Thread: Alaska? What company is up there currently?

Years of Experience

Default Alaska? What company is up there currently?

What if I was tired of all this Arizona warmness? Who is running the locates in Alaska?

(Don't tell my boss)

Bob

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Alaska? What company is up there currently?

I think somebody has been watching "Gold Rush".

Most of the Utilities do their own locates. But, there are 3 main contract locating companies up there.

TempTel - 907-277-8367
    Hallmark Excavation and Underground - 907-569-6133
    Alaska Locates - 907-952-7953
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Great question by boblocates and great answer by Steve (TheCableVine). I have always wondered the answer to this question and was surprised to find out that there were at least 3 companies up there already doing this. Hell some states in the lower 48 only have 2 or 3 companies in the entire state actually doing work.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post
    Great question by boblocates and great answer by Steve (TheCableVine). I have always wondered the answer to this question and was surprised to find out that there were at least 3 companies up there already doing this. Hell some states in the lower 48 only have 2 or 3 companies in the entire state actually doing work.
    Some utilities and governments (city, county, state) do their own locates in house.

Log into their websites and check their job openings announcements. Most first post the job opening internally and if no currently employed work can get the job they go outside the firm. As an experienced locator you have an edge over the green recruit who has only worked at McDonald's. Often these jobs are posted as entry level and offer training, with your previous experience you may advance quickly.

These jobs are out there, I have seen them.

Years of Experience

I almost forgot. A couple of years ago Florida Power and Light was looking for an experienced locator who also had ground probing radar experience. The job was to start up a 5 or 6 man team and the first hired was in line to run the operation. A management job paid salary. Company vehicle, $50,000 a year (Florida has no state income tax).

I had everything but the GPR experience or I would have been down there in Land of Lakes setting up an interview. 40 minutes from the Atlantic beaches and housing costs are lower than here.

These jobs are out there you just have to look for them, they do not post on locatorjobs.com.

Years of Experience
    30+

Hey PL,

Was that job by chance for Florida Gas and Electric? If so, I had that job for 89 days. It was for the SUE/Vac Manager. They wanted me to sell their services to contractors. At the time there were engineering firm established that were doing full SUE work. Needless to say I am not a salesman and was let go on the 89th day.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by boblocates View Post
    What if I was tired of all this Arizona warmness? Who is running the locates in Alaska?
    (Don't tell my boss)
    Bob
    I dont know which would get to me first. 23 hour days in the summer or 23 hour nights in the winter. I'd hate to move there and have it turn into The Shining

Years of Experience

ProfessionalLocator that is really insightful wisdom as always. I love reading your posts. I agree with you completely on some utility companies posting an openining publically only after trying to find someone internally.

I have sent unsolicated resumes to town or county utility companies (usually water) and have gotten positive responses on how impressive they thought my resume was but admitted that the internal engineering staff takes care of locating.

However, I did find that there was one town in the northeast that contracted out thier municipal water lines for locating to a land surveying company and the contract was actually paid BY THE HOUR. For all tickets. Imagine that...

I hear you on the GPR experience. Never used one either, I am 100% electromagnetism too. The Ground Penetrating Radar units are sooo expensive too, easily $20,000 or so.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Hey PL,

Was that job by chance for Florida Gas and Electric? If so, I had that job for 89 days. It was for the SUE/Vac Manager. They wanted me to sell their services to contractors. At the time there were engineering firm established that were doing full SUE work. Needless to say I am not a salesman and was let go on the 89th day.
    Yes, that they based it on their ability to take in outside work amazes me. I was in that area about two years ago and checked out some local SUE firms. Most of them have almost no work as construction has slowed so much. The ones that do have work are the larger ones that have a rating from the state DOT and looks like they have their own GPR.

How did they do with that idea?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post
    ProfessionalLocator that is really insightful wisdom as always. I love reading your posts. I agree with you completely on some utility companies posting an openining publically only after trying to find someone internally.

I have sent unsolicated resumes to town or county utility companies (usually water) and have gotten positive responses on how impressive they thought my resume was but admitted that the internal engineering staff takes care of locating.

However, I did find that there was one town in the northeast that contracted out thier municipal water lines for locating to a land surveying company and the contract was actually paid BY THE HOUR. For all tickets. Imagine that...

I hear you on the GPR experience. Never used one either, I am 100% electromagnetism too. The Ground Penetrating Radar units are sooo expensive too, easily $20,000 or so.
    GPR units are like computers, the next generation comes out every 18 to 24 months. The ones I last saw used could not locate a 1' plastic gas line unless it was less than three feet deep. I understand the new ones have greater capacity.

I heard that prices were coming down but I have not bothered to confirm that.

Years of Experience

The GPR units also take a really long time to actually move about and survey the area. The results have to be interpreted on the screen and sometimes even taken onto a desktop computer and analyzed with computer software. These are some of the things I hear about GPR units.

I laughed when I read your plastic gas line comment. That seems to be the biggest problem for private locators, plastic gas lines with no tracer wire. And some of these GPR units can't even find them. Pretty sad
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???