Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting Tires At the Track for NASCAR

Default Re: Mounting Tires At the Track for NASCAR

Is true that NASCAR is going green? IT's everywhere in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by handfore View Post
    Is true that NASCAR is going green? IT's everywhere in the news.
    I'm sorry, but hearing the whine of electric engines going around a racetrack wouldn't have the same attraction!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by handfore View Post
    Is true that NASCAR is going green?
    Hey handfore - Welcome to the'Vine! Glad to have you on board!

Yes - NASCAR® is going green. NASCAR® is moving to ethanol fuel E-85 mix for 2011 and has enacted the usage of only steel wheel weights since the Spring 2010 Texas race.

California has recently outlawed the use of lead weights on all new tire purchases for California race tracks for 2010 and beyond. NASCAR wanted to know if the new steel wheel weights would hold up on a 200 mph race car. The 2010 Daytona 500 was on the steel wheel weights as a test and the Spring Fontana California 500 had to be balanced with the steel weights. Teams have always marked the location and size of wheel weights on the tires next to the bead to monitor missing weights during practice, qualifying and racing. The wheels were inspected by Goodyear after each race for missing steel wheel weights. NO steel weights came off while on these tracks. Not one!

The lead weights have been notorious for not staying on wheels on a 200 mph race car. Back in 2008, a lead weight on the inside of the RF wheel came off on the #48 car and was found stuck in the radiator! Jimmy was leading the race at the time and had a good chance to win it. Man, was Jimmy's crew chief pissed!

Due to the style of the retaining clips holding the weight, the steel weights are a little bit tougher to hammer on the wheels than lead weights. But, the steel weights do not fall off! Crew chiefs love the switch to steel weights. Time will tell on the E-85 fuel.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Re: Mounting Tires At the Track for NASCAR driving experience Okay 4Q2 - You are correct........... I got sloppy on my post. There is a BIG difference between the two; wheel vs rim.

I, more than anyone else, should know better than make a mistake like that. Before I started swinging a RD, I was an outside salesman who sold Goodyear over-the-road truck tires to fleets and owner-operators. I sold many tire/wheel assemblies and many tire/rim assemblies.

Thanks 4Q2 for the clarity!

------------------------------------------------------------

Mounted Truck Tire on a 10-Hole Budd Wheel Assembly

Mounted Truck Tire on an Open-Center Dayton Style Rim Assembly

An OZ™ 3-Piece Wheel

so much info thanks a ton for sharing, im going to phx this year and im gonna be bar king for the night

I couldn't find a better place to post this but I found a coupon for 20% of the nascar gift at the Dale jarret racing adventure, they have an email coupon if you give them an email.

What method is used to balance Sprint Cup wheels/tires? Are they spin balanced, if so at what speed? are they bubble balanced?

Going green did not infer electric motors. They are using ethanol blend fuel. This fuel will be pumped from trucks at the tracks and not from underground tanks as before. They will be better able to control the moisture in the fuel this way as lack of moisture in the ethanol is critical to performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I'm sorry, but hearing the whine of electric engines going around a racetrack wouldn't have the same attraction!

Quote Originally Posted by o1racing03 View Post
    Going green did not infer electric motors. They are using ethanol blend fuel. This fuel will be pumped from trucks at the tracks and not from underground tanks as before. They will be better able to control the moisture in the fuel this way as lack of moisture in the ethanol is critical to performance.
    Zing!

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by o1racing03 View Post
    What method is used to balance Sprint Cup wheels/tires? Are they spin balanced, if so at what speed? are they bubble balanced?
    Hey racer - Welcome to the'Vine! Glad to have you on board!

Three years ago I met "Awesome Bill From Dawsonville" in the Nationwide garage at the Kansas Speedway. Bill Elliot is the fastest man in NASCAR - almost 213 mph; a record that most likely will never be beaten............ If everybody is as nice in Dawsonville as "Million Dollar Bill," then you are blessed to live where you do.

I started working the NASCAR races with Goodyear in 1997. My cherry was popped at the Texas Motor Speedway in Ft Worth. I was the team-leader with 2 helpers stuffing the inner liners in the race tires. Back in the day, Texas was a 5,200 tire race that the 3 of us stuffed in 3 and a half days! My airplane ride home was a short flight back then because I was snoring in my seat before lift-off Monday morning from DFW.

The race tires come to all the high-banked tracks now already stuffed with the liners. Now, I've done pretty much all the different job positions at the tracks. The work is hard at all the job positions. The wheel balancing is the most fun for me. I like the camaraderie with my peers at the wheel balancers. At a double-header weekend (Saturday & Sunday races) we have 16 tire machines and 8 wheel balancers. A triple-header weekend (Friday, Saturday & Sunday races) we have up to 20 tire mounting machines with up to 10 wheel balancing machines.

We have been using Coats brand wheel balancers. Coats makes a "special" wheel balancer for racing applications; the Coats Racer Series. The Racer Series is in it's 3rd Generation of spin balancers that kinda, sorta resemble this:

The Racer Series is a 120-volt plug-in vs a 220 volt civilian piece. 220 volt plug-ins for up to 10 wheel balancers is just not feasible for the gypsy lifestyle of racing. It's a challenge already to juice the 8 to 10 120-volt wheel balancers without tripping circuit breakers. These spin-balancers just bounce and shake in the double-drop trailers as they are being transported from track to track. The electronics take a beating but seem to hold up well.

The tire/wheel assemblies are spun to 55 mph on the balancers and has been proven to be smooth enough to handle 200 mph. The balancer accounts for the dynamic (up & down) and lateral (side-to-side) out-of-balance as does any spin balancer. No assembly will be shipped if it takes more than 3 ounces on either side of the wheel or more than 5 ounces total. Most assemblies take 2 ounces total or less. Not bad for a 73 pound assembly consisting of 2 tires and a wheel. Especially when the wheels constantly rub fenders and walls on the race track.

The wheel weights used are no larger than 1 ounce. Heavier wheel weights do not stay attached at 200 mph. All the assemblies are balanced with steel wheel weights only. The steel wheel weights never fall off the wheels. NEVER! For some strange reason, the only exception is if the wheel weights are applied touching each other, they will get spit off the wheel.

Also the Racer Series does not have the flip-lid safety hood. The balancers will handle almost 600 tires each during the weekend. The safety hood would just get in the way.

Every morning while the equipment is cold and before we get started slamming tires, all the balancers get re-calibrated. This is a practice that I wish all tire shops did more often. Nothings worse than buying new tires and the darn things have a shimmy/vibration at 60 mph and up because the tire shop hasn't re-calibrated their balancer(s) in months or even years.............

The only race tires that get a bubble balance using tape-on weights are the nitromethane classes of the dragsters 'n funnys, the alcohol classes of the dragsters 'n funnys and the 500 cubic inch motor Pro Stock classes. The reason is because there is no spin balancer that can handle the monster rear tires or the small diameter hub for the spindle mount front wheels. The bubble balance has been proven more than adequate for the 330 mph passes of the nitromethane dragsters.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; February 9th, 2011 at 05:23 AM.

Years of Experience

A new season has arrived to fuel my passion for wide-open-throttle, open exhaust competition. Already this year I have worked the NASCAR race at Phoenix, another at Las Vegas and a 2-night winged-sprint car World of Outlaw dirt race show at Vegas. Next week I'll be in Los Angeles, California to work the NASCAR race that's held in the desert at Fontana. I Luv it!

This weekend I'll be watching the NASCAR race in Bristol, Tennessee from my La-Z-Boy at home. A couple years ago my mother was at my house while I was watching the spring Bristol race on TV. After about 45 minutes into the race, my mother asked, "How much longer will this race last?" I said, "It's 500 laps long and depending on the crashes, couple more hours, maybe." I can still see the look on my mother's face when she said, "Who, in their right mind, would drive as hard as they can in a 1/2 mile circle. And do it 500 times?" Needless to say, she doesn't get it.................

Bristol Motor Speedway

--------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

2011 NASCAR notes: Goodyear Changes Bristol Tires

By Reid Spencer, Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service

After seeing excessive right-side wear all day Friday, tire supplier Goodyear is bringing in between 1,200 and 1,500 new tires for this weekend’s Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup races. The new tires have the same proven compound used in several Cup and Nationwide races last year.

In practice sessions for both series at the .533-mile short track, teams had issues with the tires provided for Saturday's Scotts EZ Seed 300 Nationwide race and Sunday's Jeff Byrd 500 Cup race.

Goodyear brought a new right-side tire compound to Bristol that featured slight compound and construction changes, expecting to give cars more grip. But the track failed to "rubber in," a situation where the worn rubber begins to adhere to the track and provides both grip and improved tire wear.

Goodyear product manager Rick Heinrich said that's when the problems began,

"One of the things we see here at Bristol is we see early wear," Heinrich said. "Generally, the track will darken, the track will rubber in, the wear improves. And we didn't see that normal improvement."

Instead, the rubber turned into a powder and gathered high in the corners. In addition, the right side tire rubber was wearing down to the cords in less than 30 laps, according to Denny Hamlin. Goodyear NASCAR project manager Rick Campbell isn't sure exactly what contributed to the issues.

The replacement tires Goodyear is providing for the Nationwide cars are the same tires used at the track last August. The Cup tires, which have been used at Kansas and Fontana, Calif., are the same compound as that used at Bristol last August, but with different construction specifications.

"The Nationwide Series will qualify (Saturday) on the same tires they're on today (Friday)," NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said. "They'll change those tires during a competition yellow at roughly Lap 25 of the Nationwide race."

The tires were not scheduled to arrive until Saturday—not in time for Friday's Cup qualifying session. Pemberton said Cup teams each would receive a set of new right-side tires for Saturday's practice session.

"With the lack of improvement (in tire wear), it was obvious that we needed to go in there and react," Goodyear product manager Rick Heinrich said. "Week in and week out, everywhere we go we have a backup plan, and it seemed prudent in this particular situation that we needed to go in that direction."

Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, California

I didn't work at the 2011 spring Bristol NASCAR race. I did work the 2011 spring Fontana, California race the following week that had some of these guys in attendence. What an epic nightmare for these fellas that worked the Bristol race!

Friday afternoon at Bristol, the track's jet dryers kicked up heavy clouds of rubber powder while prepping the track after Friday's practice session. The rubber was supposed to stick to the track and it didn't.

Once the decision was made to HOT freight 1,500 new right-side tires that had the rubber compound that would stick to the Bristol track, the boyz had to stage 1,200 scuffed tires from the teams that were used in Friday's practice. These mounted assemblies were dismounted Friday afternoon; the tire's safety liners were pulled out of these used tires and the stripped wheels staged for the new tires.

The 1,500 new tires arrived about 7 pm Friday night at the Bristol track and the boyz started stuffing these tires with inner liners and mounting tires on the 1,200 waiting wheels! At 1 am Saturday morning the 1,200th new right-side tire was mounted, balanced and stacked; ready for the weekend's competition! At the end of the day Friday, the boys mounted 1,700 new tires before the day's practice runs, dismounted/pulled the liners out of 1,200 hot used tires after practice, then stuffed with liners and mounted 1,200 new tires in the dark after 7 pm!

After being at the track working for 18 hours straight Friday, the boyz got back to the hotel @ 2 am Saturday. There was a 5 am wake-up call for the trip back to race track for Saturday's work! The boyz were not happy, but too tired to be pissed.........

My little buddy (an AWESOME tire mounter who probably weighs 140 lbs soaking wet) was the only "blue shirt" in the hotel elevator Saturday night with 5 bloated Goodyear "white shirts." The Goodyear engineers was razing my little buddy (all in fun) about Friday; "Builds character" and "Good exercise." My little buddy keep his mouth shut while waiting for his floor. The elevator door opened, my buddy stepped out, turned to face the white shirts and said, "I'd rather be FAT, than work another day like that!" The elevator door then closed while the "white shirts" started laughing......................... SNAP!

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Years of Experience

My part-time employer, Carroll Shelby Enterprises, uses 3 Ford 15 passenger vans to transport workers to and from the race track. It was 6 am Friday. The van I was riding in was full and one of the workers let out a SBD.......

It wasn't me (I'll always claim mine). Before the aroma reached me, I heard a low, monotone voice at the back of the van, "I love the smell of shit first thing in the morning.................." I guess I was the only one who recognized the humor of the event.

-------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Hey you all - It's offically the first day of Spring and I'm in the Los Angeles area, with my extended family, to work at the Fontana, California 2 mile super-speedway for this coming Sunday's NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup races. It's nice to be around my buddies again amongst the palm trees and enjoying the sunny weather that's hovering in the 80s! No rain is predicted here until next week! Woo Hoo!

Today we set up the 16 tire mounting machines and 8 electronic spin balancing machines getting ready to mount up a liitle more than 4,000 tires within the next three days. Hammer time starts @ 7 a.m. Thursday. This is my second event I've worked this year (I worked the Phoenix NASCAR race earlier this year) and I will be in sprayandpray's metropolis in three weeks for the NASCAR weekend there! Bone Daddy's, Twin Peaks, the Stockyards and Saltgrass, here I come!

I didn't know you had already discovered Twin Peaks. I was going to give you a heads-up about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12