Thread: AdvanceMans connundrum

Default AdvanceMans connundrum

Okay, you all know i'm a rockstar..my buddy who I play guitar with ran something by me the other day. We've only been playing together since february, and I get long with him fairly well. He does some kind of work for a property management company that I don't reallly know much about. The other day he asked me how much money I was making monthly. I told him, not great but not terrible considering. He showed me an invoice from last month for 10 gs. Much more than I make. He just moved into a house, always seems to have lots of money to by music equipment.

He asked if I wanted to be his partner, which would entail me getting a business license, working for him, and driving around the city taking care of his guys. I wondered how I could go into his industry knowng nothing to making lots and being a boss. He told me not to worry about it. I have some time to decide this.

Usually I'm not interested but he got me thinking. I'm always on the road, I work hard sort of, I'm not unhappy with what I make(took a pay cut from the plow crew), but it could be a little better. Having the energy to do karate or jam after 12 hours on the road takes a lot of motivation. I have so little time. Even if I becom a full time splicer, it wouldn't be much different.

Being a karate guy, I'm not scared of anyone, but this utility industry is all I know. It's taken me awhile to get here which isn't so bad. I have advancemama to think of. What would keep me from taking a chance is fear.

Default Re: AdvanceMans connundrum

I think you should just go for it. If anything starts to get to ruff just pull out some bruce lee shit and kick its ass you bad ass rocking, street fighting S.O.B

Years of Experience

Go for it!

You've got a chance to move ahead take it.

Don't let fear hold you back. You, after all, are immune to fear.

Fear is gay.

Hey, there is a property management forum, right?

kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    Hey, there is a property management forum, right?
    kidding...
    Should we not warn them ?

@advance.. if you think this guy isnt tryin to hose you or something.. and it seems like a legit situation.. well, ya know what they say about opportunity knocking.

I have a bud that used to work union as a pipefitter.. good money, but sporadic work. He took a chance at running his own valve repair company.. did ok.. then folded it down and took an even bigger chance as project manager for a big job down south.. then a bigger job etc. Then he took a really big chance and jumped into the tarsands. He now turns an embarrasing amount of money in a company in Calgary. He was actually gonna hire me for 100k doing timeline stuff on the pc there. I just couldnt let go of my 20+ yrs seniority here.. too scared.. thats alot of job security.

Who knows what this new job might spin off into.

Worst case would be what ? Go back to locates ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience
    16 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by locate_this_will_ya View Post
    I think you should just go for it. If anything starts to get to ruff just pull out some bruce lee shit and kick its ass you bad ass rocking, street fighting S.O.B
    i say just use some Chris Farley (beverly hills ninja) moves on all of them .. your butt buddy and all his buddies, take their money and their women, then pick up your guitar and start playing "kung fu fighting" i just get this thought of you and your street fighting skills as Farley in that movie.

Years of Experience

my input is this and my opinion only.....stay put with what you know best and enjoy...in the end that will keep advancemama happy!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Thank you, even you ltwya, and ESPECIALLY Yahoo.

If this guy is a long time buddy of yours, you may want to give it some serious thought. He is going hire you with no experience, or knowledge of the industry, make you other people's boss, and pay you decent scratch? Sounds like a good opportunity to lose a friend when things go south to me.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    If this guy is a long time buddy of yours, you may want to give it some serious thought. He is going hire you with no experience, or knowledge of the industry, make you other people's boss, and pay you decent scratch? Sounds like a good opportunity to lose a friend when things go south to me.
    In all seriousness, I gotta agree with GPG here. It may be a lot to get used to at first, but sounds like a solid opportunity. Don't live with regret for what might of been.