Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AsKickin'

Default AsKickin'

Anyone into boxing, ufc etc? There are obviously better web sites geared towards that topic, but then you get the usual martial artists vs mma proponents arguments. I train daily, anyone else?

Default Re: AsKickin'

where do you train?
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

not into it dude???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    not into it dude???
    these guys would make great locators

Urban Ninja Moves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RA6T...eature=related

I just carry - easier on the old knuckles.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

I train in Shorin Ryu, Shorin Kan, and have dabled in Goje Ryu and Thai Sabaki.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

I took JuJitsu when I was in highschool. I think I know how to fall down correctly.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Scap, i train in a boxing gym with boxers, kickboxers and ufc wannabes. (Maybe you've seen Jason McDonald on ufc..got trounced by Rich Franklin, he used to strut around the gym till he lost) It is the oldest and at one time the toughest gym in town(for whatever that's worth). I myself am in Mo Kempo karate, which they have also taught there since the begining. Since karate's generally an "80's" martial art, we don't have a lot of people. most new young guys want to do mma. they don't realize we learn all the same shit in karate and then some. it's not no karate kid karate, it's "ass kickin' karate". i also box as we are in a boxing gym, and yes we also do jiu jitsu stuff too Dave72. I did muay thai/kickboxing for a few years to keep the skills up, then i got into capoeira. If you look up capoeira on youtube, you won't find many good examples(I haven't anyway), and most comments go as such;
    "Gay"
    "Gay"
    "That's gay"
    "looks like danceing".. etc.

I just did it for the cardio and all the crazy spinning kicks and stuff it teaches. It supplements karate nicely. I had to disappoint an awesome wing chun instructor who invited me to train with him personally because I had to go back on the plow crew, that sucked.
    I would never say one style is better than the other, even though i'm mostly karate. A good martialartist learns from all styles. I don't consider myself that either though, or a martialist. Other than Bruce as my avatar (incidently Scap, TonyJaa is my martial arts hero, and i like Jeff Speakman, Bruce was all therewas), I'm not into tradition, and i don't have any stupid asian symbols tattooed on me. I'm more of a "threat neutralizer" Mostly into fighting cops and too a lesser extent soldiers. i focus on disarming tactics, and yes I CAN take that gun from you, done it before.

GP, I like to think i'm knowledgeable, but i've only heard of Shorin Ryu, elaborate would you?. If you're anything like me than you know once you learned it all, there's six million more things you need to know.

Scap, just checked out the youtube link. that;s some crazy shit. i can probably do some of that, other things I'm not even sure how, where, or who i'd practice it with safely. That is definitely some of the agility i aspire to, you that good GP? Interestingly enough, capoeira training would be one of the best ways to achieve that level of agility.

Quote Originally Posted by advanceMan View Post
    Scap, i train in a boxing gym with boxers, kickboxers and ufc wannabes. (Maybe you've seen Jason McDonald on ufc..got trounced by Rich Franklin, he used to strut around the gym till he lost) It is the oldest and at one time the toughest gym in town(for whatever that's worth). I myself am in Mo Kempo karate, which they have also taught there since the begining. Since karate's generally an "80's" martial art, we don't have a lot of people. most new young guys want to do mma. they don't realize we learn all the same shit in karate and then some. it's not no karate kid karate, it's "ass kickin' karate". i also box as we are in a boxing gym, and yes we also do jiu jitsu stuff too Dave72. I did muay thai/kickboxing for a few years to keep the skills up, then i got into capoeira. If you look up capoeira on youtube, you won't find many good examples(I haven't anyway), and most comments go as such;
    "Gay"
    "Gay"
    "That's gay"
    "looks like danceing".. etc.

I just did it for the cardio and all the crazy spinning kicks and stuff it teaches. It supplements karate nicely. I had to disappoint an awesome wing chun instructor who invited me to train with him personally because I had to go back on the plow crew, that sucked.
    I would never say one style is better than the other, even though i'm mostly karate. A good martialartist learns from all styles. I don't consider myself that either though, or a martialist. Other than Bruce as my avatar (incidently Scap, TonyJaa is my martial arts hero, and i like Jeff Speakman, Bruce was all therewas), I'm not into tradition, and i don't have any stupid asian symbols tattooed on me. I'm more of a "threat neutralizer" Mostly into fighting cops and too a lesser extent soldiers. i focus on disarming tactics, and yes I CAN take that gun from you, done it before.

GP, I like to think i'm knowledgeable, but i've only heard of Shorin Ryu, elaborate would you?. If you're anything like me than you know once you learned it all, there's six million more things you need to know.

Sounds like you're in a whatever goes kinda gym. Nothing's wrong with Cap..I only asked you where you train because I wanted you to own yourself and say 'my house'

;-)

...sounds like you're in a gym that has a wide variety of arts. I personally have always been of the opinion that each art should have it's own gym. Especially Boxing. It has to be 100% with Boxing...You need every person that goes there sparring with each other, learning from each other, developing styles that each have a piece of every person they sparred with inside them.

anyway my angus steak just hit it's 1hr on the marinade so I am outtie

ps

wasn't ripping on your gym Cap is one of those things where you have to attend an anything goes gym to get anywhere, like learning sambo in louisiana. ~

No offence taken, different perspectives are good. My gym is primarily a boxing gym. they only started offering kickboxing a few years ago, and they've always taught karate. They are of course separate but you can take them all for a nominal fee. The mma guys usually come in to train, but there is no "mma" class. I can spar anyone i want to there i just have to ask. In fact there are trainers who want their fighters to spar me for practice. Just yesterday a young boxer was asking me if I thought TKD could beat a good jab(This was exactly his question... a young guys question) Since I don't do TKD, I wouldn't know. I think it's all in who's doing it. Everything else (capoeira, wing chun) I've learned from somewhere else.

Oh, ya, i do trin at 'my house' too.

Shorin Ryu is just an Okenawan form of Karate. There are some subtle differences between that and the mainlandforms. I got hooked in with a really old school instructor. He was a 6th at the time and is now an 8th. he has been in it for 40+ years, but could kick my ass right now in just under 30 seconds. We used to go to a lake behind his house and do squat kicks in the water. In waist deep water you bend down to the neck, up and pop a roundhouse over the top of the water. Anybody didn't crest the top and he would whack you with a bamboo stick. That still stings when I think about it. Now he actually has a Dojo, but he still holds the private classes for the guys that were with him in the old days.
    Yes. The more I learn, the more there is to learn. I have some friends that do other styles, and we informally cross train. There is nothing like a little "fight club" when you really want to unwind. (Except that we use gloves and foot gear of course)
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience
    na

Its just a phase... All the " how tough a guy can I be " falls by the wayside as years pass....

I had bought a Bodycraft K1 2 years ago to rekindle the enjoyment of strength training...
    But little by little the mind and spirit could nt overcome the cartilage, tendons, and discs...The structural integrity after 40 becomes quite limiting...

It was so debilitating mentally and physically after awhile, the knees and back from squats, shoulders screaming... An old pec injury resurfaced from doing 90lb flys years ago with only a 185lb body structure...

My advise is to work on doing physical activities that don t overtax the genetic makeup of the body that you may pay for in later years... Easier said then done of course...The mind is always deceiving when trying to calculate your limits...

I just gave the whole frikin apparatus away when I moved recently...

Moved on to playing music... It s safer... I dont want to end up like Ninja at my own hand...

Ironically though I did talk to a retired phone tech Ive known for some time today... Hes way up there on the belt chart and always trying to get me to get involved...
    Last edited by USIC1; March 19th, 2009 at 10:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast