Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poison Ivy

Years of Experience

Default Re: Poison Ivy

Here's some interesting facts about poison ivy.

Myths versus Facts

Myth: Scratching poison ivy blisters will spread the rash.
    Fact: The fluid in the blisters willl not spread the rash. Before blisters form, the rash can only be spread by unbound urushiol. Avoid scratching of blisters. Fingernails may carry bacteria that could cause an infection.

Myth: Poison ivy rash is "contagious."
    Fact: The rash is a reaction to urushiol. The rash cannot pass from person to person after the urushiol binds.

Myth: After the first time, I can't get poison ivy again.
    Fact: Although not everyone reacts to poison ivy upon first or subsequent exposures, people generally become more sensitized with each contact and may react more severely to subsequent exposures. In addition, the reaction may last longer.

Myth: Once allergic, always allergic to poison ivy.
    Fact: A person's sensitivity changes over time, even from season to season. People who were sensitive to poison ivy as children may not be allergic as adults.

Myth: Dead poison ivy plants are no longer toxic.
    Fact: Urushiol remains active for up to five years. Never handle dead plants that look like poison ivy without proper protection.

Talking Re: Poison Ivy

Gypsy your husband should ask for your co. to pay his dr. bills. Another reason for the family forum. Fallout for being married to a locator!!!!! We should get same benefits as military spouses!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Poison Ivy is the greatest evil on the planet.....there isn't a single place on my body I haven't had it. Including inside my nose and under my eyelids. It's is good to work behind a desk....
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Poison Ivy is the greatest evil on the planet.....there isn't a single place on my body I haven't had it. Including inside my nose and under my eyelids. It's is good to work behind a desk....
    ifindit.........dude where you been ....it;s good to hear your voice again!!!

Years of Experience

Kind of a funny story about me and poison ivy. I used to get paid a pretty decent sum of money to race a mountain bike when I was younger. I started to get into endurance races and did 24 hour solo in Minnesota. It was miserable from the start, raining for the first six hours. Our team support made a ton of food and I filled up on pasta salad. Around 2 in the morning it all of a sudden felt like a cat was trying to crawl out of my bum. All I could do was pedal straight into the woods, drop my shorts and pray. I grabbed what was available for wipe and it turned out to be poison ivy. I raced another 14 hours and my entire body was covered in welts by the finish. I won't describe what the next week of my life was like. Ever since then poison ivy doesn't affect me. Sorry this got so long...........

Years of Experience

Damn..............My last reply was a real thread killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Damn..............My last reply was a real thread killer.
    Well Hell Bubba, no one could top your experience unless the claimed they had used Poison Ivy for a Condom!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Poison Ivy - Leaves of 3, leave them be.

I'm not plagued with poison ivy welts where I am tanned. Where I am not tanned , I get a terrible reaction. Once I unknowingly had the toxic poison ivy urushiol on my fingers. I drained my radiator and my stop cock swelled to twice it's size for 4 days! The fluid flowed without interruption during the recovery.

Now, that's a 'thread killer'! Jeez, Wing, that was a lot more info than any of us needed(Twice the size for 4 days-Hmmmm?)
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12