Thread: Another reason

Default Another reason

So people keep saying how good USIC how happy it is. Here is another reason I'll be hanging my reciver up. Just got word I will not be getting my "performance bonus" this time around. Because I am unable to work as much as other locators. Sounds fair, till you see I am a new single father of a 2 year old. I reside 2 hours from any family and do not have a baby sitter open after 5 or on weekends. So there goes working after 430pmthe and weekends. I still put in over time, run two areas and been damage free going on two years. What a lovely company we work for.

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Another reason

Check your state labor laws.

Already filled with the D.O.L. however because they switched to bonus insted of pay raises it skirts labor laws.

Quote Originally Posted by H.P.Locator View Post
    So people keep saying how good USIC how happy it is. Here is another reason I'll be hanging my reciver up. Just got word I will not be getting my "performance bonus" this time around. Because I am unable to work as much as other locators. Sounds fair, till you see I am a new single father of a 2 year old. I reside 2 hours from any family and do not have a baby sitter open after 5 or on weekends. So there goes working after 430pmthe and weekends. I still put in over time, run two areas and been damage free going on two years. What a lovely company we work for.
    Got to love usic. they will find any reason not to pay you.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by H.P.Locator View Post
    When you signed on did they give you paper, which usually you are required to sign a receipt for, saying that overtime was a requirement for the job?

If they did give you notice of OT being required they do not need to give you a bonus, plus they need not keep you hired. You are now unable to fulfill the overtime obligations of the job.

Each state has it's own labor laws but to my knowledge, in this case lack of direct knowledge, they are not required to exempt you from overtime just becasue you have not hired a babysitter that can care for your child during overtime hours. And I am aware that at our pay scales most of use cannot afford much in the way of child care.

From your post you are able to work some overtime and this is probably what is keeping you employed. Walk into any locate firm and tell them you will not work past 4:30 or weekends and very likely you will not get hired. I am no fan of USIC based on what I get from their employees but this is not just USIC, it is the entire industry.

I have heard it all from kids at home to pets needing care as to why locators say they must be exempted from overtime. It works like this, said employees have personal obligations outside of work and insist work not interfere. The employer has a business to run and cannot let the personal life of the employee interfere. In your case USIC has made a compromise and let you keep your job.

To be brutally honest get full time child care, find work in another industry or accept what you have.

Years of Experience

do what is best for you , your family , and the bill collectors ! IT is a tough choice but one must be made . hope you the best !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato