Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audits

Default Re: Audits

When Utiliquest located Verizon in Va Verizon would audit and if the locate was incomplete the tech didnt put VZN on the ground didnt use proper marking standard then Verizon didnt pay for that ticket. If you had a Damage you were followed for a whole day being audited.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    I think an independent auditing company would be a good thing. It would just be a matter of explaining the benefits and economics of it to sell the idea. But also as UGQ has stated... most people do not want change, even if it could be beneficial.
    I own a small company and we offer independent auditing & have actively promoted it with certain utilities over the past year because I too believe it is a crucial part of quality control for any business model.

We have offered auditing as part of service packages based on that utilities' needs. We have gotten alot of meetings & positive feedback but have yet to have a utility sign on.

The underlying reason is because although most company representatives we pitched to love the idea & see the value in these services, but it is hard to sell the "money" guys to greenlight it because we would not bring money back in directly to the bottom line.

That has been a frustration of mine over the last year. We can talk about how it will improve quality, therefore less damages will happen, etc. but showing...

audits= $$$$

...is a hard thing to prove.

Of course the economy hasn't helped either but this is something I believe in and will continue to pursue it. I think we could go a long way towards improving overall quality to our industry. We have some meetings coming up soon with utlities that will go unnamed, but I will keep you all posted...
    Last edited by frostypeters; November 19th, 2008 at 12:55 AM.
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frostypeters View Post
    I own a small company and we offer independent auditing & have actively promoted it with certain utilities over the past year because I too believe it is a crucial part of quality control for any business model.

We have offered auditing as part of service packages based on that utilities' needs. We have gotten alot of meetings & positive feedback but have yet to have a utility sign on.

The underlying reason is because although most company representatives we pitched to love the idea & see the value in these services, but it is hard to sell the "money" guys to greenlight it because we would not bring money back in directly to the bottom line.

That has been a frustration of mine over the last year. We can talk about how it will improve quality, therefore less damages will happen, etc. but showing...

audits= $$$$

...is a hard thing to prove.

Of course the economy hasn't helped either but this is something I believe in and will continue to pursue it. I think we could go a long way towards improving overall quality to our industry. We have some meetings coming up soon with utlities that will go unnamed, but I will keep you all posted...
    Frosty:

You are so right on regarding the money issue. Sometimes people cannot see past the "COST CENTER" thing to where it could save them money.

It is tough to sell a "concept" such as external auditing with all of its intangibles. Not like selling cars where you can see what you get.

But, keep going, sooner or later someone will open the door, then service the hell out of them, note every benefit accruing to the client, EXPECIALLY where money is saved. It is especially important to quantify any savings (that is: try to figure out an exact amount of $$ saved).

These benefits and dollar savings must be kept track of by you and can then be used to "justify" a new clients up front expense.

A somewhat negative thought I have had for some time is:
    I wonder if the utility companies are over-pricing "hit utility" situations to the point where they actually have become a "revenue center" for them. To my knowledge, no one here has actually taken the utilities to task when they charge for things like lost natural gas, a fee to relight a h/o's furnace, etc.

So, lets say it were a revenue center, it would be a damned tough sell to get them to give that up because they would likely be using those dollars to offset their cost of locating.

But, that is just me talking in my outloud voice again...
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Several years ago, one of the larger contractors in my area hired a woman to audit and film repairs to facilities their company had damaged. The 1st year she reduced their pay-out from over $300,000 the previous year to under $200,000. The 2nd year that figure dropped to around $80,000. In the meantime they had grown and the # of damages had increased slightly. She told me that the utility companies attempted to charge for backhoes -when they weren't used, excess man-hours-going to 2 hr lunches, saying 3 men had responded when only 1 had worked the repair. She normally had it all on video tape.
    Our customers aren't the "Angels" they want to appear to be.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12