Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 24" Water Main Break-Riverview, Fl

Years of Experience
    30+

Default 24" Water Main Break-Riverview, Fl

The following are pictures I took while out there for 10 hrs.

The Jack & Bore contractor is a well known company. I have worked with him before. But on this project the bore came up 2' in the 60'-80' where the bore pit was. The bore pits were well pointed and trench boxed. Somehow the bore auger and casing dug into the 24" ductile iron pipe. Due to the bore pits being a conduit for the water to escape, US-301 a 6 lane divided median with 10" of asphalt lifted approximately 8" and the water dissolved the lime rock road base. There was approximatelydscf0002.jpgdscf0013.jpgdscf0014.jpgdscf0019.jpgdscf0020.jpgdscf0025.jpgdscf0012.jpgdscf0011.jpgdscf0001.jpgdscf0003.jpgdscf0004.jpgdscf0005.jpgdscf0006.jpgdscf0008.jpgdscf0009.jpgdscf0010.jpgdscf0026.jpg 100' of the road had to be pulled up and replaced.

Video - SkyFOX above US 301 water main break - FOX 13 News
    WFLA.com Videos - WFLA News Channel 8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0015.jpg   dscf0016.jpg   dscf0017.jpg  
    daman1, Mark and TheCableVine like this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: 24" Water Main Break-Riverview, Fl

The photo of the damaged pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1394434_523389144427020_278249404_n.jpg  

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    The following are pictures I took while out there for 10 hrs.

The Jack & Bore contractor is a well known company. I have worked with him before. But on this project the bore came up 2' in the 60'-80' where the bore pit was. The bore pits were well pointed and trench boxed. Somehow the bore auger and casing dug into the 24" ductile iron pipe. Due to the bore pits being a conduit for the water to escape, US-301 a 6 lane divided median with 10" of asphalt lifted approximately 8" and the water dissolved the lime rock road base. There was approximatelyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	1243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0013.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1253

100' of the road had to be pulled up and replaced.

Video - SkyFOX above US 301 water main break - FOX 13 News
    WFLA.com Videos - WFLA News Channel 8
    Dam I'd hate to get the bill for that. Makes me glad I got out of the boring business.
    Last edited by daman1; August 2nd, 2014 at 10:51 PM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Dam I'd hate to get the bill for that. Makes me glad I got out of the boring business.
    Not saying you didn't know what you were doing Daman, but nowdays you can control where a bore goes. There isn't ANY excuse for a bore gone bad like that in todays standards.

I can shoot a 1000 foot bore with any directional boring rig (as I have personally done more than once) and be within an inch for accuracy on the way there as far as depth is concerned, even when drilling under a river.I would bet my paycheck on any bore I have ever made with a DCI Eclipse locator. I do this every day and I am always within an inch + or -. I do not calibrate my bore head/sonde housing every day because there is no need to. The only time I calibrate my head is when I buy a new sonde or buy a new sonde housing. If I cross a water main that is 6 foot deep, and I am pulling back a ten inch reamer, I need/want to be at least 4 foot deep to guarantee I won't get into trouble. If I'm not sure and can't do that I open the road up and dig a pit to see the bore head come thru. Never had a problem with that method in the last 20+ years that I have been on a directional boring rig. I go to schooling every year to keep up with everything and take pride in the work I do. I measure the ph of my water when mixing mud, keep up on the latest greatest long chain polymers for those nasty clay conditions, short chain polymers for those nasty ass sandy conditions and attend international expos like the one down in Louisville last year that draws people from all over the world. And - I really like my job. It's a challenge and I want to be the best.

Just like those goofy guys that locate underground facilities... -
    Guys that get screwed when they are directional drilling are

1) In a hurry
    2)out of town cowboys (and bid a job dirt cheap)
    3)young cowboys looking to break a land speed record (inexperienced)
    4)guys that just don't take pride/don't care in their work
    5)guys getting in a hurry
    6) when people get in a hurry!!!

So yeah.... thats what I think.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Another problem is your directional bore is only accurat if your electrionic equipment is not out of wack. And yes, always test pit at least enough to see the bore head when crossing a utility.

Saw one bad damage when drill crew did not heed the warning of the locator. He was trying to bore dirctly over the 15KV electrc, lenghtwise! He was told fill there in the original trench had a lot of gravel and would have trouble keeping the bore head under control. Did it anyway and the shot down the length of the cable went okay. But when pulling the bore out with the new utility tied to it the weight of the bore head / pipe caused it to sink down through the gravel into the electic cable. Damged several hundred feet of cable which all had to be replaced

Years of Experience
    30+

This was a Jack & Bore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails th.jpg  

Years of Experience

Hey Frank, was it marked? Properly?

Years of Experience
    30+

It was marked correctly. I saw the as-builts which were the as-built that were given to the engineering company ended up being 100% correct. It leaves 3 factors which would be the root cause,

(1) the J & B contractor failed to level the tracks and the casing was pushed upwards
    (2) the J & B hit something to cause it to push upward and into the bottom of the pipe.
    (3) the engineering firm had the incorrect elevations on the construction prints.

The locate was done. This was a planned operation for a while and all were involved. The developer, prime contractor, the J & B contractor, FDOT, County Water & Sewer along with County Growth Mgmt.

I am sure this is going to be about $250,000 damage. The amount of lost business for the bushiness along that stretch of 301 is going to be astronomical.
    Last edited by UULC; August 3rd, 2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not saying you didn't know what you were doing Daman, but nowdays you can control where a bore goes. There isn't ANY excuse for a bore gone bad like that in todays standards.

It's a challenge and I want to be the best.

Just like those goofy guys that locate underground facilities... -
    Guys that get screwed when they are directional drilling are

1) In a hurry
    2)out of town cowboys (and bid a job dirt cheap)
    3)young cowboys looking to break a land speed record (inexperienced)
    4)guys that just don't take pride/don't care in their work
    5)guys getting in a hurry
    6) when people get in a hurry!!!

So yeah.... thats what I think.
    Seems like today, there's so many bore rigs out there, if you don't bid so low, you won't find any work. Most of the rig operators I know are good at what they do, they are just in the same boat locators are in when it comes to production. The utility companies ride their cases once the lowest bidder gets the contract. Many face penalties if they exceed the time frame and will lose money on a job. Doesn't matter the congestion or ground conditions.

That's why they get so frustrated with us locators for not keeping up. The time it takes us to paint every utility in an easement is money out of their pocket. Especially the 4 and 5 way locates USIC does. The bore rigs today are amazingly fast and accurate. Having to mark everything in a long stretch of easement that'll be done in a day or two is tough, I don't care how good you are. I don't ever want to do more than 1 or 2 way locates again.

You can still make good money with a bore rig but the start up costs are high and the liabilities are very high. I have a lot of respect for them and what they do. Just wish they had more for us.
    Mark likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

<snip> Most of the rig operators I know are good at what they do, <snip>

In my area many of the bore crews do not speak English. One person running the crew speaks well enough to be understood to only having a few words of English. They just follow our paint marks as they are not given site drawings because they cannot read them.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    In my area many of the bore crews do not speak English. One person running the crew speaks well enough to be understood to only having a few words of English. They just follow our paint marks as they are not given site drawings because they cannot read them.
    Most of the bore crews in my area are good old boys from Illinois and Tennessee. Pretty good guys until they realize you're a locator. Now the guys burying phone and cable drops are a different story...... I showed up to a damage and, although I couldn't understand a thing he said, I could see in his eyes what he was thinking.......

Voy a cortar esa línea y ser dos estados de distancia con mi dinero y un nuevo nombre antes de poder demostrar que era yo. Americanos estúpidos!!! Te amo Barack.
    Last edited by daman1; August 3rd, 2014 at 07:35 PM.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

Voy a cortar esa línea y ser dos estados de distancia con mi dinero y un nuevo nombre antes de poder demostrar que era yo. Americanos estúpidos!!! Te amo Barack.
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sad, but true. Where exactly are you at daman?

Years of Experience
    30+

You are sooo right.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sad, but true. Where exactly are you at daman?
    The next state to the east/southeast of you.

Where the hell ya been buddy? Geezus, say hi and chat for a bit once in a while, Jayc. Don't know if ur dead or what. You been workin for obama in crook county?

Years of Experience

Can you please translate this shit? I know everyone got a good laugh but I don't understand Polish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast