Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All about your boots!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: All about your boots!

Getting the paint off you boots, that has plagued me. Especialy if at the end of the day when it is too late or I am too tired to clean them off. Paint left on the boots for a couple of days is hard to get off and sometimes impossible.

I tried scrubbing with the boot polish but this works only if you do it right when you get home. Once the paint sets for a day or two this method is difficult to use.

I tried saddle soap to some better effect using first a terry cloth washcloth and then a soft tooth brush. Still difficult and not very satisfactory if the paint has set.

What I found works best is in the automotive section of the store. Armor All Leather wipes for cleaning upholstery. On boots that set for three days it took most of the paint of easily. A little elbow grease added to it got the rest of the paint. One wipe cleaned two 6" leather boots. The wipe was still clean enough and moist enough for me to stuff it back into the canister for the next time.

The wipes also remove polish so they need a fresh coat but so far this works the best.

I have not tried Mink Oil, has anybody tried that?

Years of Experience

Goof off and a stiff bristle brush. I do it once a week. You will have to condition the leather after as it strips the leather dry. I use snowseal to recondition mine. Have been wearing the same pair of boots for 9 months now, still no cracks. The soles will wear out before the leather.

Years of Experience

The SuperLite Yard Mid-Boot - Black/Orange

You won't find a better boot for taking care of the really dirty work! 100% waterproof, features AIR-LINER™ and patented AIR-TUNNEL360°™ to provide a comfort range of 85°F to sub-freezing temperatures.

Weather-proof, insulating one-piece shell. Soft air transfer lining, cooling, comfort. Patented air circulating cooling system. Hands free removal.

Foot shaped heel, arch support and toe box. Patented foot support for all day comfort. Rugged, durable, dual density rubber outsole. Black/Orange.

Men's sizes: 5 - 14
    Women's sizes: 6 - 15

Your price - $69.50.

----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ihoby View Post
    Goof off and a stiff bristle brush. I do it once a week. You will have to condition the leather after as it strips the leather dry. I use snowseal to recondition mine. Have been wearing the same pair of boots for 9 months now, still no cracks. The soles will wear out before the leather.
    Seriously, you clean the paint off your boots? I just leave it, extra water proofing. I've worn Vasque Clarion hiking boots for 15 years with Thorlo padded, wool blend socks. Expensive, but worth it. The boots last about a year but you can wear them out of the box with no break in necessary and they are true to size. The socks? Wool and synthetic keeps your feet dry and can be worn wet without rubbing blisters. I wear them year round, 10 below to 100 above. Best thing I ever did for my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Inspired, I'm not sure about the other guys, but you will get booted off (no pun intended) work sites if you don't have boots on. Also, I have worn sneakers from time to time, but with as much walking you do you will wear through the soles super quick. Then finally, the right boots will keep your feet toasty and dry during the rainy season. Tennis shoes not so much.

mke
    Well, you guys were right. The sneakers got some attention recently. Too bad. When its 118 and the ground around here gets really hot, the sneakers breath. I've got some old WalMart specials I can use till I can find something nice, but there is definately a reason why I don't wear them much.

Gonna need a hard hat now too. Oh Joy!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gogo49 View Post
    I've worn Vasque Clarion hiking boots for 15 years with Thorlo padded, wool blend socks. Expensive, but worth it.
    Hey gogo - I've always used the same style of boot as the Vasque Clarion backpacking boots. The Vasque Clarion's are a little pricey for a shoe made using Chinese slave labor. Are there any backpacking boots with the glued, molded tread made elsewhere? As soon as I wear out my Red Wing backpacking boots next year (also made using Chinese slave labor) I'll give the Vasque Clarions a try.

I like the concept of the "American made" Thorlo socks. I'm ordering some of these now. Thanks for your input!

----------------------------------------------------------

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I dig me the Thorlo socks...... they make up for having crappy boots.

Inspired, Sounds like you had a surprise meeting with a safety officer? Were you warned about safety glasses as well?

mke

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

inspired you could try hot weather military boots. ALtama makes some. they have leather bottoms and the upper is canvas. You scotguard them and they should be pretty well waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Hey gogo - I've always used the same style of boot as the Vasque Clarion backpacking boots. The Vasque Clarion's are a little pricey for a shoe made using Chinese slave labor. Are there any backpacking boots with the glued, molded tread made elsewhere? As soon as I wear out my Red Wing backpacking boots next year (also made using Chinese slave labor) I'll give the Vasque Clarions a try.

I like the concept of the "American made" Thorlo socks. I'm ordering some of these now. Thanks for your input!

----------------------------------------------------------
    Don't know about the slave labor, haven't done any research on that. I try to buy US made products whenever I can, like Polartec fleece. The Clarions have gotten pricey. I'm about to try out a pair of Wasatch GTX cause of the shorter ankle height. I'll let you know how I like them.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gogo49 View Post
    Don't know about the slave labor, haven't done any research on that. I try to buy US made products whenever I can, like Polartec fleece. The Clarions have gotten pricey.
    "Prominent U.S. companies are paying slave wages or no wages to workers manufacturing products in China to be sold in the United States. Wal-Mart is paying Chinese workers 2 cents an hour to make Kathie Lee Gifford handbags. Chinese footwear workers, who are making Nike, Reebok, and other shoes, get paid 3% of what U.S. workers make.

The American people have a right to know the truth about U.S. companies using Chinese slave labor. The American people have a right to know that for a few cents an hour, 16 year-old Chinese girls, working for a U.S. shoe company, are applying toxic glue with their bare hands! They have a right to know that working 14-hour days, seven days a week, while surrounded by barred windows and barbed wire fence, is the norm for Chinese slave laborers."

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Harry Wu was officially branded a “troublemaker” for criticizing communist rule. “Troublemakers” wear blue uniforms and shaved heads in Chinese prison camps.

For 19 years (1960-1979) Harry Wu had been one of the estimated 50 million blue uniformed “troublemakers” who worked in the camps under totally inhumane conditions. Some of these “troublemakers” literally worked themselves to death.

The forced labor turns out for the American market such items as rubber-soled shoes, boots, kitchenware, toys, tools, men’s and women’s clothing, and sporting goods.

After escaping to California in 1985, Wu began a tireless campaign to publicize human rights abuses within the Chinese prison system, including the harvesting of organs from prisoners, and profiteering from forced labor supported by World Bank subsidies and U.S. importing of prison-made goods."
    Troublemaker by Hongda Harry Wu - Released in Paperback - Dec 13, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hey gogo - I could keep on going, but you get the point. 99.9% of Americans are unaware these hellish abuses by our Communist Chinese “friend” and major supplier of manufactured goods continue to this day! I agree with U.S. Representative Jan Schakowsky, "No country should be rewarded for exploiting its people."

Years of Experience
    enough

Have the mickey mouse boots out now, wool socks and my feet stay warm and dry in the snow and the teen temps during the day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123