Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Metal Detecting

Years of Experience

Default Metal Detecting

Well I've wanted one since I was a kid and now my daughter wants one. She thinks I'm being super nice and buying one for us to share but really she just gave me a good excuse to go buy one and the wife can't say anything about me spending money on stupid stuff because it is "for our daughter". We are headed to Dunhams to buy their beginner model to start. If we keep using it I will buy better ones later.

She mainly wants to go to parks and baseball fields after games and look for coins or jewelry people dropped. I want to use all my inside knowledge as a locator and look for old relics. I can think of quite a few places to look where the old farm houses are gone but I know where they were and they are about to be developed so no one should care if I snoop around.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Metal Detecting

Around where old homes were, or still are, you will not detect but will dig up are marbles. Being glass you don't know there are there until you dig them up incidentally to looking for metal object.

When I was young and digging for planting or whatever around older homes they were everywhere.

Playing marbles was a very big thing years ago and some of these have been in the ground over a hundred years. They can range in price from a few cents to a few dollars to tens of dollars and rare ones for thousands of dollars.

Don't throw away any marbles you dig up.

In your work area you can try this in some of your locations during lunch. With your work gear on and carrying a paint stick nobody will think twice about it. I have seen metal detectors used to find old pipes and such and buried manhole lids. If asked then those are the things you are looking for.

Some years ago a guy went around the Chesapeake Bay at the sites of what were once swimming beaches decades ago. These were popular little beaches back in the 50,s 40's even early 1900s. He found the usual coins but also much jewelery.
    Last edited by ProfessionalLocator; June 23rd, 2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: addition

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Those are all great places. Around here we have a ski resort that people like to hit at the end of ski season when the snow starts to melt down. Hands get cold and fingers shrink slightly. Pulling off a glove too quickly sometimes results in a ring flying off without the owner even knowing it.

Unfortunately out here in Idaho we didn't have the population years ago that the Eastern States had/have and the sites that are popular today were mostly popular back in the 50's as well. They have been hit many times over. This isn't completely true, of course, but it stands to reason.

We also have an old prison "The Idaho State Penitentiary" that I've visited with a metal detector (MineLab) and found a few pennies and other older junk metals. Nothing valuable.

If you get serious about it, one great tool that I've used is a metal detector probe. It is a mini metal detector that you use to pinpoint your object after you start digging for it. You can see an example here: Pinpointer Probe. Well worth it if you ask me.

Good luck Goldenboy. I hope your daughter gets the bug so you can upgrade the equipment. Who knows. You might be able to convince the wife to get 2 so you and your daughter can spend more quality time together.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Today was our trial run. We started out finding 5 nails. I was sick of digging up nails so I turned the machine to coins only and we,found 11 cents. No old coins but the machine definitely works. I will probably buy another one if my daughter stays interested.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

You got me interested in metal detecting again so I've been on eBay checking out the prices of good used ones. I just might scrape together a few dollars and get one.

Years of Experience

Steve if you don't run a metal detecting forum yet and just want to browse one there is a really good one out there called Friendly Metal Detecting Forum.

Anyways just wanted to let you know I found my first jewelry. It's .925 silver and not worth anything but I'm happy as a lark.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

i bought a $40 one to help me find valve covers that might be buried under some sod. i haven't used it much

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Finding stuff like that is very exciting. It lets you know that there is stuff in the ground out there. Some of it may be worth quite a bit.

I read a story about a guy who carried his metal detector with him. He was in an old part of town (don't know what town) when he ran across a crew replacing cracked and aging sidewalk. He jumped out with his metal detector and found a gold coin where they had removed the sidewalk. Very cool.

Several years ago I owned a MineLab Explorer SE. It is a great metal detector. I bought it for 1200.00 but had to sell it when we lost our contract with the gas company. I sold a few things around then... along with my house. GRRRR. I only got about 750 for the detector. Well, as luck would have it I found one on ebay for 650 with free shipping. I snatched that bad boy up and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

See it here: Minelab Explorer SE w EXTRAS Nice Condition | eBay

I'm going to use it mainly for the sporting events here. We have hundreds of people that go to these soccer games in the evening and who knows how much money is lost pulling out change to give to kids. And this hot weather has to make them fingers nice and sweaty. I bet rings fall off without the owners even knowing it.

QUICK TIP: my brother said that when he metal detected he had people approach him asking if he found their lost ring. Always say no but ask them to describe it so if you do find it you will know it is theirs. They want you to show them what you found so they can claim it as their own. If you did find one and they describe it then you know they are the correct owner.

I will check out that forum.

Happy Hunting
    Goldenboy likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Holy Cow... now that's a forum: Currently Active Users: 638 (190 members and 448 guests)

Years of Experience

TreasureNet this is a good forum that covers metal detecting as well as gold panning and other things. lots of stuff on metal detecting.

Years of Experience

i am curious to know how she likes it Golden ????? let me know
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I just got my pin pointer in the mail and it definitely speeds up finding your treasure/trash once you dig out the plug.

The silver pendant was.found at a trio of baseball diamonds.

Years of Experience

Here is my first weeks haul. There is quite a bit more pocket change but I'm attempting to clean it up. I still haven't found any coins older than 1962 but still having a blast.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Pretty cool.

Old tokens are supposed to be as valuable as old coins.

Years of Experience

Well the collection is getting bigger and so is my addiction. Hopefully work slows down so I have more time to metal detect. Here is a few pictures with most my finds so far. I didn't show a picture of the thousand pulltabs I've dug up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast