Thread: Kyle gone at Petty Enterprises

Years of Experience

Default Kyle gone at Petty Enterprises

"If you want to know what's going down at Petty Enterprises these days, don't ask Kyle Petty." So says Kyle Petty, son of Richard and grandson of Lee, who founded the race organization in Level Cross, N.C., in 1949.

Richard Petty is part owner of Petty Enterprises, which currently is in merger discussions with Gillett Evernham Motorsports. Petty Enterprises entered into a partnership agreement with outside investment firm Boston Ventures this past May.

"I don't work for Petty Enterprises," Kyle Petty said Monday. "When they sold to Boston Ventures, Bobby [Labonte] was set to drive the first car and Chad [McCumbee] was set to drive the second car. That let me know there wasn't a place for me going into '09. My deal runs out at the end of 2008. It's their company and they can do what they want."

When Boston Ventures came on board, Richard Petty said he would still be heavily involved in the day-to-day operation of Petty Enterprises. "It's my father's company," Kyle said. "So it's between Richard Petty and Boston Ventures. I was not privy to any of the meetings. Once David Zucker took over as CEO, I was out of the loop."

So for now, Kyle Petty is just another Cup driver without a ride for 2009. He's looking at possibly not suiting up to drive any Cup races for the first time since 1979 -- when he ran five races for Petty Enterprises at the age of 18, and Richard won the last of his seven championships. "I'm going to do my six TV races for Turner [Sports]," Kyle said. "I'm still working with SPEED, doing [the] Tradin' Paint [show]. I'm going to run the 24-hour [Rolex] race at Daytona. That may be my only race of the year."(in part from NASCAR.com)(12-9-2008)

Default Re: Kyle gone at Petty Enterprises

He wasn't exactly a great driver, but I do think he's a rather decent analyst.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

He wasn't exactly a great driver, but I do think he's a rather decent analyst. I think his dad is pist at him, so he kicked him out.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Petty, GEM merger talks entering final negotiations

Source confirms details to be announced next week
    By Raygan Swan and David Caraviello
    January 1, 2009
    12:36 AM EST

As the 2008 calendar year neared its conclusion, Petty Enterprises and Gillett Evernham Motorsports inched ever closer to completing a merger that would mean a new home for NASCAR's iconic No. 43 car, and spell the end for a standalone Petty operation that's been a part of the sport since its founding 60 years ago.

Petty Enterprises is expected to lay off the majority of the 39 employees remaining at its shop in Mooresville, N.C.