Thread: Airlines flying with minimum fuel onboard!

Years of Experience

Default Airlines flying with minimum fuel onboard!

Airlines are putting the cost of fuel above the cost of lives.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Airline pilots warned the Federal Aviation Administration they are being forced to fly with dangerously low fuel reserves.

"A combination of minimum fuel flight planning with unrealistic flight plans combine to create hazardous fuel situations," says one 737 pilot.

Pilots from nearly every commercial airline warned that management eager to decrease the weight of its planes are having aircraft carry the minimum amount of fuel allowed. The lighter the aircraft, the less fuel it burns.

All of the airlines said the captain has the final say as to how much fuel goes on board, but some captains said they often have to argue for more fuel.

The FAA mandates that all flights have at least a 45-minute reserve of fuel.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Airlines flying with minimum fuel onboard!

THAT ..........is scarry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that is why i don't fly!!!! looks like i'lll be in the states the rest of my life!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Now.. wing.. why would you go posting something like that? My hubby flys all the time.. and is scheduled to leave in just over a week... I worry enough about him in the JOB he has and just the regular amount of flying he does... didn't need THAT stress too!!

Don't worry Gypsy, 45 minutes of extra fuel is more than enough to find another airport should an emergency arise.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    Now.. wing.. why would you go posting something like that? My hubby flys all the time.. and is scheduled to leave in just over a week... I worry enough about him in the JOB he has and just the regular amount of flying he does... didn't need THAT stress too!!
    Neither do I! I'm booked on a flight this Tuesday to Los Angeles for the NASCAR race at California Speedway. 3 hours in the air and then sucking fumes over California will be a nerve recking situation for me too! I'm the one 6 miles high!

i think something needs to be clarified. I worked weight and balance for the airlines for almost 20 years before 9/11 did me in. A flight has to have 45 minutes reserve fuel ontop of the regular destination fuel plus enough fuel to make his alternate airport if his primary airport is under weather or something. Pilots have a min max on fuel for their trip. above is the min. they always want to carry more for various reasons. the min is dictated by the FAA. Not the airline. The airline can ask the pilot to carry the min but never less than the min. Planes are not going to fall out of the sky due to lack of fuel.