Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: That Awkward Moment When...

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: That Awkward Moment When...

I think all JD is asking is that we at least ring the doorbell and to get in that backyard. Most of us know that's our job and already do. That's not asking too much, is it? I'm with UULC tho. My old skinny ass aint jumpin no fences.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I think all JC is asking is that we at least ring the doorbell to try to get in that backyard. Most of us know that's our job and we already do that. That's not asking too much, is it? I'm with UULC cuz just because some ashole home owner doesn't wanna talk to me doesn't mean my skinny old ass is gonna jump that fence. Sorry JC that's on you.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

My protocol when doing a locate...

1. Show up. Knock on door. Person answers I tell them why I am there. If the contractor didn't tell them what is going on then I'll tell them if I know. Sometimes I have to guess at what is going on. If the homeowner still doesn't understand or they seem to have more questions I will GLADLY give them the phone number of the contractor so the HO can call them directly. I'm able to do the locate now 99% of the time.

2. Show up. Knock on door. No answer. Attempt access. No access; I will document it and go on. Next day... Show up and attempt locate again. No access. I call the contractor and let them know I have made 2 attempts with no access. I tell them it is now in their court. They can try and contact the HO to arrange for access since they will also need access to do the work. I will usually get a call back about 80% of the time from the contractor who tells me they were able to contact the HO and the gates will be unlocked the following day (or some other method of access) or I will never hear back from the contractor and they will dig without marks.

That has worked pretty well for me for years.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    God damn there are a bunch of ignorant retards in this thread. Let me break it down again for all you brain surgeons:

Cheddar and Tom Edward - I don't expect you to explain to the homeowner why we're digging, etc. I said very plainly that sometimes the homeowners aren't home or don't return calls to the tags left on doors.

Mke - Hey, it's the law I gotta call in, can't do it myself. So suck on that one.

UULC - drag your fat ass into a gym and read a law book while you are there. You are a contractor for the various utilities you locate. There is an easement in their backyard - they can do nothing - including locked gates to prevent you access. Want further proof? Call the local police or sheriff and ask them that. It's common ****ing sense.

GWJ - This is not ignorance of the system - this is about some lazy fvck who doesn't want to talk to a homeowner and will just write the ticket off. That's where all this started. It's you assholes that keep turning it into - everything on this job is your responsibility. You even have to hold our hands and wipe our ass because we can't do anything for ourselves. If I'm wrong, that's how you're all coming off on this thread.

If any of you think I'm going to back down on this you're sorely mistaken. God damn, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Apparently JayC, it is you that needs to read a book...while an easement permits the placement of a utility through a property it does not convey ownership of the property through which the utility runs, it merely provides an allowance for the placement and maintenance of that utility, the property owner retains ownership of the land described in the easement limits. A Right-of-Way would convey ownership of the portion of land through which the utility runs for the exclusive use of the utility owner.

In most states, an easement can be utilized by the landowner for his enjoyment and it may be impounded behind fences or gates restricting access as it remains the real and owned property of the landowner. Easement restrictions vary and the landowner may be able to even construct temporary or permanent structures within the easement but would be at risk of damage or removal if the easement needed to be accessed for say an invasive repair to a damaged underground facility...

All that said, there are several laws, including that pesky US Constitution and other things like the Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground that make "jumping a fence" to access a utility easement illegal or potentially deadly. Like UULC, I have seen city workers arrested for circumventing a locked fence gate to access a utility easement, they were arrested for burglary, trespassing and illegal entry by a government agent. Yes, you read that right...one of the protections of the Fourth Amendment is from illegal entry into your property by an agent of the government...city/county/state/township workers are government employees and are considered agents of the government, for them entering private property with warrant or invitation is illegal...why do you think water meters are placed at the edge of the property? Why are sewer laterals owned by the property owner until they cross out of private property?

And I can guarantee you that here in Texas, where we take property rights very seriously, jumping a fence to access an easement will get you shot. In fact, under our laws here, if I see you disturbing my neighbor's property I can shoot you as there is no dollar limit or requirement on our statute for protecting "life or property", it does not need to be your own life or property.

Years of Experience

God damn there are a bunch of ignorant retards in this thread. Let me break it down again for all you brain surgeons:

Cheddar and Tom Edward - I don't expect you to explain to the homeowner why we're digging, etc. I said very plainly that sometimes the homeowners aren't home or don't return calls to the tags left on doors.

Mke - Hey, it's the law I gotta call in, can't do it myself. So suck on that one.

UULC - drag your fat ass into a gym and read a law book while you are there. You are a contractor for the various utilities you locate. There is an easement in their backyard - they can do nothing - including locked gates to prevent you access. Want further proof? Call the local police or sheriff and ask them that. It's common ****ing sense.

GWJ - This is not ignorance of the system - this is about some lazy fvck who doesn't want to talk to a homeowner and will just write the ticket off. That's where all this started. It's you assholes that keep turning it into - everything on this job is your responsibility. You even have to hold our hands and wipe our ass because we can't do anything for ourselves. If I'm wrong, that's how you're all coming off on this thread.

If any of you think I'm going to back down on this you're sorely mistaken. God damn, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
    Keep proving our point to us with every lame response...
    Again!!! for emphasis!!!

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    Apparently JayC, it is you that needs to read a book...while an easement permits the placement of a utility through a property it does not convey ownership of the property through which the utility runs, it merely provides an allowance for the placement and maintenance of that utility, the property owner retains ownership of the land described in the easement limits. A Right-of-Way would convey ownership of the portion of land through which the utility runs for the exclusive use of the utility owner.

In most states, an easement can be utilized by the landowner for his enjoyment and it may be impounded behind fences or gates restricting access as it remains the real and owned property of the landowner. Easement restrictions vary and the landowner may be able to even construct temporary or permanent structures within the easement but would be at risk of damage or removal if the easement needed to be accessed for say an invasive repair to a damaged underground facility...

All that said, there are several laws, including that pesky US Constitution and other things like the Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground that make "jumping a fence" to access a utility easement illegal or potentially deadly. Like UULC, I have seen city workers arrested for circumventing a locked fence gate to access a utility easement, they were arrested for burglary, trespassing and illegal entry by a government agent. Yes, you read that right...one of the protections of the Fourth Amendment is from illegal entry into your property by an agent of the government...city/county/state/township workers are government employees and are considered agents of the government, for them entering private property with warrant or invitation is illegal...why do you think water meters are placed at the edge of the property? Why are sewer laterals owned by the property owner until they cross out of private property?

And I can guarantee you that here in Texas, where we take property rights very seriously, jumping a fence to access an easement will get you shot. In fact, under our laws here, if I see you disturbing my neighbor's property I can shoot you as there is no dollar limit or requirement on our statute for protecting "life or property", it does not need to be your own life or property.
    Very well said as usual, Greg.

JayC, I don't think this thread would have gotten so bitter had you not started with the name calling and personal attacks. I don't know what kind of constructive conversation you hoped to have by tossing a grenade into the mix but there's really not much disagreement on whether we should knock or not. You disagreed with one member and wound up insulting everyone.
    Lighten up a little.
    Last edited by daman1; October 30th, 2015 at 10:15 PM.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

A huge 'thank you' to Mke and UULC, and others for being reasonable, logic minded people. And shoving that arrogant bullcrap back down jayc's throat. I was about to do it myself, but saw that you guys had already beat me to it.

Jayc has obviously not spent much time as a locator. Or at least has not had any experiences getting attacked by vicious dogs in the line of duty.

Do I need to remind anyone of that USIC locator in Huber Heights, Ohio who was badly attacked by a pitbull in the back yard of a homeowner? The pit bull attack that was so bad it made the news? It's even on youtube. Do you think she would have called the excavator and requested a site meeting had she known a dog attack was even remotely possible?

I'm sure she calls every single time she sees a dog now, after that attack happened. I just pray she doesn't get 'jayc' on the other end of that line.

Nothing makes me more disgusted than when someone displays a jaded disregard for the personal safety of someone else. Especially on easy to manage terms like a quick site meeting. The site meeting doesn't even have to be seperate from the job start date. It can be 5 minutes before they plan to start the work. Simplicity itself.

I am just going to ignore his posts from now on.

Again thanks Mke, UULC, and others.

Years of Experience

JayC, you might feel better if you did take some crazy pills. B/C you are crazy! Also, ignorant as a MOfo too.

All locators are not the same. Just as all contractors are not the same. Your condescending attitude makes you a narcissist and a dick. If I had the chance, I would paint any utility easement you work in like a tic-tac-toe board and hoped you died from exhaustion and/or guessing.

Hope you go out of business sooner rather than later.

Years of Experience

Did I mention JayC is a prick? After re-reading some of the crap he laid down here, I actually hope his ass is fubar'd by someone's pitbull someday realllllly soon.

JayC, you are one ignorant, low life, goober gobbling, SOB!

Years of Experience

All I've heard in this thread is, "Whaa whaa whaaa I'm a little bitch who is too lazy to hop a fence or talk to a homeowner."

Grow up and grow a pair.
    Im a utility locator, my job is not animal control nor is it an Olympic hurdle participant. And HO dont want you jumping their fence. And contractors like you are the ones I dont respond to if you cant find my fiber because its deep and i know my marks are right. I will tell you to keep digging because I found its location its your job to find its depth. Some locators are lazy yes i will agree. But i have ran into WAY more lazy contractors than I have locators. A damn can of white paint is 3 bucks. INVEST and you wont have as many phone calls from these piece of shit locators. I so wish I was marking something for you after you just assume you can bash someone like they are ****ing below you. UULC is buddy of mine has helped me out when no one else wanted to work the area. I would completely destroy your day with a case of paint and a smile. Then i would pass it on to the rest of the locators what kinda guy you are and then they would continue to destroy your day right behind me. get real dude your childish as ****. I hope you honestly cut everything in your way and your at fault for it all.

Dick

Sincerly,

A piece of shit locator

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Climbing a fence presents problems, the most common is rotted wood. You can't always tell as I have seen rotted wood painted over. So a collapsing fence is to be avoided because of injuries and the homeowner now wants a nice new fence at your expense.

Most dogs are friendly but you can't tell which ones will suddenly decide to attack. The friendly dog is also a curious dog and gets the wet paint you just put down on it's fur.

Years of Experience

Hope you come to our state . How you like digging with a spoon to do your jobs ?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Climbing a fence presents problems, the most common is rotted wood. You can't always tell as I have seen rotted wood painted over. So a collapsing fence is to be avoided because of injuries and the homeowner now wants a nice new fence at your expense.

Most dogs are friendly but you can't tell which ones will suddenly decide to attack. The friendly dog is also a curious dog and gets the wet paint you just put down on it's fur.
    friendly is fine territorial is where there is a problem, and ANY dog can decide this is their spot and you don't belong there at any time. As for dogs in the wet paint, I had a little craphead of a mutt running around the projects I was marking one day giving me grief. Before I tweaked on the kid he belonged to I noticed he was orange from about mid thigh down! lol
    alamo likes this.

Banned
    Years of Experience

Most dogs are friendly. I think so.

Banned
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by HUIASQ View Post
    Most ****** dogs are friendly. I think so.
    I think so
    Last edited by TheCableVine; November 19th, 2015 at 02:35 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123