Thread: Anyone running Linux?

Default Anyone running Linux?

I recently set up my computer to multi-boot XP, Vista, and Kubuntu. So far, I really like Kubuntu. I can do just about everything in it that I can in XP, except for two hardware specific issues. One is my SmartCard reader for my military ID, and the other is a Skype phone for USB.

Other than that, everything on my system works well, and the connection with the internet is faster too. Multimedia is handled easily, and any software you need is free(my favorite part).

Vista is a pig. It takes forever to load, and programs take a good 5 seconds longer to load then they do in Kubuntu. Even XP loads programs faster than Vista.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Anyone running Linux?

I have one machine that has dual optical drives and I run Knoppix from one of them with the internal hard drive acting as pure media storage. Knoppix runs better from the CD than from the HD as it was built to decompress on command entry. It is way faster than any Windows OS machine and so far, no driver/hardware issues. I tried Ubuntu, but I had loads of driver issues, so I reverted back to Knoppix. After reading your post, I checked into Kubuntu and it uses the same KDE as Knoppiz, so it may be the answer I was looking for.

The email clients for Linux are pretty good and there are several out there as well as browsers like Mozzilla, Opera for Linux, Safari and a few others.

Oh... y'all are talking WAY OVER my head!! I did recognize skype... I use that to talk with my son overseas! I know enough about computers to probably screw one up... kind of like cars to me... I don't care how it works... if I must... I will put gas in it to make it go... other than that... I am clueless! I just want it to work!

Years of Experience

run vista over this way...so far i'm satisfied!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    run vista over this way...so far i'm satisfied!!!!
    Vista is not bad, just miserably slow on some functions. We are migrating our business machines from XP Pro to Vista Biz Ultimate for network security reasons. We had to go through and replace a number of machines and add memory to all the units we are keeping in order to run Vista Biz Ultimate. It is a notrious memory hog.

We testing a couple of machines with the new OS against our servers to see where the problems are going to arise. We have 60 + computers in our main office on a Windows Exchange Network, plus another 60 at various offices and remote connection sites, so our secrity issues are significant. Since Microsoft is not going to support XP much longer, we have no choice but to make the switch. It is an expensive proposition. Unit upgrades, memory upgrades and software licenses make for a $35k + expense...Thanks Microsoft!

Best linux I could find is pclinux os2007. Its way way way better than winblows.Every time I fire up a machine that has microcrap software on it I wanna scream . I have a old pc with a pIII 700mhz 512mb ram and I can run pc linux with beryl 3d desktop cube and still have more than enough memory. Windows is so overrated

Back in the day I ran NOVELL, then tried REDHAT, and ran NT for a while. But NT had a nickname called NICE TRY. That version of windows was useless. Now I run Windows XP. How is Vista by the way?
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

6 Computers in my home. 3 desktops. One desktop runs xp pro no problems, it's an older machine. Mainly for my boy's. Another Compaq presario in the garage came with Vista and was slow for sure then I updated the box with Vista SP-1 and was even slower. So downloaded Ubuntu and installed on an external USB drive. This is one of the best operating systems I have ever used, So much in fact I went out and bought a 200 Gig external drive and installed same copy on it and use it on the other desktop in the bedroom. I have 3 laptops 2 running vista and one old Dell running XP-Home. My advice is don't update VISTA with SP-1 until all the bugs are worked out.

I'm kind of new to Linux and am still in the learning process. But from the experience I have had so far I'm totally inpressed. Only problem Is if you have a wireless network it can become a challenge. I have found that using a LinkSys compact wirless G adapter has solved many problems.

Marc...