View Poll Results: Do shoe inserts help you?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 41.67%
  • no

7 58.33%

Thread: Walking Comfort

Lightbulb Walking Comfort

I did not see it, and apologize if it is already posted.

I know most of us locators get a stretch to walk more than a mile sometimes, so i thought i would offer a little help in making it more comfortable.

I had to do a project that stretched for 8 miles, both sides of the road, several telephone lines (separate trenches--of course!) gas, and power on both sides, plus crossings and the new (telephone and cable) fiber that where being placed. you can imagine the walking involved. What i did was this:

I got two (2) pair of Dr Scholls regular Gel inserts, and one of the heal support Gel inserts.
    I put Gold Bond Medicated powder in boots, and on my feet (helps with the smell, and also has a medication that helps with pain--don't know why, but it does)
    I put the two "flat" (regular gel) souls in and the heal support on top, i was able to walk very comfortably and still be within OSHA regulations with my steal toe boots. The powder helps keep your feet dry, and keeps the leather from irritating your ankles and toes.
    I hope that works for some of you out there.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Walking Comfort

we have New Balance stores out here, they take a computer scan of your feet to check the pressure points/how you stand, I waked in to check them out and walked out with a new pair of boots/insoles. I knew I waled on the outside of my heel bit it turns out I am getting flat feet also. So far they are VERY comfortable.
    dunham boots, $129
    insoles, $45

Years of Experience

I have been using Walkfit orthotics for about 5 years. I swear by them.

Years of Experience

I got a good pair or red wings that have lasted me years and are still comfortable without insoles.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I got a pair of Walmart hiking boots. Works fine for me.

Years of Experience

got me some of those too and walked straight thru them....ha....hole in the bottom ...less than 2 months old!!! put some insoles in and they slid around to much???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

When I first started I bought a pair of wal-mart boots ($25), I walked straight through them in 3 days!
    They were talking!

I went back to wal-mart and got a pair of $50 boots by brahma waterproof hiking boots and have had them for 8 months now.
    I also use Dr. Scholls inserts and can't imaging doing the job without them!
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    When I first started I bought a pair of wal-mart boots ($25), I walked straight through them in 3 days!
    They were talking!

I went back to wal-mart and got a pair of $50 boots by brahma waterproof hiking boots and have had them for 8 months now.
    I also use Dr. Scholls inserts and can't imaging doing the job without them!
    Try to find sketchers they are very comfy ,and last a good 6-8months

in my experience it is worth the investment to get quality boots. I too have bought $30 boots and regretted it. I'm currently using the timberland Pro and i think its the best boot i've had so far. Having said that, i've never owned redwings. I'm early in my 3rd year with the pros and haven't replaced the insole yet.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I have had redwings and they have not always lasted as long as the price i paid. I have used the herman sports brand from walmart. They are around $35 and two pair would get me through the year. The commercial brands I find do not have a tongue that is sworn all the way up, so limits you to about 6 inches of water. Being a northern boy I have to switched to a different boot after November using that brand, but the military boot I wear now I use a wicker sock and a heavy wool sock and have worn them all winter long. I buy a military boot made by Bates that has a tongue sewed all the way up and is lined by gortex. The gotex is waterproof and I can step into almost a foot of water and no leaking into boot. The soles tend to wear better, and I am able to get them resoled . I condition the leather and do spray a water repellent on them. With doing that I able to wear them longer. used I pay anywhere form $25-75, I can order them for like $150.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by db90 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jka0073 View Post
    [M]ost locators get a stretch to walk more than a mile sometimes, so I thought I would offer a little help in making it more comfortable.

I got a pair of Dr Scholls regular Gel inserts, and [a pair] of the heal support Gel inserts.
    I put Gold Bond Medicated powder in boots, and on my feet (helps with the smell, and also has a medication that helps with pain)
    I put the two "flat" (regular gel) souls in and the heal support on top. I was able to walk very comfortably. The powder helps keep your feet dry, and keeps the leather from irritating your ankles and toes.
    I got a pair of Walmart hiking boots. Works fine for me.
    Got me some of those too and walked straight thru them....ha....hole in the bottom ...less than 2 months old!!!
    When I first started I bought a pair of Wal-Mart boots ($25), I walked straight through them in 3 days! They were talking! I also use Dr. Scholls inserts and can't imaging doing the job without them!
    In my experience it is worth the investment to get quality boots. I too have bought $30 boots and regretted it.
    I'm with db90 - Taking care of your feet should be "Priority One!" Investing in a quality boot pays back huge dividends. Work boots are just like airplane tickets. The more you pay, the further you go. When you start buying comfort in the hundred dollar plus boot zone, the Wolverine and Georgia boots get you a seat way in back by the sloshing toilets. The Redwings get you a seat over the wing and the Danner boots get you a seat in first class.

I've been through all the cheapie hiking boots. Every one of them hurt my feet after 20 days of use and blew out the sides three weeks later. No more for me! Now I buy the Wolverines and Redwings at the discounted AT&T price through my local boot supply stores. It gives me +/- $12 off the Wolverines and +/- $25 off the Redwings.

I also agree with jka0073 & Nb22x, locators need to be gelling to have happy feet. I have tried all types of the Wal-Mart stocked gel insoles. These are the only ones I've found to work for me:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4]I'm with db90 - Taking care of your feet should be "Priority One!" Investing in a quality boot pays back huge dividends. Work boots are just like airplane tickets. The more you pay, the further you go. When you start buying comfort in the hundred dollar plus boot zone, the Wolverine and Georgia boots get you a seat way in back by the sloshing toilets. The Redwings get you a seat over the wing and the Danner boots get you a seat in first class.

I've been through all the cheapie hiking boots. Every one of them hurt my feet after 20 days of use and blew out the sides three weeks later. No more for me! Now I buy the Wolverines and Redwings at the discounted AT&T price through my local boot supply stores. It gives me +/- $12 off the Wolverines and +/- $25 off the Redwings.

I also agree with jka0073 & Nb22x, locators need to be gelling to have happy feet. I have tried all types of the Wal-Mart stocked gel insoles. These are the only ones I've found to work for me:
    I should clarify that what I meant by cheap "Walmart hiking boots" was actually Brahma Boots sold by Walmart for $35.00. They work for me but everyone's feet are different. If your boots hurt your feet when you walk, get new ones. Get the best deal you can but you'll do yourself a major disservice trying to save a buck at the expense of your feet.

Years of Experience

The first pair of workboots I got, my dad bought me. I was eight, and they were for working in the garden. I have been a RedWing advocate ever since.
    Although I do give props to timberline and Doc Martens.
    My Bates sucked and put blister on my feet. My military issue were good after about a month of wear, but had to be replaced every 6 months.

Buy inserts only if you have foot pain, excessively sweaty/smelly feet, or some other condition diagnosed by a doctor, or if the original inserts wear out.

I've found that the best way to stay comfortable in my boots is to keep my feet dry.