Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark
  • 1 Post By UULC
  • 1 Post By yahoo

Thread: Is Tomorrow A Good Day To Die?

Years of Experience

Default Is Tomorrow A Good Day To Die?

Do you practice safety everyday when parked alongside a highway? On EVERY locate? Won't ever happen to me, right? WRONG. You can be the safest person in the world and it still might not be good enough. I got the vest on, cones out and my strobe is flashing - what more can I do?!

You can have the attitude like I do on my bike. EVERYONE is out to kill you!! Keep your head up and keep an eye on traffic. What about that guy working third shift that stopped by the tavern for a few beers? What about the junkie that just slammed some heroin and is about to nod off... Trust me, those type folks are out there every day. Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash.

Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics

Here are some cool workzone facts:

• More than 40,000 people are injured each year as a result of crashes in work zones

• One work zone injury every 9 minutes = 160 a day

• One work zone fatality every 8 hours - 3 a day

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...LjDU4R-8TxSs8w

In my 25+ years working alongside the road I have seen some alarming things happen. Had a semi cut a corner, hit a barrel and knock a co-worker into a manhole he was climbing down into. We had signs up and barrels out.
    Had a wheel come off a semi and almost wipe me out.
    Saw an old guy in a Cadillac hit a barricade and bust out his pass. side window. He pulled over, looked back and looked at his car, hopped back in his ride and just kept on truckin. Many other close calls I'm sure I am forgetting.

The thing is - it really can happen to you. ^^^ Where do those stats come from ? You might not be able to control that car coming up behind you with a drunk/drug user behind the wheel. Or that high school kid that just got his license and is texting his buddy. I don't know about you, or if you have Children, but I want to go home to my Family everyday.

Just a friendly reminder to keep an eye open guys.

And what about those people out there that are just plain cRaZy?!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Is Tomorrow A Good Day To Die?

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I actually work with a contract surveyor who was in a designated work zone with signs, cones, and reader board, and he was safely on the sidewalk with his vest and hardhat on. It still didn't stop the crazy lady who missed all the cones and signs and drove up onto the sidewalk to "avoid" the stopped traffic and plowed into him.

I'm kinda fortunate that I spend alot of my locating time behind a security fence, but I never take my safety for granted. I don't trust anyone watching my back as well. Survival of the fittest, smartest, and luckiest unfortunately.

mke

The surveyor lived. He was banged up pretty bad. He still doesn't remember what happened. He knows because everyone tells him, but he said he was looking through the total station and then woke up 50' away with tons of people around.

Years of Experience

I try to be safe for me and the next person ....that is the spirit the GOOD LORD gave me !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Im more scared of the old people drivers on the road. I have seen more of them just swerving down the hwy at 55 mph than any teen texting

Years of Experience
    30+

Yesterday afternoon I was marking on a State Road with a 4' wide shoulder and our FOC runs under the shoulder. I was walking facing traffic and a car crossed the fog line and was driving down the paved shoulder. I was watching this 3500# car coming at me. I stepped into the grass and as the car passed I held out my wand and squeezed the trigger. Beside the wand hitting the car I gave it a orange racing stripe. The man was holding a phone and looking at papers when HE hit the paint stick. He passed and turned around and came back to me to make sure I was OK. He thought he had hit me. Once he seen the orange strip his attitude changed. I told him to call the Police and we will let them work it out. After a exchange of words he left. He knew he was wrong.

I will paint a side of a vehicle if it comes within arms length of me and not slow down.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KaineF View Post
    Im more scared of the old people drivers on the road. I have seen more of them just swerving down the hwy at 55 mph than any teen texting
    I like Senior citizens, and some day I might be one too, but these are the worst offenders from my experience. We shut down one lane on a one-way two lane road once, barrels, barricades, signs and everything. I look behind me and here is an old guy driving up behind me going the wrong way on this one-way street... you just never know.

Years of Experience

only in Wisconsin ,,, Mark !!!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mark likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato