Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else hear this?

Default Anybody else hear this?

Heard from my sup, that a company (who shall remain nameless) but just purchased ELM. is looking for locators to travel to Illinois to help out for a week. That the area in question just had between 20-25 locators quit.

Now, I'm in an area where they just fired 2 locators, and had 4 more quit within the past 3 months. We've been behind ALL effing summer, we just started getting to the point of being caught up. All summer they have been bitching about "ON TIME " percentage and here we are with the percentage getting better they are going to send locators out of the area. Sounds a lot like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Anybody else hear this?

Here is the thread to the buyout. They didn't buy all of ELM just a couple states.

Years of Experience

rob peter to pay paul is the usual way to do business in our world anyway!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I didn't hear this but I heard they were offering a $2000 bonus to go work in OKCity for a month. Would have liked to have done that but I'm still working 60 hrs per week here.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

there's USIC in OK????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

lol, where do you think I'm at right now Yahoo? Our crew has it's area under control, but the OKC crews are in a bad way. Tenured tech's are dropping like flies...massive work load in a 4 and 5 way rear-easement environment...projects EVERYWHERE...tickets are piling up...damages are out of control...

Of course every tech. coming in here from out of state sees exactly WHY it's a nightmare...lol! If you can locate here, you can locate anywhere. Can't wait until I'm in Oregon and out of this mess ...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    lol, where do you think I'm at right now Yahoo? Our crew has it's area under control, but the OKC crews are in a bad way. Tenured tech's are dropping like flies...massive work load in a 4 and 5 way rear-easement environment...projects EVERYWHERE...tickets are piling up...damages are out of control...

Of course every tech. coming in here from out of state sees exactly WHY it's a nightmare...lol! If you can locate here, you can locate anywhere. Can't wait until I'm in Oregon and out of this mess ...

Your right, I went to OKC twice last year. I hate rear-easements.

Any other type of production or manufacturing job having 4 to 5 seperate contracts would be an awesome thing. Those contracts would make the company money, they would keep the employees busy all day and at the end of it you look back at what you did and hopefully you feel some sort of pride in your days work. Hopefully those contracts bring raises, maybe a new perk or two, new equipment to learn and use.

NOT THIS INDUSTRY................................

More contracts just means more to do in LESS TIME. Sure the company makes money, the locator never sees a dime. No raise, no new equipment. What you do see is pay cuts, more responsibility, more rules to follow. It's nonsense.

That $2,000 to go work somewhere for a month is PEANUTS guys. Trust me. Having worked as a subcontractor traveling around to different markets that two grand is what you should make in a WEEK, not in a month. Honestly, we were making anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500 a week, times that by 3 to 6 months and for 4 to 5 guys on a contract for say CLS as an example. Granted, we paid for hotels, drove our own vehicles and had our own locating equipment but, there is a built in freedom there by doing that.

My point with that statement is these companies HAVE THE MONEY to use subcontractors but use and treat you guys like crap. They cut your pay, they cut alot of things yet when their books start looking bad they will spare NO EXPENSE to make themselves look better in the end.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Any other type of production or manufacturing job having 4 to 5 seperate contracts would be an awesome thing. Those contracts would make the company money, they would keep the employees busy all day and at the end of it you look back at what you did and hopefully you feel some sort of pride in your days work. Hopefully those contracts bring raises, maybe a new perk or two, new equipment to learn and use.

More contracts just means more to do in LESS TIME. Sure the company makes money, the locator never sees a dime. No raise, no new equipment. What you do see is pay cuts, more responsibility, more rules to follow. It's nonsense.

That $2,000 to go work somewhere for a month is PEANUTS guys. Trust me. Having worked as a subcontractor traveling around to different markets that two grand is what you should make in a WEEK, not in a month. Honestly, we were making anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500 a week, times that by 3 to 6 months and for 4 to 5 guys on a contract for say CLS as an example. Granted, we paid for hotels, drove our own vehicles and had our own locating equipment but, there is a built in freedom there by doing that.

My point with that statement is these companies HAVE THE MONEY to use subcontractors but use and treat you guys like crap. They cut your pay, they cut alot of things yet when their books start looking bad they will spare NO EXPENSE to make themselves look better in the end.
    Again, words of wisdom from someone who's seen both sides of the equation, and lays it out in black and white.

Which again begs the question? Why do you guys put up with this BS?

Years of Experience

hey RD let me guess.......fences everywhere and ROW is right at the back by the fences....hate it with a passion!!!! Is it mostly projects going on and that why they are backed up???? you guys hang in there and make that money!!!! love the OT!!! would they let UQ hands get some of that??? hahhahahahhahhahaahhahha

Years of Experience

hey AUL , it's still 2000 more than I got now, ????? I agree we are worth more but some money is better than just a regular paycheck???
    Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    hey RD let me guess.......fences everywhere and ROW is right at the back by the fences....hate it with a passion!!!! Is it mostly projects going on and that why they are backed up???? you guys hang in there and make that money!!!! love the OT!!! would they let UQ hands get some of that??? hahhahahahhahhahaahhahha
    Try the FENCE (that's singular by the way, one fence between two lots), STRADDLES the easement, or 0-Lot-Line if you prefer...meaning the utilities criss-cross back and forth from one side to the other and services go EVERYWHERE and usually it's everything in the ground (phone, gas, power, CATV, and sewer) back there...locked gates, landscaped easements in the back yards, peds buried in shrubs or covered with decorative junk, dogs, pissy homeowners, basically if there is a locating Hell...OKC residential is it.

And no, it's large scale utility rebuild and road rebuild projects mixed with an exceptionally high volume of single or multiple address tickets...you name it, we got it here in buckets...

4 days left, 4 days left, 4 days left...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Try the FENCE (that's singular by the way, one fence between two lots), STRADDLES the easement, or 0-Lot-Line if you prefer...meaning the utilities criss-cross back and forth from one side to the other and services go EVERYWHERE and usually it's everything in the ground (phone, gas, power, CATV, and sewer) back there...locked gates, landscaped easements in the back yards, peds buried in shrubs or covered with decorative junk, dogs, pissy homeowners, basically if there is a locating Hell...OKC residential is it.

And no, it's large scale utility rebuild and road rebuild projects mixed with an exceptionally high volume of single or multiple address tickets...you name it, we got it here in buckets...

4 days left, 4 days left, 4 days left...
    Add to that one foot deep layer of leaves built up from several years. Trash and various bits of old junk, sheds built over the utilities. You name it and it is back there.

Going around these fences can make a 10 to 20 minute locate take an hour.

First thing to do with a rear easement is to check and the yards you have to go through, one locked gate nobody will open and deep six the ticket as no access. It is that or spend an hour and still not be able to complete the ticket. Depending on your local requirements leave a door hanger on the house with the offening fence or give the problem to the contractor who called in the ticket.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Add to that one foot deep layer of leaves built up from several years. Trash and various bits of old junk, sheds built over the utilities. You name it and it is back there.

Going around these fences can make a 10 to 20 minute locate take an hour.

First thing to do with a rear easement is to check and the yards you have to go through, one locked gate nobody will open and deep six the ticket as no access. It is that or spend an hour and still not be able to complete the ticket. Depending on your local requirements leave a door hanger on the house with the offening fence or give the problem to the contractor who called in the ticket.
    Amen, I've been known to spend 2 hours on a 3 address ticket, just from driving back and forth from one street to the next to access peds, meters, and services in yards that are back to back...back and forth...back and forth...ugh!

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

The utilities should have these fences taken out of the easement, it is also a safety hazard for any other workers not just us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast