Default Re: 3D GPR Software

Quote Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
    Some serious coin in that setup. Wow.
    Yes, well into seven figures.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

hey GWJ_CAS, Doesn't alot of the ability of the equipment lie in the antenna being used and soil conditions and finally size of utility?

This is just coming from good ole un-educated me, but I thought that the frequency of the antenna being used is what directly corresponds to the limitations of the equipment to pick up utilities. For Example... you have a 400Mhz antenna that can optimally scan to a depth of 12' depending on the conditions however the effective range do to soil conditions would be 4'-5'. Dosn't that antenna pick up smaller conduits then the smaller MHZ antennas? So if the 400mhz antenna can get most conduits down to about 3/4" and lower, wouldn't that make the 270MHZ antennas range for conduits stop at a larger size of conduit? 1'' to 2'' conduits?

I only ask, cause I had to come behind a GPR crew out of Seattle a few months back and they were scanning inside of a building and they were not able to find several 4" floor drains as well as some conduits. I unfortunately didn't ask what size of antenna they were using.

I only bring these questions up, to understand more. I was training with the GSSI GPR for about 4months before I left that company and As much as I liked it, I felt that it was 9 iron in the bag or utility golf bag. It would definately be used, but not as freequently as the putter or the 7 Iron. Sorry for the poor golf analogy but you under stand.

Mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    hey GWJ_CAS, Doesn't alot of the ability of the equipment lie in the antenna being used and soil conditions and finally size of utility?

This is just coming from good ole un-educated me, but I thought that the frequency of the antenna being used is what directly corresponds to the limitations of the equipment to pick up utilities. For Example... you have a 400Mhz antenna that can optimally scan to a depth of 12' depending on the conditions however the effective range do to soil conditions would be 4'-5'. Dosn't that antenna pick up smaller conduits then the smaller MHZ antennas? So if the 400mhz antenna can get most conduits down to about 3/4" and lower, wouldn't that make the 270MHZ antennas range for conduits stop at a larger size of conduit? 1'' to 2'' conduits?

I only ask, cause I had to come behind a GPR crew out of Seattle a few months back and they were scanning inside of a building and they were not able to find several 4" floor drains as well as some conduits. I unfortunately didn't ask what size of antenna they were using.

I only bring these questions up, to understand more. I was training with the GSSI GPR for about 4months before I left that company and As much as I liked it, I felt that it was 9 iron in the bag or utility golf bag. It would definately be used, but not as freequently as the putter or the 7 Iron. Sorry for the poor golf analogy but you under stand.

Mke
    You are right on target...applicability of GPR is directly related to antenna frequency AND soil characteristics (soil conductivity), and the target(s) being searched for...the higher the frequency is the more shallow the effective penetration is, but the higher the resolution will be on the shallow targets and the more chance of being able to resolve a small target.

This is not to say that low(er) frequency antennas do not "see" the small targets, its is just that their signal wavelength may not provide the resolution necessary to discern the small diameter object. For instance, our 3D system has a center frequency @ 200MHz, but we are often able to discern small targets in the upper 5 feet of scan depth. Those targets become much more difficult to resolve beyond that range, however, in our case multiple antennas are hitting the targets and our software provides us with very robust resolution abilities. We also have 3D systems with 400MHz antennas when we are focusing on shallow facilities or need higher resolution on specific shallow features like graves.

Your figures for typical resolution capabilities are pretty accurate across an average of most field conditions, but it also has a lot to do with training and experience, knowing how the type of facility is normally constructed, knowing or having a good idea of what you are looking for and having the right system and software/firmware installed.

Your analogy of a club in the bag is a good one. We always say it is a "Tool in the Toolbox" and you need to know how and when to use it for it to be effective.

Years of Experience

Sounds alot like the Sonar Systems i used while in the Navy.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I loved reading your analysis about problems of "seeing" the plastic pipe in the different kinds of soil. Really, really good insight thank you again.

How fast can you actually survey an area? How quick can you walk with that GPR? Can you walk at a fast pace like 4 MPH or do you have to go very, very slow? Can you put paint marks down immediately as you scan the ground or do you have to interpret the results carefully first and put the paint marks down after some thought?

I must say that you are the biggest expert on GPR I have ever seen on these forums before. Please stick around as long as you can and enlighten us some more.

I see that you are in south florida. Ever do any private locates on Disney World?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12