Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Abandoned Utilities

  1. #1
    Moderator Goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,308
    Years of Experience
    18
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Abandoned Utilities

    I was wondering if everyone else gets as frustrated as I do with abandoned utilities. It seems like I waste hours a week going to crews who have exposed "unmarked" utilities just to find out they are abandoned. A homeowner digging up their back yard can have 3-5 abandoned drops running through their back yard.

    I just wish all these utility companies would use their head and put everything in conduit. Especially the tv and phone drops to houses. They replace these things all the time. If they'd just run the drops in conduit to the house then the drop would last longer and if it went bad they could just pull a new one through the conduit. I've always wondered why they don't do whole subdivisions this way.

  2. #2
    Senior Member TBONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a bottle of Wild Turkey 101
    Posts
    550
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Yep really makes it hard if you like to use inductive locators I usually end up marking the dead ones anyway

  3. #3
    Senior Member beyond help's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    somewhere on my hand
    Posts
    1,380
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    I wonder why mismarks occur
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

  4. #4
    Moderator Goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,308
    Years of Experience
    18
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    Yep really makes it hard if you like to use inductive locators I usually end up marking the dead ones anyway
    Abandoned utilities are the whole reason I do not trust induction at all. I'm not saying I don't use induction but after seeing how much abandoned utilities are in the ground it makes it hard to trust induction.

  5. #5
    Senior Member underground quester's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    We are fortunate here. All of the utility companies we locate for have purchased the same software. They upload additions, deletions to their facilities about once a month or so.

    Having said that, of course there is the 2 year delay for new facilities and delays in each company depending on how short staffed they are.

    In any event, we are asked to NOT locate the abandoned utilities but to advise the contractor they exist and approximately where they MIGHT exist.

    I run in to this more on MAINS, especially distribution gas, more so than service drops. Of course, abandoned H.P. gas is a pain in the butt and no way to locate them, so, we just show a rough alignment on our drawings.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wyoming (Its a state!)
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    it kind of makes your day when you get called to a damage on a project with a substantial amount of cables in it to find out they hit an abandoned line though.... better than them hitting the live one

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Time Warner seems to be the biggest offender of putting more stuff in the ground. Every April-May it's the same thing: call in more locates than even their own crews can bury in 3 days. T-W winds up having to contract their work out to try and keep up. Some homeowners will bury their own drop because they're getting tired of waiting.
    Last edited by Mr Blunderbuss; May 20th, 2008 at 07:13 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,908
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default

    i am at a site where a damage has occured.........the excavator and his family are friends of my family.... 20 x 30 ft hole 12 feet deep...............7 cables for then.....bellsouth......now att.. only two were live the locater a guy named kyle had the two marks correct on top of the two that was live......miracle!!! well the contractor after seeing what was exposed decided to bore under all this 15 ft deep and hit another cable a 300pr that was live brand new not on plats yet........... some one tell me ........who can win in this game we play everyday????? i was mad and it was not even our fault!!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member underground quester's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    i am at a site where a damage has occured.........the excavator and his family are friends of my family.... 20 x 30 ft hole 12 feet deep...............7 cables for then.....bellsouth......now att.. only two were live the locater a guy named kyle had the two marks correct on top of the two that was live......miracle!!! well the contractor after seeing what was exposed decided to bore under all this 15 ft deep and hit another cable a 300pr that was live brand new not on plats yet........... some one tell me ........who can win in this game we play everyday????? i was mad and it was not even our fault!!!!


    The other day in a new area I was locating, I came across at situation where a contractor had laid primary power OVER TOP an 8.5" P.E. gas Main. I thought I was going nuts until they potholed it and saw that my receiver was right!!!! I did NOT expect to find the primary power however ON TOP rather than underneath a gas main. How FREEKIN STUPID, couldn't they change the alignment slightly to bury it deeper (our power here is usually 5 - 6 feet deep, gas 3 - 4 feet deep).

  10. #10
    Moderator Goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,308
    Years of Experience
    18
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blunderbuss View Post
    Time Warner seems to be the biggest offender of putting more stuff in the ground. Every April-May it's the same thing: call in more locates than even their own crews can bury in 3 days. T-W winds up having to contract their work out to try and keep up. Some homeowners will bury their own drop because they're getting tired of waiting.
    Same thing here. Tons of abandoned tv feeders. This picture here was a fake emergency I got. I was mad that the caller called in an one hour emergency when it was just to put in sewer/water laterals. When I talked to the homeowner he said he was waiting for a month for the laterals so they had tons of time to call in a standard locate ticket. Because they made me mad I hooked up to the two abandoned tv lines just to make them hand dig for more lines.

  11. #11
    Senior Member TBONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a bottle of Wild Turkey 101
    Posts
    550
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    In certian cases I will mark the dead ones just so I dont get called out to tell them they are dead when they cut or find them..... Plastic flags GB OMG I would raise some hell about them what a pain to deal with ..sure do love my wire staff flags.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sprayandpray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    94

    Default

    I don't know about your areas but AT&T actually wants us to locate their abandoned drops because they might get the customer back someday. is was my reply!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !


    It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !


    The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ****
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    they are starting to put catv line in conduit at the obx in nc makes it alot better with less abandoned cables but i feel your pain with abandoned power lines

  14. #14
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Same thing here. Tons of abandoned tv feeders. This picture here was a fake emergency I got. I was mad that the caller called in an one hour emergency when it was just to put in sewer/water laterals. When I talked to the homeowner he said he was waiting for a month for the laterals so they had tons of time to call in a standard locate ticket. Because they made me mad I hooked up to the two abandoned tv lines just to make them hand dig for more lines.
    That looks like one of my locates...

    Can you throw those plastic stem flags or what???

    Thats frikin ridiculous that there being used...

  15. #15
    Moderator Goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,308
    Years of Experience
    18
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    No one uses metal flags out here anymore. I don't know why but I sure do miss them. Yeah you can throw them but they won't stick at all. I really miss the days of throwing flags. I really think throwing flags is an art in itselt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •