Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joel E

Thread: Fishing

Default Fishing

So, I never really cared for fishing much. My dad took me a few times when I was a kid, but he wasn't into it big, so I never saw the good parts of it. The saltwater big fish being reeled in, etc, I never saw true fishing, so I never liked it. When my pawpaw died, after his funeral at his house, which is in a neighborhood surrounded by a lake; I went fishing with my little 6 yr old nephew, pawpaw's tradition was to spit on the bait before he casted it, so, that's what I do...and that's what I'll always do...just the way it's gonna be, tradition is tradition.(he was an expert fisherman)

But, all bullshit aside I casted that line and within 30 seconds a 10-15 pound alligator gar roasted my bait. I tried to pull it in, but the rod I was using was basically a toy, it was my nephews and a kid's starter rod. Maybe if I was better at fishing I would've reeled it in, lol...anyway..

My pawpaw left me a '76 Cathedral that has the standard engine, and it runs, believe it or not. No ethanol gasoline has been put into this engine. It really runs, no bullshit. I know that's hard to believe.

My main problem now, is a trailer. Where the hell can I find a good, used cheap boat trailer? Or, should I go all out and get a new one and get reamed by a salesman? I realize the trailer is the most important aspect of a fishing trip because if a wheel rolls past you going 60mph, you have a problem. So I want a good trailer...Anyway I know alotta you guys fish and me and my lady like it alot so we gonna start doin' it as soon as I get a trailer for this boat. I know some guys who are hardcore into it and they just tell me to check the local paper..........lol...

any info/advice would be well appreciated, laters all
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

Default Re: Fishing

You may want to try craigslist.org. You can put a wanted ad on there. Alot of lakeowners buy boats and don't want the trailers.

Check the local boat yard's for a used one. Most important thing is check the bearings. Also as common seance when you back the trailer into the water please unplug the trailer lights form the tow vehicle first, or carry extra fuses. One other thing try to get an aluminum trailer it will last longer.

Years of Experience

good luck scap!!!! maybe there's one at FREDS!!!! nice!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by Born_Annoyed View Post
    Check the local boat yard's for a used one. Most important thing is check the bearings. Also as common seance when you back the trailer into the water please unplug the trailer lights form the tow vehicle first, or carry extra fuses. One other thing try to get an aluminum trailer it will last longer.
    Thanks for the advice

yahoo, there's this fish that I have in this book that reminds me of you but only because of it's name. it's called a 'wahoo' . apparently they're pretty rare around here, but I read in the book that it's been recorded that one actually jumped over a boat before. I talked to a guy who fished since he was a kid and he told me they're pretty rare, but he never saw one jump. He told me they're fast as hell ...it's a cool looking fish..I want to catch one and mount it for shits and giggles

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

When I ws in elemenatry school, in 1960's, my dad taught me how to fly fish.. loved it ever since. I love to find a bed of Bluegill, sunfish or crappie.. waer 'em out with one ply or popper.

Looking to find some trout or stream fishing buddies when wife & I get settled into Asheville vicinity.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Go into Cherokee and fish up near the AoA camp ground. Caught some really nice one there. But that area is not so good fly fishing. There are some real nice streams on state lands that are good fly fishing waters.

Years of Experience

I hear fishing is good on the Cherokee Reservation.

As far as [ any] waters not being good for fly fishing?..I call it a welcomed challenge. Which is why I own a 4 foot , one piece graphite flipping rod..add small fly reel, floating w/f line...... let her drift down stream or carefully toss shorter casts upstream.

I love to find bream - sunfish or crappie beds in ponds. With a single fly.. I can wear them out..ain't braggin if you can back it up, but I have never caught fish larger than 3 lbs regardless of method..ONE DAY...