• 4 Post By alsoran17
  • 3 Post By daman1
  • 3 Post By Wingfoot
  • 4 Post By CableAvoidanceTool
  • 1 Post By paintitnow

Thread: Advantage of having a area Locator

Years of Experience

Default Advantage of having a area Locator

What do you see as the advantage of having a area locator. Someone assigned to work one area everyday.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Advantage of having a area Locator

Usually the last to be RIF'd for the season!
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

KNOWLEDGE!! The utiilty companies don't always make it easy on the locator and the prints are never 100% correct. Example, damage from many years ago, 3 phase coming out of a cabinet that was place with power cable going south. The 3 phase then joined the old lines where it came down a pole and doubled back on itself close enough it was not easily detectable. if you did a sweep where it should turn, you pick it up because that is where it goes back to. Most would thing the line would come up and turn to go into the subdivision. Knowing this can prevent future damages. Just one example. There are many more.
    daman1, Wingfoot, UULC and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by alsoran17 View Post
    KNOWLEDGE!! The utiilty companies don't always make it easy on the locator and the prints are never 100% correct. Example, damage from many years ago, 3 phase coming out of a cabinet that was place with power cable going south. The 3 phase then joined the old lines where it came down a pole and doubled back on itself close enough it was not easily detectable. if you did a sweep where it should turn, you pick it up because that is where it goes back to. Most would thing the line would come up and turn to go into the subdivision. Knowing this can prevent future damages. Just one example. There are many more.
    You can get to know area contractors personally and work with them to make both your jobs easier. You already know what's buried in your area before you even get there. Even stuff that aren't on the prints or are deceptive. I HATE working outside my assigned area. I lose efficiency and don't get as much done because I have to stick to the basics of locating. Every manhole is the first time. Have to verify everything. No hotsticks in an unfamiliar area. No unbonded peds from the lazy ashole who normally has the area. Keep me in my home stomping ground, I can get twice as much done in half the time and I don't leave hoping I didn't miss something. Keeps the damage ratio looking good.
    Wingfoot, UULC and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Default Advantage of having an area Locator

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alsoran17 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    What do you see as the advantage of having an area locator? Someone assigned to work one area everyday.
    KNOWLEDGE!! The utility companies don't always make it easy on the locator and the prints are never 100% correct.
    You can get to know area contractors personally and work with them to make both your jobs easier. You already know what's buried in your area before you even get there. Even stuff that aren't on the prints or are deceptive. Keep me in my home stomping ground, I can get twice as much done in half the time and I don't leave hoping I didn't miss something. Keeps the damage ratio looking good.
    Greetings retired! I have 15 years experience in the same postage-stamp-sized area. I am responsible for no less than 7 separate utilities on every ticket completed with some tickets of which I have up to 14 utility responsibilities!

As daman1 & alsoran17 has stated, my knowledge of my area runs DEEP for the reasons they stated. I know my area like the back of my hand. I know the size, depth, and unusual paths of the vast majority of all 14 of my utility responsibilities. I know this because I use my prints and I hook up to the utilities on each ticket. Storm and sanitary sewers are the only utilities I will straight-line. I have AT&T corporate & sub-contract engineers calling in Design Tickets for meets asking me to demystify (clarify) their cluttered prints.

Contrary to my training, my jobs consist of reading the entire ticket upon arrival, getting out of my truck to locate all the utility conflicts by memory, then using my prints to see if I missed something as I close out the ticket. I'll go textbook when I'm hooked up with a noob.

I also make it a point to know the general location of utilities I have no responsibility to protect. I have the Google locators/sups and four other non-customer locators on speed-dial. I call them if I see their un-marked plant in jeopardy of being cut. I have their back and they have mine. I have the time to drop a dime but I lack the time for their down line (locating to repair their cut lines).

I know what utilities in my area are dead or alive. My confidence level is so high, I have the balls since 2004 to tell ALL my excavators, "Dig with confidence! If you cut something that I haven't marked, don't stop! KEEP ON DIGGIN!' Whatever you cut will be dead!" What the Hell, I'm good for a couple "red-faced," low-profile, at-faults a year............ just sayin.'

Anyway retired, thanks for the question! Luv Ya Man!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; July 1st, 2017 at 01:26 AM.
    yahoo, daman1 and UULC like this.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

A locator in the same area every day can amass a huge amount of knowledge. For example, you might know that a hospital is fed on the western side of the building for a utility. So if the excavator calls work in on the eastern side, you already know it's going to be a clear of conflict.

That kind of optimization, compiled over a few years, leads to tremendous efficiency and reduced damages.
    daman1, Wingfoot, yahoo and 1 others like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Higher profits for the locate company.
    Not just fewer damages reducing payout for damages.

The locator has done the site before and does not have to spend the time going over every inch of the job area. Some jobs can take an hour or more just finding what is where. Next time on site the time and effort need not be repeated. This results in higher productivity and higher profits.

Years of Experience

the advantage is only for the company that is stuffing their pockets with money made for write-offs.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    What do you see as the advantage of having a area locator. Someone assigned to work one area everyday.
    I once rolled up on a primary damage and the com-ed crew was on site and saw them opening up a transformer. Standard practice to cut the power off. I told them do not bother there it will not shut off the power. They are like why? I stated that is a phase "A" tub and the hit primary is "B". Second phase of subdivision and com-ed didn't have their prints updated. I pointed out the transformer needed and gave the address where the other transformer was in back of. They didn't believe me at first until I returned from my truck with an asbuilt print. 3 years in an area with charter paper prints that were 5 years old. 8 brand new subdivisions and not one charter damage, even a drop. Left the area and a trunk damage and a fiber damage right away. They got out of the fiber because when the coupled the fiber it ran next to the other fiber. They went to a splice on a pole. I knew they were not together and coupling would not get them right. You had to use an alligator clip with a piercer to get it right. My friend has been in his area for almost a decade in a half and can tell you where almost every plant is in his area.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

in the end....you will get what you pay for ...and more.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato