Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2009 Locate Rodeo

Years of Experience

Default Re: 2009 Locate Rodeo

1 week away...is everyone ready?

Nope, just stuck here in hell.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

It was hot at competition today, but I really can't complain about the temperature for Atlanta at the end of July. I was finished and on the shuttle back to the hotel by 11:45AM and it probably had only gotten up to 85*F or so. There were only 78 (I think) competitors total so things went much faster than in years prior. It was nice to not have to wait in the heat for hours at each event site.

I located gas again this year and everything went smoothly except for going three seconds over the time limit on my first event. I took quite a bit of time trying to figure the map out, but never made sense of it. A few hours later I realized that I had my north and south reversed... doh! I miss the mountains in Utah - I never lose my sense of direction there. When my time expired, all my gear was zipped up and I only had four coins off the table, so it cost me a total of 54 points. That equates to marking something 4'6" off! Those three seconds probably cost me any chance of placing this year, and they were my only infractions for the day. If I had known time was about to expire, I could have called time while still in the locate area for a far lesser point infraction. Seems a shame to toss a thousand dollar trip out the window over three seconds. Expensive lesson, I suppose.

The LFH was much harder this year... it took me 2:44 to complete it and I was hustling more than I would have liked. For comparison, I completed it last year in about 1:40 and took 3rd place with a score of 997/1000. I'll be interested to see the master scoring sheet after the awards banquet tonight. Every person I spoke to about it said they had a pretty shaky signal and so did I. I chose the VIVAX vLocPro for the whole shebang and couldn't be happier with the performance of my equipment. Their western sales manager, Dale Berryman, was kind enough to loan me one of their newest units. He's a great guy and I'd recommend him to anyone.

Despite my 54 infraction points, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed to be on the podium tonight! Many other gas guys mentioned a few screw ups, so I guess it's still anybody's game. Odds are, however, that someone out there performed some solid locates and did not have any penalties. I guess we'll know in a few hours!

Jared
    Last edited by Jared; July 25th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Big Boots and 2Rude..
    Just to answer your question, we had one person from Central Locating company (they have a cusinc.com addy) who competed. They qualified through the Sunshine state one call No Bull competition (scholarship of sorts). I was also told they were having cut backs. No one else was represented. We did miss the SM&P and CLS exposure. They did it big in the past. Everyone cut back this year and as Jared pointed out there were less competitors than years past, but we had a blast and had winners. We'll post info soon.. Getting it all sorted out and making sure we have everything straight before posting everywhere live.

Anyone wanting to be added to the Locate Rodeo email list, shoot me an email and I will be glad to add you. My email is Fbowen@gaupc.com

Fiona
    Locate Rodeo Event Coordinator
    UPC Liaison Manager

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123