repairs and lost manhours. But the bean counters spread sheets do not include lost man hours so the cheaper office equipment only looks like they are spending less money.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Ditto... Toughbook. depending on the software you are using you need to make sure you get a nice solid state drive. Removable hard drive is a pretty smart idea as well, depending on how you store prints.

Mke

Years of Experience

*Looks at his Dell Latitude and iPad...*
    yahoo likes this.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

4Q2
    Years of Experience

Holy Chit Man...... Ya'll livin in the Dark Ages b4 Dark Fiber connects to multiple DataCenters besides 165 Halsey...... everything I need fits in my top pocket,,,,,,,, Samsung Galaxy S2.....

Plans: Mobile Earth plus KMLZ App to open/hold plan layers stored in MyPlaces on regular Earth (mobile earth does not offer MyPlaces layers to be stored- Goggle Glass fockers gotta squeeze every drop of blood out of us b4 they will intagrate Earth/Maps!!)

Tickets: Will then you'd know where I work.... but I do locate the in the oldest most congested city areas in the country..... great not having to go back to truck anymore to pull up stuff on....... whadya' call them bricks u using? S2 way faster, never crashes........

Even adopey .pdf's if by some chance my alshyemers kicks in and I forget the details.........
    Last edited by 4Q2; March 27th, 2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: alshymers
    RD_Wrangler likes this.