Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    19
    Years of Experience
    20+
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    Just wondering if there are some folks out there who refuse to get rid of it like me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    Quote Originally Posted by radar o reily View Post
    Just wondering if there are some folks out there who refuse to get rid of it like me.
    We have several such people and the old M-810 is a first rate machine in the hands of a skilled locator.

    MetroTech has for years wanted to replace it with a less labor costly machine, that is cheaper to make.

    The new equipment is designed by office nerds who do not actually know how to use them in the real world of production locating.

    The office nerds do not understand that the old M-810 had "feel". The swing of the needle, different for each machine as it ages, can be slow or fast depending on what you are over. The speaker was a large old style transistor radio speaker and it gave out 'volume' rather than just decibels like the new, tiny ones do. The old speaker allowed you to hear slight differences and even more importantly cause the body of the receiver to vibrate slightly. By the sound and feel you could tell almost as much as looking at the needle and digital read out. The office nerds only understand read outs, have no concept of feel. In addition the old M-810 was safer to operate as the feel allowed you to look around more while you walked. Lacking feel you have to keep your eyes on the read out and trip hazards and banging your head into obstructions becomes a problem.

    Give me an old M-810 updated for multiple frequencies and I could rule the world! (A build in EM finder would be ideal)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    I loved using the transmitter but the reciver was a little to inconsistent depending on temp outside and worrying about using it in the rain. I fell in love with using the 810 transmitter and RD8000 receiver, its like having 3 peices of equipment in one. When locaing 5 utilites on the same ticket its easier to just use one peice of locating equipment. And I still have yet to find a transmitter that is better at locating CATV then the 810, hell I tried out the old 850 and that lasted for about a day till I could not stand using it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    454
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    Love mine, even though the needle is wacky. There simply isn't anything else out there that can do what this machine can, and there never will be.

  5. #5
    Member DigScout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    www.digscout.com
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    We have several such people and the old M-810 is a first rate machine in the hands of a skilled locator.

    MetroTech has for years wanted to replace it with a less labor costly machine, that is cheaper to make.

    The new equipment is designed by office nerds who do not actually know how to use them in the real world of production locating.

    The office nerds do not understand that the old M-810 had "feel". The swing of the needle, different for each machine as it ages, can be slow or fast depending on what you are over. The speaker was a large old style transistor radio speaker and it gave out 'volume' rather than just decibels like the new, tiny ones do. The old speaker allowed you to hear slight differences and even more importantly cause the body of the receiver to vibrate slightly. By the sound and feel you could tell almost as much as looking at the needle and digital read out. The office nerds only understand read outs, have no concept of feel. In addition the old M-810 was safer to operate as the feel allowed you to look around more while you walked. Lacking feel you have to keep your eyes on the read out and trip hazards and banging your head into obstructions becomes a problem.

    Give me an old M-810 updated for multiple frequencies and I could rule the world! (A build in EM finder would be ideal)



    Mr. Carl Sagan of the cable vine,

    I am humbled by your insight, I thought I was the only one who noticed the vibrations of the classic m-810 receiver giving the feel of the volume beeping as you survey the area, which is pretty sweet. You are also spot on about the feel of the needle for each machine, that's why I never worried about not having a current measurement ability to identify bleed off.

    I also agree with you that a multiple frequency 810 would be the show stopper of the locating world. I personally would like to see a 65 khz or 33 khz m-810 which would allow the signal to go just a bit farther with just a bit less bleed off, and the 33 khz verison could go up to 10 watts of power due to federal mandates that any frequency broadcast for locating purposes over 40 khz is limited to 1 watt maximum.

    So which instrument is gracing your hands right now at the moment? I have read your disdain for most of the vivax equipment. But have you tried the Vivax 9800? It too has automatic gain control, passive, and 2 frequencies

    I am always looking forward to more of your posts, sir.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigScout View Post
    Mr. Carl Sagan of the cable vine,

    I am humbled by your insight, I thought I was the only one who noticed the vibrations of the classic m-810 receiver giving the feel of the volume beeping as you survey the area, which is pretty sweet. You are also spot on about the feel of the needle for each machine, that's why I never worried about not having a current measurement ability to identify bleed off.

    I also agree with you that a multiple frequency 810 would be the show stopper of the locating world. I personally would like to see a 65 khz or 33 khz m-810 which would allow the signal to go just a bit farther with just a bit less bleed off, and the 33 khz verison could go up to 10 watts of power due to federal mandates that any frequency broadcast for locating purposes over 40 khz is limited to 1 watt maximum.

    So which instrument is gracing your hands right now at the moment? I have read your disdain for most of the vivax equipment. But have you tried the Vivax 9800? It too has automatic gain control, passive, and 2 frequencies

    I am always looking forward to more of your posts, sir.
    I use what my employer provides, ViVax. Oddly enough we opened a new office out of state and I hear they purchased new ViVaxs for them. Given our experience with them I would be at a loss to explain this if it were true.

  7. #7
    Member PokerAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Capitol Region, NY
    Posts
    94
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    I love the 810. It is my 1st choice for general locating. If locating just one utility, here is my "A" list.
    Phone/CATV = Dynatel
    Electric = RD
    Gas = 810
    Water = 810
    Fiber = Subsite
    Honorable mention: Verifier
    Must have in toolbox: CAT
    As one of the oldest types of machines still in use, the 810 still can do stuff the others can't. I guess in some instances, analog is better than digital.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    19
    Years of Experience
    20+
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Anybody still using the old Metrotech 810?

    I've an 810 for 20 years and it is so versatile and easy to use in most situations, none of the new equipment I've tried can do what it does. The speed you can locate at with a good connection can't be had when you have to screw with gain controls using peak. I have a RD 400 too, which works very well when i get tough primaries or crappy phone locates. We do 4 ways in our area and on 90% of the locates, I never pull out the RD. I do have a C.A.T. as well PokerAdam, and I had to beg to get that a number of years ago..It's a wonderful tool for doing sweeps and confirming what you've located if in question. If the company took my 810, I'd probably quit locating. Damn thing is like an extension of my arm by now... Glad to see there are a few locators out there that don't need all the bells and whistles of this new equipment to get the job done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A 'Rook Media' Website