Thread: anybody in dfw get a letter in the mail?

Years of Experience
    too many

Default anybody in dfw get a letter in the mail?

Just curious if anybodys gotten a letter in the mail recently and what are some thoughts on it?

Years of Experience

Default Re: anybody in dfw get a letter in the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    Just curious if anybodys gotten a letter in the mail recently and what are some thoughts on it?
    I got the letter, but I'm not sure what to think. I didn't know I had an uncle Muhammad in Nigeria, much less one that wants to send me $30 million bucks.All I have to do is send him my bank account number.Dunno.It might be fake.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I actually got a new twist on that Nigerian princess money order or money in the bank email scheme. I got an email from the Nigerian police stating my accounts or something cam up in their investigation and they wanted me to send them my information

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    I didn't receive one but I know of 2 people who did. If the IBEW is going to get anything going here in Texas they will need to be extremely persuasive and organized.

They will also need to be truthful and accurate. At least one of their claims in the letter doesn't pass muster, so to speak.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; June 23rd, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I didn't receive one but I know of 2 people who did. If the IBEW is going to get anything going here in Texas they will need to be extremely persuasive and organized.

They will also need to be truthful and accurate. At least one of their claims in the letter doesn't pass muster, so to speak.
    Just curious which line didn't pass muster?

The one about being forced to work without a lunch break.

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Evidently locators in Michigan got letters also.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I was curious on how well those union meetings went in Illinois and Wisconsin? I heard Minnesota got like a 65% sign up

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    The one about being forced to work without a lunch break.
    I do not want to be a sea lawyer, I think porloc would be much better source for this. If they are making you work through your lunch they must pay you. federal regulation require them to give you a lunch break after 6 hrs i think. It seems like 90% of the guys complaining here were that they were being forced to take a lunch. I myself and about 90% locator i know do not take a lunch. We mostly eat out lunch in spots as we are looking at prints or while driving to a locate

Years of Experience

I got that letter. It was very basic and unpersuasive. It did not make me want to speak to the local representative and I filed it in the trash.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

From what I've heard there's a "vote and then we'll tell you what use we'll be to you" approach here and that isn't flying with me at all.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What you need to do is Call the Union Rep and at least get a nice dinner out of the whole deal. He still won't answer questions, but if your lucky you will at least get a steak out of the deal.

I think the reason there isn't much of a campaign going on, is due to the fact that they would have limited responsibility to the locators.

Again, We are not a "Trade" by standard definition. We don't hold any certs, or valid schooling of any sorts. Because of this, we will be wanted by the union for our dues, but they won't have a long range plan for us, which would include placement if we were ever let go for anything including termination of contract by our company.

Maybe some garlic and herb roasted potatoes with the steak...

mke

Years of Experience

Mke .....we think so much alike...ha....get the most out of ANY kind of situation! LOL
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    What you need to do is Call the Union Rep and at least get a nice dinner out of the whole deal. He still won't answer questions, but if your lucky you will at least get a steak out of the deal.

I think the reason there isn't much of a campaign going on, is due to the fact that they would have limited responsibility to the locators.

Again, We are not a "Trade" by standard definition. We don't hold any certs, or valid schooling of any sorts. Because of this, we will be wanted by the union for our dues, but they won't have a long range plan for us, which would include placement if we were ever let go for anything including termination of contract by our company.

Maybe some garlic and herb roasted potatoes with the steak...

mke

I love steak too.LOL. My team call the union rep last week and had a meeting with him last week. He answer a lot of our questions and concerns. Everyone that came to the meeting sign the card. Even most of the people that did not show up sign up as well. We have about 80% on my team sign up. We had a great turn out. We all came to same thought, how much more BS can we take. If only one person rocks the USIC boat then he or she won't be employed very long with USIC. But if we as locators stand united not much USIC can do but listern. Also there is a locator school in Chicago that you can get cert. So, I guess this means we are a trade. Just saying. LOL