Thread: Dodge engine size???????Wingfoot?????

Years of Experience

Default Dodge engine size???????Wingfoot?????

I traded a dirt chassis for a 94 dodge 1500 and know knothing about the engine size. I was wondering if anyone knew a quick way to find this out. Will need this for oil changes, plugs, and I want to put headers on it to piss off the neighbors. I think that they came out with a 318 or 360 for this vehicle. Thanks!
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dodge engine size???????Wingfoot?????

I copied this off of craigs list:

Im selling a 94 dodge 1500. The truck is dark blue but the paint is chipping.

5.2L 318 V8 engine
    5 speed
    regular cab
    long box
    4x4
    Hope that helps

Wiki says either a 5.2L (220hp) or 5.9L(230hp) for the 94 dodge lineup (assuming its not a diesel of course..)

Another site says the 8th character in the vin code should be a Y for the 5.2L or a Z for the 5.9L engine.

Hope that helps..
    Last edited by Dave72; October 1st, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

The Mopar small block V8s, any year, 273 cubic inches (ci), 318 ci, 340 ci, 360 ci & the 408 ci will interchange external parts. This includes heads (in pairs), distributors, starters, timing chains/gears, oil pans, crankshafts, water pumps, intake/exhaust manifolds, headers, cams, cam lifters, valve shafts and rocker arms. The only differences is head combustion chamber size, intake/exhaust valve diameters, bore and stroke (crankshaft throws, rod lengths & piston diameter/wrist pin settings).

There are "stroker kits" available to punch a 273 ci Mopar small block V8 all the way to a 471 ci THUMPER! Whoo Hoo!

Check it out.

Years of Experience

Thanks to all for the info. It helped alot. Bought headers and a new exhaust kit tonight so the neighbors should love me. Wing, I would love to stroke this up to a 471 or better, but this is my hunting truck and a bed full of decoys doesn't need that much hp, although it would be fun! Thanks again.

Bubba

Years of Experience

iirc, 413 ci is about as big as you can go and keep it reliable. Got a friend in NY that has one in his w350 AND did one in his wife's Grand Cherokee! lol He LOVES the motor, but says you do have to keep an eye on it. Takes a bit more maint then a stock motor. (duh!)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
    iirc, 413 ci is about as big as you can go and keep it reliable. Got a friend in NY that has one in his w350 AND did one in his wife's Grand Cherokee! lol He LOVES the motor, but says you do have to keep an eye on it. Takes a bit more maintenance then a stock motor. (duh!)
    phoenix - I kinda sorta agree. Keeping the compression ratio down to around 9.50 to 1 on any stroked motor and maintenance will be kept to a minimum. Higher compression levels over this just adds FUN to any motor rebuild..... with a major sacrifice to long term reliability. Not to mention the higher cost of 91 octane gas pump premium fuel or high octane racing fuel.

Bubba - I'm already excited about your rebuild! Headers will improve the performance more than any other other add ons because it lets the motor breathe. Get a set of big header mufflers to complete the package and dump the exhaust just in front of the rear wheel wells. Grab onto a pair of these and really make some noise! (The pipes, MAN! Not the girl!) Personally, I have used and liked both mufflers on my headers but I prefer the Turbos over the Bullets in sound quality.

Later you may want to consider stroking the motor. A stroker kit is a major upgrade on FUN and really wakes up the motor. Check out some of these completed stroker kits:

Speed-O-Motive's 2008 Customer 408cid Small Block Chrysler
    6-Pack Small Block Mopar 450HP & 500FT/LBS Torque

Speed-O-Motive's Official 2007 408 cid Small Block Mopar Muscle Challenge on the Dyno
    WoW! Sounds sweeter than any Small Block Chevy I've ever heard!

1974 Plymouth Barracuda at idle w/408 cid Small Block MOPAR
    The exhaust tone has the very same growl as my old 440 GTX!

500hp 408 cid Small Block Dodge Ram SST
    The exhaust sounds better than the newer Corvettes!

408 cid Small Block MOPAR in a Dakota R/T Open Headers
    WoW! What a sweet ride. Stab it a fewer times to wake up the neighbors. This one is FUN!

Brown 1970 Dart Swinger with a Stroked 408 MOPAR Small Block
    WoW! This package is potent! Consistent 10.79 second clocking @ 128+ mph in quarter mile competition.

Years of Experience

Wing you are a wealth of information. I did get glasspacks but am going to dump it straight out the back. With all the field and woods driving I do, I am worried that something may get ripped off. As far as a stroker kit, I purchased a dirt modified roller on Thursday and need to focus my funds for a motor.