Thread: Advise on a good EMS marker locating unit

Years of Experience

Default Advise on a good EMS marker locating unit

Gday All, i am currently running RD8000 PDLB gear and need an EMS locator for an upcoming fibre locate in rural Western Australia, been looking at a second hand RD400 PDL2 units (as these have marker EMS available) on flea bay. Be great if i could get some feed back on these units or idea's on alternate machines i.e. Marker mate, Rycom 8890. Marker balls depth 1.2 M (4 foot)
    Thank you!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Advise on a good EMS marker locating unit

We use to use a 3M Dynatel Marker locator, but we switched to the Vivax Vloc Pro-ML. I like the Vivax because you can locate a line while in the Marker locator mode. I haven't had any issues using it. However, it isn't the most affordable one out there.

3M Dynatel APC 1264 EMS II Telephone Scotchmark Marker Locator with Probe | eBay

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    We use to use a 3M Dynatel Marker locator, but we switched to the Vivax Vloc Pro-ML. I like the Vivax because you can locate a line while in the Marker locator mode. I haven't had any issues using it. However, it isn't the most affordable one out there.

3M Dynatel APC 1264 EMS II Telephone Scotchmark Marker Locator with Probe | eBay
    mke
    I am not a fan of the vivax due to it's lack of durability. I do have to say it's marker finder mode works very well.

I know our firm just bought some Utilex that have no marker finder. Wondering what they are going to give us to find markers. Witching sticks? ?

Years of Experience

Thanks for the feed back fella's. The Dynatel 1264 EMS II is probably all i need. Never used one of these before, looks like they only have a single 101.4 (communications frequency)

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Thanks for the feed back fella's. The Dynatel 1264 EMS II is probably all i need. Never used one of these before, looks like they only have a single 101.4 (communications frequency)
    Ours worked fine, we just needed more frequencies....the local phone tech still uses theirs to find buried splices

You can't beat the price

Years of Experience

Hi All,

I would recommend either a 3M(TM) Dynatel(TM) 1420 or 7420 if you are just locating EMS markers and path markers. If you need to locate cable/pipe while searching for markers than you could use a 2250M-iD, 2550-iD or 7550. I have other solutions to resolve other locate needs so let me know how I can help.

Gary Morris 3M(TM) Tech Service
    gamorris@mmm.com
    1-800-200-0265 Option 2