Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allocating locators in different areas according to their athletic abilities

Default Re: Allocating locators in different areas according to their athletic abilities

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    scap, in my experience rural routes usually required MORE walking/strenuous activity than a metro route. The vas majority of rural tickets I got were for ditch cleaning/road grading/utility installs. Most a minimum of a mile, usually more.

I could locate a mile of rural route in less than 30 minutes, most others who tried to run my route spent like 2 hours on the same type locate, and then bitched about slogging through ditches, weeds, etc.

Each area in the country is different, but as has been noted in this thread multiple times, it's mostly attitude and work ethic. Reguardless of health, "if you don't WANT to, you aint GONNA!"

We usually put our slackers in a medium suburb to urban non-commercial type area if possible. They dealt with the crappy, single address, fence builds/sewer repairs/telecomm fault/etc.. That way the movers and shakers could handle the rural and downtown areas without dealing with fences and dogs too much

Worked great! Damages were to a minimum, production rocked, and the GOOD locators were kept fat and happy with lots of OT without having to deal with the home-owner hassles that much.

I have to agree about the rural areas having longer tickets. Also what about all the no name roads crazey directions ect. Rural areas usually also have crappy plant that does not run all that great or will not tone down. Any how every area has its ups and downs and every area has it crappy locate spots. Hate to say it there is not a exact science to all this. Have fun racking your brain on where people should go. Because if you have never located in an area you really do not have a clue on what it is like or the head aches that go with it.

Default Re: Allocating locators in different areas according to their athletic abilities

I remember my Rural Days: 2 drops to a ranch house each over 1,000 ft, placed on different sides of the driveway, 2 Rottweilers -and over an hour to locate. Another time it took me 4 hrs to locate 1 ditch with 1 drop in it that ran for over a mile(I was ready to cut the drop myself!) The point being every area has it's pluses and minuses, easy and hard tickets. We all should be able to work in any area. Now if you are talking about giving us 'Old Farts' the easier areas, heavy on the aerial, I'm all for that!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

spray, I worked an area that was like that once. Seldom if EVER had any phone or electric in the ground. HATED IT! For 3 good reasons.

#1 - it was in the older part of the city, with small roads, lots of traffic, and half the homeowners didn't speak english and EVERYONE seemed to have a dang pit-bull.

#2 - we located gas as well, and it being older all the gas was crappy coroded steel that ran horribly and I'd end up spending 20 minutes on a single-addy just to locate main and services.

#3 - because I was so damn "bitchrod" (LOL!) I'd usually be 2 days into the areas tickets by Noon and guess who always got sent to work on projects or to clean up some super HP locate?

Ugh! Gimme a 3 mile ditch cleaning any day.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

hey scap........i'm fat and ugly so what area would you recommend me to work????? ha!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

LMAO Yahoo....
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

yahoo, I'm fat and old and already spoke for the aerial area!

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I remember my Rural Days: 2 drops to a ranch house each over 1,000 ft, placed on different sides of the driveway, 2 Rottweilers -and over an hour to locate. Another time it took me 4 hrs to locate 1 ditch with 1 drop in it that ran for over a mile(I was ready to cut the drop myself!) The point being every area has it's pluses and minuses, easy and hard tickets. We all should be able to work in any area. Now if you are talking about giving us 'Old Farts' the easier areas, heavy on the aerial, I'm all for that!
    last bit made me laugh !!! heavy on the aerial, heavy on the drivetime!!! Yea!

yeah...I located in a real rural part of Louisiana once, for about two and a half weeks..St Francisville. What I hated most, is how out there people rarely put numbers on their addresses. And, in St Francisville, you only have to locate telephone...All the cox is aerial
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    hey scap........i'm fat and ugly so what area would you recommend me to work????? ha!!!!!
    dude, im not skinny.

my girlfriend ****in tells me i have manboobs
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

it's all good for you dude.......they have some aerial area for ya in Spray's area!!!!! hahahhahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Ya'll keep your cotton-picking hands off my aerial tickets! I found them and I'm going to keep them

Solution? - Shitcan and/or don't hire fatbodys.

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    You have 3 cities and 11 guys.

City A being the largest, City B being a moderately sized city, and city C being a rural, spread out area that has alot of drivetime.

City A (massive city)has 6 guys.

City B (city one-sixth the size of city A)has 4 guys.

City C (rural, spread out 80% drivetime city) has 1 guy.

-----------------

City A- Average locator gets 25-40 new tickets a day, along with multiple ongoing roadjobs for each techn. (20% drivetime, 80% in the field)

City B-Average locator gets 10-15-20 new tickets a day. Rare roadjobs(50-60% drivetime, 40% in the field)

City C-Average locator gets 8-15 tickets a day. 80% drivetime. Less walking needed than compared to any other city.(80% + drivetime, 20% in the field)

-----------------

You said a fat slob would be a bad idea to put in an area with high drivetime, but I think a fat slob would be a good candidate for City C.

Let's use a candidate that is overweight, but has decent/good/whatever knowledge of locating.

Because a fat guy who weighs 300-350lbs is going to have a hell of a time keeping up with roadwork in City A, along with a ton of crazy different tickets of all types involving all kinds of mobility, lots of walking whereas in city B the fat guy would get more done due to having to expend less energy throughout the day, allowing him to focus more on getting stuff taken care of in City B, or preferably City C...

Years of Experience

From what I have seen the senior locator always gets screwed unless he is sucking balls

Years of Experience
    na

I just need to add one more thing...

thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12