• 1 Post By yahoo
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 2 Post By UULC
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By Red_Locator

Thread: Anyone has used this 'Traceable duct rodder', does it work?

Years of Experience

Default Anyone has used this 'Traceable duct rodder', does it work?

duct-rodder_1.jpg
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1b9dOsaXIP&s=p

"8mm*200m Cobra conduit rod traceable copper wire inside fiberglass duct rodder"

I'm a little skeptical about the above claim, can someone chime a thought on this?

TIA

Years of Experience

Default Re: Anyone has used this 'Traceable duct rodder', does it work?

have never used this one but have used others similiar metal only
    Newbie likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I have used metal electricians fish tape and that works so I am sure that product will work as well.
    Can get one from Loews for about $65. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-2...-Tape/50114243
    Newbie and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Our company has several of them. Up to 2000 ft. They work great. DO NOT buy a cheap one.
    yahoo and Newbie like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Our company has several of them. Up to 2000 ft. They work great. DO NOT buy a cheap one.
    I agree. The big traceable duct rodders that can reach a long distance are a must for any locate company. The smaller and less expensive metal fish tapes are critical for the individual locator is ideal for the many duct runs that do not require the big rodders that do not fit in the individuals vehicle. We had only a few at S&N because the owner thought $50 to equip a locator was too much to spend. When you factor in that the locate can not be done, that a supervisor or another locator must later meet the first locator they spent more on wages than fish tapes.
    Newbie likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I have used metal electricians fish tape and that works so I am sure that product will work as well.
    Can get one from Loews for about $65. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-2...-Tape/50114243
    Hi Pro, can you clarify how do you use the the fish tape?, direct connect red clamp on tape & black clamp to the earth spike? The reason I asked is, I did a small experiment this afternoon using a single core electrical copper wire and didn't get the current flowing unless I snubb the end into the ground (which is not possible if the wire is in the conduit below ground)..What am I missing?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    Hi Pro, can you clarify how do you use the the fish tape?, direct connect red clamp on tape & black clamp to the earth spike? The reason I asked is, I did a small experiment this afternoon using a single core electrical copper wire and didn't get the current flowing unless I snubb the end into the ground (which is not possible if the wire is in the conduit below ground)..What am I missing?
    I have attached insulated wire to the tape where both ends facing me and then hooked + on one end and - on the other.
    You need twice ad much wire as the length of the line. It's been known to work.
    Newbie likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    The fish tape is bare metal so only connect one transmitter lead to it and the other to a ground stake. I always wanted to try taking a long length of CATV coaxed cable attached to a fish tape. At the far end solder the core conductor to the sheath conductor and insulate the connection so it odes not ground out. This would take all or less current that your transmitter can be set to put out. With no ground stake all signal in closed loop. The sheath would broadcast the signal. I think this will give the least amount of bleed off.
    Newbie and daman1 like this.

Years of Experience
    a few

I use the Jameson mini duct hunter for water lines with lots of bends or prior repairs, it works well because the water left in the pipe completes the circuit so the ground stake works, if it is a dry conduit I have to feed in the double length wire and attach to it with both leads. I prefer the sonde for best results but sometimes it can't make the bends or past repairs and I have no choice but the rodder.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The fish tape is bare metal so only connect one transmitter lead to it and the other to a ground stake. I always wanted to try taking a long length of CATV coaxed cable attached to a fish tape. At the far end solder the core conductor to the sheath conductor and insulate the connection so it odes not ground out. This would take all or less current that your transmitter can be set to put out. With no ground stake all signal in closed loop. The sheath would broadcast the signal. I think this will give the least amount of bleed off.
    Ive lost connection on the tape during the run and had to keep pulling it back to reconnect. I suppose if you just twist the ends together on a coax or even a home AC electric chord it would work a lot better. As long as you have a loop it should get a huge signal.
    Newbie likes this.

Years of Experience

We use a couple types of locatable rodders. Depending on the length and the pipe diameter. Sometimes we’ll put a sonde on the end of it to double check where the end of pipe or obstruction is.
    yahoo likes this.