Thread: 18.5 hr day

Default 18.5 hr day

Well... I have finally gotten rested up enough to tell y'all about my busy week so far. ....

I started on-call on Friday... slept all night! Then about 9:30 am ... &*it hit the fan... between 9:30 Saturday morning & Midnight Sunday.. I put 800 miles on my truck... then from midnight to midnight Monday.. I had an 18.5 hour day! 3 hours of sleep doesn't go very far for this old locator anymore...(I thought it would be an "easy" week).... funny thing about it is ... if I wasn't so exhausted .. I thrive on emergency call outs! Something about that adrenaline boost ya get when the call comes in!

Years of Experience

Default Re: 18.5 hr day

Oh the joys of on call. If you can push through it and keep working your daytime hours each day you'll be rewarded with a really nice check. It's amazing how many hours you can get in an on-call week if you think about the overtime.

Well good luck with the call-outs and hopefully you get some sleep.

We solvedmost of that problem by going to an on-call schedule that doesn't require a full week at a time.1 person does Mon,another on Tuesday,another on Wed, another on Thursday and then another person for Fri, Sat, and Sunday. This schedule has really worked well over the last several years. You still might be called out all night but you can get some rest the following night.
    Gypsy, be careful. Sleep deprivation is a killer - literally.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Our oncall is just a huge area. I cover for 8 people when I am oncall for a week. Of course that means I only have to be oncall one week out of 8 instead of every other week like it was two years ago.

Years of Experience

i can say definitely i've never worked that long ..........straight
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

i haven't even been on call yet. but I am not looking forward to it. respect to gypsygirl for putting in that kind of work...that's dedication for you.

at least the check will be nice, even if ya feet hurt like hell, right?

Hey girl! Now I know where you've been! I was wondering! Glad you got some rest! Next time, call me and I'll fly out to help!
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeatherneck View Post
    Hey girl! Now I know where you've been! I was wondering! Glad you got some rest! Next time, call me and I'll fly out to help!
    Oh.... now ya got me all happy that I would have some help .. and then you put in that little "icon"... with "no way!" Come on... where's your sense of ADVENTURE! I will be 85+ hrs by tomorrow night...then it is....

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I thought my 13 hour day today was something to brag about... I can't hold a candle to that.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    Oh.... now ya got me all happy that I would have some help .. and then you put in that little "icon"... with "no way!" Come on... where's your sense of ADVENTURE! I will be 85+ hrs by tomorrow night...then it is....

Wow Gypsy 18.5 hours that's a day!!

Have not done days like that since I worked for the railway. Used to recover product belonging to customers at derailments. Had many, many days like that when I was younger. Couldn't do it today very well though.

I have had a week from hades myself over 60 hrs so far and have to work tomorrow (Saturday). I talked with one young nube yesterday and he was all upset that the mandatory Saturday was going to interfere with his camping weekend with friends.
    I just had one thing to say to him " Suck it up buttercup" Sheesh!!

Anyway, funny thing happened this week, came home Thursday night and my sweetie had supper all made. I took it to the couch (cause I was going to multitask - watch TV and eat at the same time!!) BUT I FELL ASLEEP.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

That is a longggg day for sure. Usually that can happen by us in the wintertime during a cold snap when all the water mains and steel gas mains start leaking. But during the summer, wow. That's a new kind of suck.

Well I finished the week off with 85.75 hrs... Not my record, but dang close! It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the heat & 97% humidity all week.. I know yahoo... that is nothing new for you... but dang it ... it was miserable... and to add the long hours on top of it... I'm just getting too old for this... lol... I can laugh now... it's over... but what a week it was! LL... I would compare it to childbirth... at the time, never again... but when its over... after a bit... sure.. why not!

Hey I can relate! I'm glad its over for you! I know how absolutely miserable it can be. I located in VA in July while pregnant! Talk about a gripey woman!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think I was capable of being that mean! Contractors avoided me like the plague!
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army