Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any mechanics out and about? I got a free shitbox 77 Honda Accord, with pleather interior and ac. 145k original miles, never wrecked.....

Years of Experience

Default Any mechanics out and about? I got a free shitbox 77 Honda Accord, with pleather interior and ac. 145k original miles, never wrecked.....

77 Honda Accord, 145k original miles, never wrecked, tranny rebuilt. Hasn't been started in 8 years, the rear brakes prevent the back wheels from moving at all, but the car's body is in excellent condition. That's why I took it off the guy who offered to me. I was on a locate and the guy offered the car to me after I showed interest in it. It looks almost exactly like the shitbox on Employee of the Month (Cook, Simpson) ..(I say that because there's 2 Employee's of the Month, one has Matt Dillon in it.)

I really wanna fix up my shitbox and put around town in it, unfortunately I have zero mechanical aptitude. YAHOO PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE A MECHANIC! lol. ;-)
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Any mechanics out and about? I got a free shitbox 77 Honda Accord, with pleather interior and ac. 145k original miles, never wrecked.....

not moved in 8 yrs eh... gonna be fun.

Id be thinking along the lines of getting the drums loose first just so you can roll it around. I have no idea about Hondas.. but id think in 77 they prolly have drum brakes on the rear. Probably need to spray alot of break-free (etc) along the gap between the drum and wheel assembly, then carefully smack the drums off .. everything is gonna have to be cleaned (of the rust and that penetrating lube) and replacement parts where needed.
    Hopefully you can get an aftermarket replacement carb for it, cause rebuilding a carb is a bit of a chore.. its gonna be gummed up solid. Keep track of all the emissions hoses etc.
    Wonder if you can spin the oil pump without starting the engine (like at the distributor in old chevys).. I would drain/replace the oil then spin the oil pump and check for oil coming out of the (removed) valve cover(s).
    Spark plugs, wires maybe.. the fuel pump might be gummed up to.. easy if its mechanical at the block.. not sure if they might have used electrical pumps back then ?

Sounds like a big bag of work you got there scap.. best of luck.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Default Re: Any mechanics out and about? I got a free shitbox 77 Honda Accord, with pleather interior and ac. 145k original miles, never wrecked.....

yeah scap after reading what dave had to say......looks like you have a bigger project on your hands....getting rid of that thing.....i'll ask around
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

i don't have a lick of mechanial trainning...i don't even change the oil on my own car....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Shoot me a PM, I've got my hands tied at the moment. I can get ya a good bit of how- to's and can walk ya through some stuff as well.
    Atheism-The belief that there was nothing and nothing hapened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replication bits which then turned into dinosaurs...makes perfect sense.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Advice........RUN! Call the junkyard and have them come get it.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

jj- I'll be shooting you a PM here shortly in a week or so, I appreciate any knowledge you send my way in advance buddy.

to yahoo and ifinditunderground,

This is the car that started it all. And I got low miles, only 145,000. All highway. That's nothing for a 77, and she runs like a top. Totally mint. I tell you what, if you can find this particular model with these low miles, BUY IT. Don't think about it, BUY IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjIPeXT4T-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASUBZY-ZGI
    Last edited by scap; October 20th, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Years of Experience

a hint of luxury.

Years of Experience

Years of Experience

This car was this guy's baby. Dude included about 500.00 worth of shit with the car, look at all this.

He felt the need to 'spread the wealth around.'
    Last edited by scap; October 20th, 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Years of Experience

scap i think you still need to sell it........ look in the quik quarter.....or keep it as a classic and fix it up when we get rich off utiliquest.......

Years of Experience

If someone offered me 500 for it, I'd let em have it for that. But nobody would do that, so I'll just keep it...and let the shitbox rot in my driveway until I fix it up. I am starting to really sound like a Livingston parish type of person :-(

It may be uglier than home made sin, but some new fluids and a lil time gettin it running.... hell who cares what it looks like if it still runs.
    Atheism-The belief that there was nothing and nothing hapened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replication bits which then turned into dinosaurs...makes perfect sense.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I apologize for my negativity earlier, I did something similar with my very first car........OMG was that an expensive mess, but I sure loved that Mustang. Keep us posted and I have my fingers crossed for you.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

well there you go scap....finally some hope from jj and ifindit......and by the way the livingston parish joke was a classic,,,,,,,,,,hahahhahaahah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast