Thread: 60Hz-60P

Years of Experience

Default 60Hz-60P

If I remember correctly 60Hz came out before the 60P and was used to locate primary Elect. My question today is on the new machines that have both 60Hz and 60P which one is designed to Identify the primary cable and which one is used to identify secondary lines? This is in reference to the Subsite 950 R/T. The reason that it is brought up is that I can't get an exact answer from anyone. (Sad)

Years of Experience

Default Re: 60Hz-60P

Boss I don't know but I will guess. I think 60p may be for 3 phase power lines. The receiver picks up a different harmonic for 3phase distribution. Now I hope somebody can bail me out

Years of Experience

The older 950 we have has both and 60P is for buried primary and 60 is for secondary (meter to house) but sometimes they will both locate either one. The new locator we use now has 60 and 180. Salesman said Subsite was changing to what it should be called. Now the 60 is for primary and the 180 is for secondary power.

Years of Experience

I've been told that 60hz is what all power should carry including cable and telco which have power running through them. and the other 60p or power 60, depending on the brand of locator, uses harmonics of the 60 hz spectrum on power lines in order to be less likely to show a better signal on any line that is not strictly power.

BTW, you can still find things they say you shouldn't using 60p or power 60.

CYA- Use for confirmation or starting points only or you may end up looking at an at fault damage for marking a larger telco or cable line, or at times a pipe that is a ground for improperly grounded to electric systems in homes.
    I've had h2o services put out more 60 cycle than the primary 6 feet away.