Thread: August 8, 2008

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Default August 8, 2008

Okay, so this is the kind of stuff I think about when I am lying awake at 04:00am

This August 08, 2008 and 08:08:08 the date and time,expressed numerically will be:

Y M D H M Sec
    08-08-08-08-08-08
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Chicagoman

Default Re: August 8, 2008

Also the start date of the China Olympics. I wonder how much a locator get paid there? I know there have more freedom of speech on the China Cablevine Forum LOL

You are still tooooooo funny Underground. What are you doing awake at 4:00 a.m.? Aren't you tired from all that work you've been doing?

Years of Experience

Is this like the year 2000 bug. I'm still surprised everyone survived they year changing from 1999 to 2000. It was a very scary moment.

Years of Experience

Thats pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoman View Post
    Also the start date of the China Olympics. I wonder how much a locator get paid there? I know there have more freedom of speech on the China Cablevine Forum LOL

Hey COOOOOLLLL!

I have not followed the olympic games. The date is indeed the start of the olympics and that REALLY MAKES SENSE.

In chinese numerology, the number EIGHT is supposed to bring good luck.

No freekin wonder they went after the olympics with such ferver and you can bet they had that date in mind years ago!

Here is a clip from wikipedia

Eight
    The word for "eight" in Chinese (Pinyin: bā) sounds similar to the word which means "prosper" or "wealth" (发 - short for "发财", Pinyin: fā). In regional dialects the words for "eight" and "fortune" are also similar, eg Cantonese "baat" and "faat".

There is also a resemblance between two digits, "88", and the shuang xi ('double joy'), a popular decorative design composed of two stylized characters 喜 (xi, 'joy', 'happiness').

Telephone number 8888-8888 was sold for USD$270,723 in Chengdu, China.

The Summer Olympics in Beijing are scheduled to open on 8/8/08 at 8:08:08 p.m.[2]
    Last edited by underground quester; July 7th, 2008 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LocatingLarry View Post
    You are still tooooooo funny Underground. What are you doing awake at 4:00 a.m.? Aren't you tired from all that work you've been doing?
    Dog ass tired actually! However, we are pretty short staffed right now and so am seeing a fair number of very long, complicated, 6 way locates. Then I pop awake at 04:00 in the morning going over things in my mind wondering if I caught all the crap.

A locate I had Wednesday, had dips on every second pole, gas mains & crossings, tons of gas services, regular telephone, telephone services, telephone ducts & fiber, primary and secondary power, power ducts, water mains, drainage running every which way; and some crap that would not locate well (a gas service and a power dip). It was about three city blocks long but just a cluster ____ of crap everywhere! Some of which was not on the computer/prints.

But, other than that, it was an easy day!!!

Had to have our auditor out to see if he could locate the one long steel gas service - I direct connected 5 places, he direct connected six places and still could not locate it. But hey, you know what they say, locating is NOT rocket science, right??
    Last edited by underground quester; July 7th, 2008 at 12:55 AM.

Well Underground, you know you are not getting paid to do your job at 4:00 a.m., unless you are on call and get a call-out. Leave it for working hours and not when you are supposed to be sleeping. Just remember: don't work at all without getting paid for it!!!!!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Leave work at work, and home at home. But I do that same stuff. It is very hard not to bring your work home with you at night. At least for me.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

I know it is!!!!!!!! I think we all do it!!!!!!!!!! Even the wives and children do it!!!!!!!!!!

My 8 year old daughter has heard us talking about the job and dreamed about it!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

now ...............that is scary....poor little girl??? must have been a nightmare....

Quote Originally Posted by LocatingLarry View Post
    I know it is!!!!!!!! I think we all do it!!!!!!!!!! Even the wives and children do it!!!!!!!!!!

My 8 year old daughter has heard us talking about the job and dreamed about it!!!!!!!!!
    I believe that would be considered Child Abuse in at least 32 states!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.